Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 11 vs. Carlton, Sun 29/05, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

The only ones of the last 10 years still playing for us that we drafted are cripps curnow mckay weitiering walsh and O'Brien's... dow plays reserves sps was traded and is s**t.. and we traded for extra first draft picks on top of that. I believe it's more how you draft and feel agency/trades
We don't have many first rounders, I mean we have 7 but everyone has those, right?

Angry Europa League GIF by UEFA

This is an intriguing game, blue baggers full of themselves and playing good footy. Woodsmen trying to discover what it is that makes them tick and when we get it are irresistible. Hopefully Fly and Co get the boys in the frame and up for it. That manic 4 qtr pressure we played freo was great, was a joy to watch.
No. 129 is the prize boys, go 1 up & tear those front running pretenders a new one.
will be listening on radio at camp from Shark Bay WA. Got a dedicated slab for the game.
loved seeing Tyler flying for a speccie, keep at it bloke.

Carlton was off a 5 day break and rife with sickness. Still that second quarter was probably the best by any team in 2022.

If you're talking about your second quarter in the weekend, you're right, you showed what you're capable of. Our third quarter against Geelong was equal to that.

Unfortunately for us, your lot are finding their best footy a lot more often than we are.

Yes most teams do have that many. We've got more than 7.

How many top-10 do we have?

Nick Daicos, Pendlebury, DeGoey, and....... (we had) Jayden Stevenson, Sharenberg and Freeman, Reid, etc... but then we're back to 17 years ago.

How many do Carlton have?

Weitering, Walsh, Jack Martin, Paddy Dow, Petrevski-Seeton (what happened to him?), Weitering, McKay.

That's twice as many in the current teams. And they've got a couple of number 1s.

Tyler Brown looked by far his best. Showed a bit more of a vertical leap flying for marking contests than I'd ever seen from him before.
Took this one a few years ago. Also took another one intercepting a few weeks back in the VFL albeit less spectacular than his Coburg effort.

Took this one a few years ago. Also took another one intercepting a few weeks back in the VFL albeit less spectacular than his Coburg effort.

Could he push forward like his old man?

Nick Daicos, Pendlebury, DeGoey, and....... (we had) Jayden Stevenson, Sharenberg and Freeman, Reid, etc... but then we're back to 17 years ago.

Weitering, Walsh, Jack Martin, Paddy Dow, Petrevski-Seeton (what happened to him?), Weitering, McKay.

That's twice as many in the current teams. And they've got a couple of number 1s.
You can add Moore who got a top 5 bid under a different system and WHE seeing you're ncluding Martin. We've got our share of early picks, but obviously not as many or as high as the blues

There's no doubt the equalisation measures have played a massive role in Carltons rise and Melbournes. I think they're comfortably the two best lists around.

Those top picks get a high percentage of stars. Then when you've got them in place, the salary cap savings from when you're crap effectively gives you a higher cap than the opposition and can be used to load up and fill holes with your recruiting and if you don't overspend they should help you ride through the cap pressure when you're on top.

Where Carlton might not be as well placed as Melbourne is that they appeared to overspend on recruits on the way up. Their cap is probably already tight with both their gun kpfs hitting free agency next year and Walsh's next contract will be huge.

Last edited:
Madge one of the few who can actually be relied upon to hold shape would be my reading of our defensive group, so not sure where this apparent inability to do so has arisen from.
I don't have any solid evidence tbh as I haven't been to games live since St Kilda. Just a gut feeling and yes I could be completely wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless the rain buckets down on Sunday, I don't think we can extrapolate from Perth to the MCG. We played very well against Fremantle because there was a consistency in the method of forcing the ball forward with many kicks off the ground and mongrel blind kicks. More directed football was left for the times when conditions improved a bit. The usual opposition tactic of picking us apart with short kicks broke down in the wet.

Only a repeat of the conditions would allow this to work against Carlton. Team tactics will have to be different, and fat side breakouts to enable passes to our moderate size forwards will be essential. Expect much more pressure on the ball than last week and another set of attempts to bully Ginnivan. (I find it heartening that he doesn't seem to be thrown by opposition attempts to do him injuries).

