Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 11 vs. ADEL - AO, Tues 11/08 @ 6:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Quaynor Magden Maynard
Howe Moore Langdon
Crisp Treloar Daicos
Siddebottom Reid Elliot
Mihocek De Goey Stephenson
Grundy Pendlebury Adams
Noble Sier Hoskin-Elliot Murphy

this is my clear best 22 if we had a completely healthy list, obviously hoping at the start of next season will be the case. That is a best 22 that is unarguably one of the best in the comp. even without recruiting a key forward. Obviously interchangeable with Reid, although I thought reid provided a lot more last week then Cox or Cameron.
To my surprise I’ve really liked Madgens last few games and he really seems to be improving. Noble is clear best 22 now and he with a healthy Langdon and Howe allows Crisp to go to a wing where he adds some pace. Daicos should always be on a wing. That backline is seriously rock solid and has every part of a functioning backline you’d like. 3 intercept markers in Moore, Howe and Langdon, small speedy defender for the small forwards in Quaynor, and then a great ball using rebounder in Maynard. Noble as well the other small defender/rebounder. Whole dynamic of the forward line changes with De Goey. Our depth is obviously the issue however we’d hope by next season that Murphy really pushes to become a consistent best 22 player, as I expect sier will if he remains at the club, which I still think is unlikely. However he adds so much more then Wills and it is clear even in these two games where he’s been nothing special but his potential is clear. I wouldn’t mind us topping up a bit off Richmonds depth. Garthwaite, rioli should be amongst the options. Although not if rioli is pricey which could ht the case. Phillips should be traded and is no longer best 22, nor is mayne. Let me know your thoughts.

Anyone know if he's related to John Rantall? Probably been covered somewhere, but I can't seem to find it
I'm not certain, but think it is likely.
Both are from the same neck of the woods in S.W. Vic (Warrnambool & Cobden) and Jay and his family barracked for the Swans.

Ins: Cameron, Mayne, Varcoe, Rantall
Outs: Treloar, WHE, Quaynor, Grundy

Give Grundy a break before the Melbourne game -he's playing like he needs one.
Bring him and hopefully Pendles back for the Melb match.

We have a 9-day break between the Melb and North match -hopefully enough to give the likes of Moore, Adams, Crisp, Maynard, etc a decent rest.

From the midfield, Treloar out and rest Elliott makes sense. That means Wills will come in with Mayne.
Appleby for the tank engine. Maybe T Brown gets another gig to bolster midfield.
Varcoe for IQ.
Last chance saloon Coxzilla for WHE.

What do you really expect from Madgen? He's our third or fourth choice for the role and getting paid buttons in comparison to the top dogs in his role Howe and Langdon. He's doing a perfectly fine job.

You make good sense. I'm sure Jack appreciates your support.

Strongly doubt that Elliott will be rested. More likely played forward rather than mid.

I think JT stays in and gets much more time in the middle.

Grundy very likely to be rested, Cox and Cameron both in I suspect. Definitely Cameron.

I'd like to see Bianco come in for Quaynor.

We'll be light on for mids. Fortunately, Adelaide's midfield isn't much chop. Sier and JT's time to shine

Strongly doubt that Elliott will be rested. More likely played forward rather than mid.

I think JT stays in and gets much more time in the middle.

Grundy very likely to be rested, Cox and Cameron both in I suspect. Definitely Cameron.

I'd like to see Bianco come in for Quaynor.

We'll be light on for mids. Fortunately, Adelaide's midfield isn't much chop. Sier and JT's time to shine

Especially without Sloane and B.Crouch. Brodie Smith likely to come back though.

Before we consider Cox: Lets remember its gonna be bucketing 5-10MM of rain.
Didn't know that, thanks for the tip. Gonna amend my changes again given the announcement of rain.

