Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 11 vs. ADEL - AO, Tues 11/08 @ 6:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
After tonight's murder scene that was a win over Sydney, we go to 5-1-4.

The road-trip continues, this time heading to Adelaide. The AFL earlier this week changed this game from 7:10pm to 6:35pm to allow the team to fly back to Queensland afterwards.

Sydney was a must-win, and this game is no different. Despite the closeness of the ladder, we are clinging onto our top four chances, but a top eight opportunity is still completely within our grasp.

Adelaide are obviously in shocking form this season, yet to register a win under their new coach. They lost to Sydney by three points in Round 1 and to Essendon by three points in Round 8, but have otherwise been lucky to get within four goals of their opponents.

Given the injury to the likes of Rory Sloane in the middle, you would expect our midfield dominance to really set the tone in this game.

I suspect that the team will look to establish a lead early and unfortunately play defensively to ensure that the recent travel and short turn-arounds have little impact on the result. As much as we want complete dominance over the bottom side, we should come to terms pre-game with the idea that it's all about the four points. Doesn't matter how we get them.

LAST TIME THEY MET

Despite leading by just 17 points at half time, Collingwood defeated a then-ninth placed Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval by 66 points in Round 22, 2019 (17.12.114 to 6.12.48). This was our second highest winning margin of the season behind the Gold Coast game two weeks prior.

Collingwood had the lead all day with big performances from Scott Pendlebury (34 disposals), Brayden Maynard (30 disposals and a goal), Jamie Elliott (5 goals). Josh Thomas kicked 3 goals. Adams, WHE, Phillips and Varcoe all kicked 2 each. Taylor Adams had a game-high 7 clearances to go with his pair.

For Adelaide, Brodie Smith had 29 disposals, Paul Seedsman had 30 touches (and 680 metres gained) and Dracy Fogarty kicked 3.

Brodie Grundy took the chocolates against a Sam Jacobs and Reilly O'Brien double-team, taking 35 hit-outs and 17 disposals, to the Adelaide duo's combined totals of 27 hit-outs and 21 disposals.

Key personnel missing included Stephenson (suspension).

MATCH UPS

Who knows!

CHANGES

Will Pendlebury make a return? He initially said "a couple of games" and it has now been just that. Doesn't sound promising.

WHE out injured.

Moore due for a rest. Grundy likewise.

IN: Varcoe, Broomhead, Murphy
OUT: WHE (inj), Treloar (inj), Quaynor (inj)

TIP

Collingwood by plenty or 20.

After tonight's murder scene that was a win over Sydney, we go to 5-1-4.

The road-trip continues, this time heading to Adelaide. The AFL earlier this week changed this game from 7:10pm to 6:35pm to allow the team to fly back to Queensland afterwards.

Sydney was a must-win, and this game is no different. Despite the closeness of the ladder, we are clinging onto our top four chances, but a top eight opportunity is still completely within our grasp.

Adelaide are obviously in shocking form this season, yet to register a win under their new coach. They lost to Sydney by three points in Round 1 and to Essendon by three points in Round 8, but have otherwise been lucky to get within four goals of their opponents.

Given the injury to the likes of Rory Sloane in the middle, you would expect our midfield dominance to really set the tone in this game.

I suspect that the team will look to establish a lead early and unfortunately play defensively to ensure that the recent travel and short turn-arounds have little impact on the result. As much as we want complete dominance over the bottom side, we should come to terms pre-game with the idea that it's all about the four points. Doesn't matter how we get them.

LAST TIME THEY MET

Despite leading by just 17 points at half time, Collingwood defeated a then-ninth placed Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval by 66 points in Round 22, 2019 (17.12.114 to 6.12.48). This was our second highest winning margin of the season behind the Gold Coast game two weeks prior.

Collingwood had the lead all day with big performances from Scott Pendlebury (34 disposals), Brayden Maynard (30 disposals and a goal), Jamie Elliott (5 goals). Josh Thomas kicked 3 goals. Adams, WHE, Phillips and Varcoe all kicked 2 each. Taylor Adams had a game-high 7 clearances to go with his pair.

For Adelaide, Brodie Smith had 29 disposals, Paul Seedsman had 30 touches (and 680 metres gained) and Dracy Fogarty kicked 3.

Brodie Grundy took the chocolates against a Sam Jacobs and Reilly O'Brien double-team, taking 35 hit-outs and 17 disposals, to the Adelaide duo's combined totals of 27 hit-outs and 21 disposals.

Key personnel missing included Stephenson (suspension).

MATCH UPS

Who knows!

CHANGES

Will Pendlebury make a return? He initially said "a couple of games" and it has now been just that. Doesn't sound promising.

WHE out injured.

Moore due for a rest. Grundy likewise.

IN: Varcoe, Broomhead, Murphy
OUT: WHE (inj), Treloar (inj), Quaynor (inj)

TIP

Collingwood by plenty or 20.
Needs more Thomas out.

I think a few weeks ago I said “never again” to Cox, but with Hoskin Elliott out, we need a stronger aerial presence. We just aren’t good enough currently to lower the eyes and spot up targets... so tall it is.

Out: Hoskin, Treloar, Quaynor (seriously we’re cursed)
In: Cox, Appleby, Rantall (maybe?)

Elliott to be full time in the midfield to replace Treloar.

What hurts most about the three injuries is we can’t rest other key injury prone players now... too many changes.

I know we have 3 forced changes for injury, but I'd still rest Grundy this week. We need the big fella up and about for the rest of the year. He deserves a break

OUT: Grundy, Quaynor, WHE, Treloar
IN: Cameron, Cox, ???, ???

Thomas and C Brown out please.Momentum killers of the worst order.I would also have Phillips out as well,but we’re running out of players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to Treloar?
iu

iu

Crows will be liking there Chances after Watching that Tonight.

IN: Cameron/Cox/Lynch Bianco Murphy T Brown Scharnberg Appelby Rantall

OUT: Grundy(Rested) Quyanor Treloar WHE Thomas C Brown Madgen

Injuries aside, how are C.Brown and Phillips not on everyone’s OUTs list? Two of the least impactful players over ever seen and both terrible kicks of the footy. And Thomas is in the worst slump ever. One of those three should be dropped along with the injured players to send a message.

OUT Treloar WHE Quaynor Phillips
IN Murphy Varcoe Broomhead Cox

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Injuries aside, how are C.Brown and Phillips not on everyone’s OUTs list? Two of the least impactful players over ever seen and both terrible kicks of the footy. And Thomas is in the worst slump ever. One of those three should be dropped along with the injured players to send a message.

OUT Treloar WHE Quaynor Phillips
IN Murphy Varcoe Broomhead Cox

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thomas in a slump? Thomas has always been a potato. He is just gone maximum potato since his re-inclusion into the side.

Out:
Moore (rested)
Treloar (injured)
WHE (injured)
Quaynor (injured)
Thomas ( Spud)
Grundy (rested)

In:
Dunn
Rantall
Appleby
Varcoe
Cox
Cameron

Cox/Cameron share the ruck duties.

We need a tall forward target Especially with Pendles, Howe & De GOEY out. Our other players can’t hit a target I50.

IN: Mayne, Broomhead, Wills, Varcoe
Out: Quaynor, Hoskin-Elliott, Treloar, Madgen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back