Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 11 vs. Carlton, Sun 29/05, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

How many top-10 do we have?

Nick Daicos, Pendlebury, DeGoey, and....... (we had) Jayden Stevenson, Sharenberg and Freeman, Reid, etc... but then we're back to 17 years ago.

How many do Carlton have?

Weitering, Walsh, Jack Martin, Paddy Dow, Petrevski-Seeton (what happened to him?), Weitering, McKay.

That's twice as many in the current teams. And they've got a couple of number 1s.

We spent 4 first rounders on Beams and Treloar.

Given that Carlton are seemingly content to use Silvagni/Cripps as their relief ruck option it provides us with a unique opportunity to retain T.Brown in that role for at least another week.

If Cox is fit to play it will be an interesting selection decision, if he isn't I wouldn't include Begg in the 22.

Given the relationship with Gavin Brown I'd say the whole club not only a wanting them to succeed but going above and beyond to make sure they do.

If they weren't Browns but smiths the both of them wouldn't be 5 and 6 year players.
I doubt Mcrae, Leppa and Bolton are picking him based on Gavin.

At the moment, we've got no depth and he's a better player than Finn Macrae.

The opposing coaches getting prepared:

FTaNMKPakAACQ2j

One could argue fir team balance, McCreery is surplus to needs with Henry and Elliot returning to the forward line, especially if Cox plays releasing Cameron to CHF/FF.

I’d be tempted to keep Tyler as an extra mid and drop McCreery to the sub bench.

I think it’s one of those two options. You drop McCreery and Elliott plays predominately forward or you drop Tyler and his midfield minutes get spread across Elliott and maybe WHE spends more time on a wing etc.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One could argue fir team balance, McCreery is surplus to needs with Henry and Elliot returning to the forward line, especially if Cox plays releasing Cameron to CHF/FF.

I’d be tempted to keep Tyler as an extra mid and drop McCreery to the sub bench.
So we come off our best win of the year where our team just blows the pressure gauge through the roof, puts enormous pressure on in our forward 50 with high retention figures, and you'd drop one of the principal players in the forward line responsible for that pressure in McCreery?

That sounds crazy.

So we come off our best win of the year where our team just blows the pressure gauge through the roof, puts enormous pressure on in our forward 50 with high retention figures, and you'd drop one of the principal players in the forward line responsible for that pressure in McCreery?

That sounds crazy.
I thought the same. He's going nowhere. We win or lose based on our pressure, particularly against a team with a strong midfield.. We're going to have to get the ball back off them a lot this week.

Think Carlton's greatest strength is clearly their midfield's ability to get first hands on the footy and get a clean clearance. Frustratingly that's one of the Bulldogs' greatest strengths and we could barely get our hands on it early which meant they could really capitalise on their momentum.

Carlton likewise are a strong momentum side. They've won a few games based on a big quarter of midfield (and key forward) dominance despite the other side shifting the momentum back in their favour.

Easier said than done but I hope we can really go to work on how Sydney and co stifled their momentum. If you take away their singular quarters of dominance I reckon we're a really good chance to snatch this one.

Think Carlton's greatest strength is clearly their midfield's ability to get first hands on the footy and get a clean clearance. Frustratingly that's one of the Bulldogs' greatest strengths and we could barely get our hands on it early which meant they could really capitalise on their momentum.

Carlton likewise are a strong momentum side. They've won a few games based on a big quarter of midfield (and key forward) dominance despite the other side shifting the momentum back in their favour.

Easier said than done but I hope we can really go to work on how Sydney and co stifled their momentum. If you take away their singular quarters of dominance I reckon we're a really good chance to snatch this one.

Interesting point made on The Couch by Brownie - said Voss as his coach was infuriating in constantly doing tackle evasion drills.
He then showed examples of how Carlton have been using these same skills so well this season - hopefully Fly has a counter measure.

Interesting point made on The Couch by Brownie - said Voss as his coach was infuriating in constantly doing tackle evasion drills.
He then showed examples of how Carlton have been using these same skills so well this season - hopefully Fly has a counter measure.
He already does, and it's a better pressure efficiency when we're on. That's been the strength and weakness - when we've been decimated by flu or injury then it doesn't exist and we've really lost our grip on games. When we have the right players back in position, all focussed on their roles, it looks fantastic.

So I guess it's asking if we can bring this ferociousness back to a dry weather game on a Sunday in Melbourne. Looks to be sunny-ish on Sunday, about 16°. Hopefully we're rested and fresh. You feel like there's no excuse not to be all systems go.

Hope there's a crowd of 80K - will be a belter with both clubs fans in full voice.

If a team's being coached to raise their arms above tackle-height prior to being tackled, the only way you can counter it is to tackle them quickly and tackle them to ground so their fancy handball is either not possible or it's put off target.

Our intent to close space and tackle the ball carrier in our good games this year means that if we're on, we will hopefully nullify that strength.

Pendles shows some good technique when it comes to tackling for HTB rather than just tackling to tackle, I'll be interested to see what his method is.

That sounds crazy.

Maybe so but throwing it out there anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back