Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 11 vs. ADEL - AO, Tues 11/08 @ 6:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason why I think we need to have a taller forward line is that our smaller forward line don’t tackle. If we don’t mark it in the forward line, the ball is coming out.

We had 50 I50’s. However, only lake 9 tackles I50.

For comparsion, Sydney went inside 50 33 times, and had 10 tackles.

No point playing small if we aren’t going to lock the ball in.

That seems to be it. Big 200cm 100kg kid who is athletic and great runner.

But if he won’t make it as a ruck they should turn him into a Roughead type full back

We could do with another developing KPD
That might not actually be a bad shout. With the size of key forwards now (look at the King brothers for example) we'll need big KPDs. Moore is luckily a freakishly athletic giant, but we need another. Can't have Dunn-sized KPDs

That might not actually be a bad shout. With the size of key forwards now (look at the King brothers for example) we'll need big KPDs. Moore is luckily a freakishly athletic giant, but we need another. Can't have Dunn-sized KPDs
Dunn has always had the capacity to out body taller , bigger opponents-he's a master of the one on one contest.

We need to manage Reid & probably Moore so they are right to go against Melbourne next game.
This opens us up to being knocked over by the Crows due to the inexperience we put on the park.

Out - Reid (managed) In - Cox
Out - Moore (managed) In - Dunn
Out - Treloar (inj) In - Rantall (but they will select Wills)
Out - WHE (inj) In - Appleby
Out - Quaynor (inj) In - Varcoe

Last edited:
How many 360 turns then handball to no one did Brown make? T Brown to replace him, Cox to come in, Appleby must be a certain in. Rantall to debut and possibly Lynch depending on if Grundy has a rest.

How do you describe Cal Brown.

I reckon he's the worst most elusive player I've ever seen, if that makes sense?

Never seen a bloke get in and out and back into trouble like he does.

I reckon he's the worst most elusive player I've ever seen, if that makes sense?

unfortunately that’s what makes elite players like pendles, you can’t teach awareness, composure, ability to make space etc. I wish brown had come on more, im just not seeing it. Daicos is showing it, still has issues with consistency but he clearly has it.

Petraca is only now having a break out year so hopefully it’s just a matter of time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect Mayne and Varcoe will come straight back in. With three injuries and Thomas hopefully omitted there will be at least 4 changes, assuming nobody is rested (likely a wrong assumption) that is.

Out: Hoskin-Elliot (Injured), Treloar (Injured), Quaynor (Injured), Thomas (Omitted)
In: Mayne, Rantall/T. Brown, Varcoe, Appleby

Lynch's position was already questioned by the list managers when they recruited Cameron.

Surely Cameron is the obvious choice to fill in for Grundy. Its what he was recruited for ..... rucking... otherwise why did they bother

I think Cameron was recruited primarily as ruck-forward competition to Cox.

But with Grundy the incumbent... there is no need for all of Cox, Cameron and Lynch to all play ruck.

Although his kicking is not a strongpoint... Lynch as a trainee fullback would work in my opinion.

That works if Cox stays on the list at years end... if not, then Lynch probably needed for ruck depth again

I'd like to see T Brown, M Cox, C Mayne come back in.

Seems top-heavy but if we're going to bomb in long then we need Mason to be tapping to ground or clunking. With Daics/Brown at the feet of Cox/Reid then we will get a better reward for effort.

Mayne's pressure would be great to replace IQ, Tyler Brown is worth trying again after a run in the 2s and could be vital to continuing our run from HB to HF

i'd like to put in a few words of support for John Noble and Jack Madgen and Brody Mihoceck. I have a liking for players who have shown a bit of persistence in their journey. John and Brody have got a bit of support over the journey but for Jack, if anyone takes the effort to comment on him, he's usually bagged. He'll never set the house on fire but after a dozen games over 3 years, he's doing ok.

Last edited:
Noble Roughead Madgen
Maynard Moore Crisp
Daicos Adams Phillips
Stevo Mihocek Elliott
Varcoe Reid Broomhead

Grundy Sier Sidebottom

Interchange: Cox, C Brown, Ruscoe, Mayne

In terms of the injury replacements:

Quaynor - T. Brown

Played at half back in his first VFL season. While the club sees him as a mid long term half back is an easier position to adjust to AFL level, while still giving him senior exposure. Plenty of mids have started at half back.

Treloar - Rantall

Was the best of the 2019 draftees in Wangaratta.

Hoskin-Elliott - Mayne

Certainly not like for like, but with Buckley stating Mayne was rested he’ll play against Adelaide.

I also hope we persist with Noble on a wing and would like to see Cox/Cameron alongside Reid and Mihocek - that probably won’t happen this week though.

I think Cameron was recruited primarily as ruck-forward competition to Cox.

But with Grundy the incumbent... there is no need for all of Cox, Cameron and Lynch to all play ruck.

Although his kicking is not a strongpoint... Lynch as a trainee fullback would work in my opinion.

That works if Cox stays on the list at years end... if not, then Lynch probably needed for ruck depth again

I definitely agree that for Lynch to have a future it will be as a full back. He’s got the haircut for it!!!

As a ruckman he’s a distant fourth in line.

Agree - but it’s a confidence thing. He needs to be more instinctive and take the first option, he’s over thinking and getting caught.
Once he corrects this he will be far more influential and more appreciated.

That seems to be it. Big 200cm 100kg kid who is athletic and great runner.

But if he won’t make it as a ruck they should turn him into a Roughead type full back

We could do with another developing KPD
Yep, Roughead and Keeffe are good examples, although Keeffe was an outlier with his kicking ability... he could actually take kickouts.

We need to manage Reid & probably Moore so they are right to go against Melbourne next game.
This opens us up to being knocked over by the Crows due to the inexperience we put on the park.

Out - Reid (managed) In - Cox
Out - Moore (manged) In - Dunn
Out - Treloar (inj) In - Rantall (but they will select Wills)
Out - WHE (inj) In - Appleby
Out - Quaynor (inj) In - Varcoe

Rate this

Edit: Would expect T Brown before Appleby as he can play wing like WHE can.

Also, Mayne was rested, so will probably play for another player due to rest this game. 6 changes I think.

Makes me nervous AF when hearing commentators on the radio etc talking as if we just win, no ifs, no buts.

They almost beat Essendon just a week or two ago, and we're getting injuries all over the place.

I just hope we can get some early goals and control the game, unlike last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back