OUT: Grundy (managed) - Treloar - Hoskin-Elliot - Quaynor - Thomas - Moore (managed)
IN: Lynch/Cameron - Broomhead - Appleby - Varcoe - Dunn - Mayne

FB: Maynard - Dunn - Varcoe
HB: Crisp - Roughead - Madgen
C: Daicos - Sier - Noble
HF: Ruscoe - Mihocek - Elliott
FF: Stephenson - Reid - Broomhead
FOL: Lynch/Cameron - Adams - Sidebottom
INT: C. Brown - Appleby - Mayne - Phillips

I reckon Lynch is more able to play out a full game in the ruck, but either would be fine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond have rested Cotchin due to his hamstring history. Wouldve been nice to see the same with Treloar last week... SURELY Moore and Elliot are due with their history.

Chris Mayne
A likely inclusion after being rested against Sydney.

Flynn Appleby
With Hoskin-Elliott unlikely this could be Appleby’s chance. Has been very good as a high forward in the reserves games.

Rupert Wills
No Treloar gives Wills another possible opportunity. Can Wills and Sier play in the same team? Time will tell.

Tim Broomhead
Emergency for round 10. Similar to Appleby, could be a fitting replacement for Hoskin-Elliott. Broomhead hasn’t played a senior game in over 800 days.

Tyler Brown
Hasn’t played senior football since round five. Another option to replace Treloar.

Travis Varcoe
Missed round ten due to personal reasons. A chance to return as a running half-back.

Max Lynch
Kicked a couple of goals in the scrimmage against Sydney. Lynch is yet to debut and continues to develop.

Can't see Grundy playing this game, and then coming up against Gawn 3 days later. Cameron to be in, with Cox as relief ruck.
Side is missing alot, but still has some quality in every line.
I think the only way he plays is if he plays only reduced minutes in ruck and rest of game forward/ bench

In The Mix: Round 11 v Adelaide
See who is a chance to be elevated to the AFL squad in round 11
By Tom Robertson - 4 hrs ago
mayne.jpg

Collingwood's thrilling win over Sydney came at a cost with injuries to Hoskin-Elliott, Treloar and Quaynor.

As a result, the Magpies match committee will make at least two changes for round 11.

See who is in the mix to take on the Crows at Adelaide Oval on Tuesday.
Chris Mayne
A likely inclusion after being rested against Sydney.
Flynn Appleby
With Hoskin-Elliott unlikely this could be Appleby’s chance. Has been very good as a high forward in the reserves games.
Rupert Wills
No Treloar gives Wills another possible opportunity. Can Wills and Sier play in the same team? Time will tell.
Tim Broomhead
Emergency for round 10. Similar to Appleby, could be a fitting replacement for Hoskin-Elliott. Broomhead hasn’t played a senior game in over 800 days.
Tyler Brown
Hasn’t played senior football since round five. Another option to replace Treloar.
Travis Varcoe
Missed round ten due to personal reasons. A chance to return as a running half-back.
Max Lynch
Kicked a couple of goals in the scrimmage against Sydney. Lynch is yet to debut and continues to develop.

Surprised Cameron nor Cox are in the mix this week. Looks like Lynch may well debut, with Grundy rested.

In terms of the injury replacements:

Quaynor - T. Brown

Played at half back in his first VFL season. While the club sees him as a mid long term half back is an easier position to adjust to AFL level, while still giving him senior exposure. Plenty of mids have started at half back.

Treloar - Rantall

Was the best of the 2019 draftees in Wangaratta.

Hoskin-Elliott - Mayne

Certainly not like for like, but with Buckley stating Mayne was rested he’ll play against Adelaide.

I also hope we persist with Noble on a wing and would like to see Cox/Cameron alongside Reid and Mihocek - that probably won’t happen this week though.
Rantall is from Warrnambool.

If Grundy doesn’t play , O’Brien will drag Adelaide to a win. Out of the games he was best to sit out Sydney.

Adelaide , Melbourne, north all have too ruckman
Cox was able to break even with Paddy Ryder in his AA year. I think that he and Cameron rotating could hold their own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back