I can't see Cox being available, which is a pity - he would have threatened Carlton in the ruck. So Henry can reclaim a position that he probably shouldn't have lost. This leaves us short up forward and without a backup ruck. It may be necessary to find a place for Begg long before that should happen. Who he might replace is a real problem. We need everyone else we have, and any player we drop exposes another weakness.

Our lack of tall backmen doesn't seem such a problem this week. Carlton doesn't have a monster forward until McKay returns, and medium to small defenders are what is required. We have those. Our midfield as usual looks threadbare compared to Carlton's. This is where we are likely to lose the game unless the likes of Crisp and Adams can overachieve again. With Carlton's forwards very pace dependent, this might be the week to have Pendlebury try to revisit his glory days on the ball, leaving the backline duties to the pacier small defenders plus Murphy.

Out: Cox
In: Henry

When Cripps rucks, so will Tyler Brown.
Tyler’s game against Freo was his best ever (re value to the team).
Cripps v T Brown. There's a contest that will draw fans in crowds. If we want to find out if Brown can play, pit him against Cripps as second ruck then have him tag him as a midfielder. A genuine make or break scenario. Do it.

Yes, personally i suspect our real bottom out years will come in the year or two after we lose pendles, howe, and even sidey. Our current focus is developing enough youngsters to mitigate the pain then, so we don't hit north levels bad. Guys like daicos ×2, quaynor, noble, henry, ginnivan give me hope here, but the proposect of our midfield in 3-4 years still scares me shitless.

Pendles & Howe calling it a day will leave a massive hole (sidey less so) but their combined salaries will give us room to chase some ready made talent.

If all 3 were to disappear at the same time it would be difficult to fill that gap but if managed well we can minimise the impact.

Looking at the not too distant past we brought in Adams & Treloar to give our midfield an immediate boost.

Last edited:
Pendles & Howe calling it a day will leave a massive hole (sidey less so) but their combined salaries of give us room to chase some ready made talent.

If all 3 were to disappear at the same time it would be difficult to fill that gap but if managed well we can minimise the impact.

Looking at the not too distant past we brought in Adams & Treloar a few years back to give our midfield an immediate boost.
I fully expect Pendles to play through until he is 48

Huge on a Sunday arvo. Feels like this game gives us a 5 goal headstart. Being a millennial, I remember when going to Perth was a guaranteed L with an L the next week because of travel. How does the W stack up from Perth going into a massive clash like this? Unknown territory....🤔

We have had a good record in Perth for decades. Other vic sides struggle there but pies tend to rally ever since mm took over.

Yes, personally i suspect our real bottom out years will come in the year or two after we lose pendles, howe, and even sidey. Our current focus is developing enough youngsters to mitigate the pain then, so we don't hit north levels bad. Guys like daicos ×2, quaynor, noble, henry, ginnivan give me hope here, but the proposect of our midfield in 3-4 years still scares me shitless.
I came into 2022 with the mindset that our midfield was close to settled for the future with the investment of the 2020-21 drafts, but the progression from Poulter, Macrae and McInnes has fallen short of my hopes. That’s not to suggest they won’t make it (far from it) more that they look to be slower burns than I’d initially anticipated and this draft has become best available in my eyes. The one that’s really progressed beyond my expectations is Murley.

Pendles & Howe calling it a day will leave a massive hole (sidey less so) but their combined salaries will give us room to chase some ready made talent.

Looking at the not too distant past we brought in Adams & Treloar to give our midfield an immediate boost.

Not when you have 3 900k players in Grundy, Moore and Degoey.

Nick Daicos will have a new contract on offer too likely much higher then his current one.

Reef, Oliver, Quaynor etc all likely to have significant increase on next contracts.

We also don’t want to repeat past mistakes of blowing the cap and having no wiggle room to fix the midfield through FA and trades. The odd player sure but best to have bulk of it through drafting imo.

FA is where we should be looking for Rougheads replacement.

Could he push forward like his old man?
Not sure. He leapt for a few in different circumstances last week, but I’ve only seen him hang onto them intercepting.

Just on this....

Saw a stat earlier in the year (maybe round 3 or 4) that Carlton fielded a team and their avg draft pick was 16.
no idea on the accuracy of the stat, but given their list, could believe it.

Maybe we could get Treoloar back... :)

But yeah, I think probably Sidebottom goes at end of this year or next.

Pendlebury end of next year probably.

Howe still has his speed and leap so not sure about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back