Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 11 vs. ADEL - AO, Tues 11/08 @ 6:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a strange reply, I can only assume you read my posts as pessimistic. Therefore I've edited it for you for accuracy, you're welcome.

The optimism is knowing your team has a very likely chance of winning a flag, watching the footy is a bonus.

Respectfully CB - if you actually think your posts are realistic you are mistaken.
When you fear we will never have luck on our side ( because that’s what history shows) then that is pessimism not realism.
Realism would be to acknowledge that bad luck is random, serendipitous and neither predictable or controllable, BUT most importantly nothing to fear as an ongoing blight on a club.

Respectfully CB - if you actually think your posts are realistic you are mistaken.
When you fear we will never have luck on our side ( because that’s what history shows) then that is pessimism not realism.
Realism would be to acknowledge that bad luck is random, serendipitous and neither predictable or controllable, BUT most importantly nothing to fear as an ongoing blight on a club.

You're like a harmonica re.. that's so beautiful.

I'm stoked to see Dunn back in. You know he's gonna give someone a hard night. Plus that hair deserves to grace the football field.

Also stoked to see Broomhead in. We're short of crumbers and if he can show some form there's a spot in the team for him. You never know he could save his career.

Sure it's a weakened team but I'm not sure what people were thinking would happen with this compressed fixture. There's some guys that are back in that will be really fighting for us and I'm looking forward to watching that.

Again it's not a fear, it's an observation, the reality is we are far from playing to potential and the fact that our potential does not match that of the contenders. We'd need to rely on them to be off their game while we're on. I'm not saying that is impossible, I'd just rather our potential would be better, would give us a better chance of winning it - instead of 'hoping' things fall our way.

Call it fear or pessimism all you will but it will not change fact it is what it is.

I agree with your comments but we were not the best team in 2011. We lost to the Cats 3 times (4 points, 96 points and 38 points which incl. the GF).

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

we won 20/22 games finished Top with a percentage of 167% - we were the best team over the entire 22 games.

It’s no different to Rich being the best in 2018 season but failing in the finals.

Crikey, it’s a weird depressing year, the fact we are watching footy is enough for me. I actually don’t give a FF about the criticism, outright know it all opinions of you BF posters, just accept it for what it is. Maybe it’s time to follow Saintly Viewed and other posters paths and log off.

Been wondering where Saintly Viewed went. I must have missed him singing off for good! Conversing with SV and his balanced views was one of the reasons I finally decided to create a BF account.

I feel like we’re disrespecting Adelaide if we think we’ll beat them on their home deck with those ins.

The side we have named is horrible - so lacking in speed, skill and firepower. It’s our worst line-up in 20 years.

I expect we will be soundly defeated. I’ll be surprised if we kick more than 4-5 goals. I hope I’m wrong about that but, if not, I hope the embarrassment leads to the subsequent deselection of slow, low-skill worker types like Wills Brown Mayne and Phillips, in favour of embracing skill speed and athleticism via guys like Murphy, Rantall, Bianco and Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How has nobody mentioned the ridiculous game off for Jamie for an ear injury! Only ever happens at Collingwood eh? Anyone got more detail, I remember the incident, but what is the damage?

I know there’s probably an element of “managed” to Jamie missing and not wanting to completely look like we are taking the p1ss out of Adelaide/disrespecting them.

but *...

Again it's not a fear, it's an observation, the reality is we are far from playing to potential and the fact that our potential does not match that of the contenders. We'd need to rely on them to be off their game while we're on. I'm not saying that is impossible, I'd just rather our potential would be better, would give us a better chance of winning it - instead of 'hoping' things fall our way.

Call it fear or pessimism all you will but it will not change fact it is what it is.
What?

I get it, but Dunn, Varcoe & Mayne won't be part of our next premiership side.
I hate this phrase more than anything. You don’t know when our next premiership will be. Richmond was a shambles in 2016 and they became a powerhouse overnight. You don’t know who will or won’t be in our next premiership side, and basing selection on that line of thinking is dumb.

What does Murphy have to do to get a game? He’s athletic, fast and a great kick. But no, let’s go with Brown, Mayne, Wills, Phillips, etc?

Murphy is not fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like we’re disrespecting Adelaide if we think we’ll beat them on their home deck with those ins.

The side we have named is horrible - so lacking in speed, skill and firepower. It’s our worst line-up in 20 years.

I expect we will be soundly defeated. I’ll be surprised if we kick more than 4-5 goals. I hope I’m wrong about that but, if not, I hope the embarrassment leads to the subsequent deselection of slow, low-skill worker types like Wills Brown Mayne and Phillips, in favour of embracing skill speed and athleticism via guys like Murphy, Rantall, Bianco and Wilson.

I think this is off the mark regarding us disrespecting Adelaide. Yes, our side is lacking in depth but that is to be expected when we have an injury list the size we do. Clearly the match committee has decided to go with players who have played at the level, despite their deficiencies. I hardly think adding four debutants to the mix is the ideal solution to get a better outcome considering Ruscoe is only playing his second game.

We have no idea how the young players are going in the hub and are basing thoughts on selection purely on perceptions of what they can offer based on glimpses we saw in February.

I don’t feel at all confident and know Adelaide will apply decent pressure but I’ll sure be thinking we can win the game. In fact, we should be considering ourselves lucky it is a winnable game with the weak side selected

How has nobody mentioned the ridiculous game off for Jamie for an ear injury! Only ever happens at Collingwood eh? Anyone got more detail, I remember the incident, but what is the damage?

I know there’s probably an element of “managed” to Jamie missing and not wanting to completely look like we are taking the p1ss out of Adelaide/disrespecting them.

but ****...
If you know that he’s being managed and the ear is an excuse then why the angst? They were never taking him, Moore or Reid to Adelaide with their soft tissue history.

Have you seen Wills run? And Mayne? And Brown? They’re slow AND terrible kicks.

What’s your point? None of that changes the fact that Murphy isn’t fast, which is what I was correcting....

but ****...
Injury or not, I am glad he is rested. The last thing we want is him straining his hammy playing 4 games in 13 days

It’s going to be wet I think so lack of speed shouldn’t be to much of an issue. Bigger bodies may help. A very weak side but it is what it is, hopefully we get a much needed win, we need % but with the named side ill take a 1pt win

I think this is off the mark regarding us disrespecting Adelaide. Yes, our side is lacking in depth but that is to be expected when we have an injury list the size we do. Clearly the match committee has decided to go with players who have played at the level, despite their deficiencies. I hardly think adding four debutants to the mix is the ideal solution to get a better outcome considering Ruscoe is only playing his second game.

We have no idea how the young players are going in the hub and are basing thoughts on selection purely on perceptions of what they can offer based on glimpses we saw in February.

I don’t feel at all confident and know Adelaide will apply decent pressure but I’ll sure be thinking we can win the game. In fact, we should be considering ourselves lucky it is a winnable game with the weak side selected

You make some good points and just to be clear, I wasn’t actually advocating four debutants, just venting my frustration with our continual selection of slow and stodgy players who have shown us what they offer, have clear skill deficiencies and little upside.

And as for fast-tracking unproven exciting youngsters, it has worked very well over recent years for Brisbane, GWS, Sydney and Western Bulldogs and most recently even St Kilda, Gold Coast and Carlton. Such teams have shown much more faith in throwing their best youngsters into the fray earlier than we have (except for Stephenson).

Daicos gave us a thrill last week but there has been so little excitement and X-factor in our line-ups in recent times. We have become the most boring team in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back