Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 13 vs. Nth Melb - Gabba, Mon 24/08 @ 7:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m actually wondering if the people posting on here have actually seen Stevos form this year. Apart from maybe 2 or 3 good 1 st quarters the rest has been worse than Thomas and Brown combined. He gives nothing to us unless everything is absolutely perfect for him. He hasn’t got a defensive bone in his body, he won’t chase and his attitude is pathetic. Surprised he lasted this long and not surprised that it took so long for him to get a game at the start of the season. The one thing bucks has done right. I hope in the next preseason he gets his sh*t together and comes back better because he can be a very good player but it ain’t happening in 2020.
And with this tall slow forward line Stevo would just be another weakness with his lack of pressure. He can't play up the ground so I can understand him not being selected. Kid needs to show some grit and earn a place back in this side. If not then do a trade.

I have always been in the camp that we should leave Darcy Moore in defence....but I must say i liked the above posters comment that De Goey + Moore would be a handful.

I don't necessarily think Moore should be a permanent forward...but he should definitely be thrown there at times. Perhaps if we play the 4 defenders, with Howe and Langdon, we could do it because Howe and Langdon are intercept defenders themselves and Roughead is 200cm to play on the talls.

My concern is that his hammies may not be able to sustain the repeat leads required as a forward. As a defender, he can peel off a bit and doesn't have to push as high up the ground.

I get your point on being mindful on Moore's hamstrings but you can't expect him to go with a forward on every single lead (as a defender) but be worried about how often/hard he chooses to lead as a forward. You'd sprint just as much in either position. Any tightness or concern and you just don't lead.

PS I reckon DeGoey will come back against Carlton and will be strictly mid, taking the baton from Sidebottom 👀

Imagine if this Cox & Cameron partnership works.

Finals forward line:

Elliot Cameron Mihocek
Cox De GOEY Stephenson

okay, I’m dreaming.

It doesn't seem too bad on paper. When Buckley said Tom Lynch would fit our structure, I honestly think he would've had Lynch in Cameron's position in that exact forward line (at the time it was Thomas instead of Elliott due to injury).

That said, I reckon the ball would potentially come out as quickly as it went in. Limited tackling pressure.

Roughead in for Dunn
Greenwood in for Wills
Appleby in for Mihochek
Cox in for Reid
Mayne in for Brown

With our injuries it’s hard to see much in the way of different changes, maybe Rantall or Bianco instead of Mayne or Murphy in... cupboard is getting a little bare at the moment.

Awesome to see Greenwood back in, one of my faves.
Roughead for Dunn makes sense.

Brown and Wills - no surprise they are out.

Apples get his chance. Very interested to see how he goes up forward. Always liked his endeavour down back - always has a crack.

Who else could we have brought in to play key forward with Reid and Mihochek out? Cox is next in line.

With the 22 selected this is how I hope we line up:

B - Madgen Roughead Maynard
HB - Crisp Moore Noble
C - Daicos Pendlebury Phillips
HF - WHE Cameron Thomas
F - Elliott Cox Varcoe
R - Grundy Adams Sidebottom
INT - Mayne Ruscoe Appleby Greenwood

Not the strongest 22 we have fielded, nonetheless there is still some genuine talent out there and I’m definitely interested to see how a few of them go.

It doesn't seem too bad on paper. When Buckley said Tom Lynch would fit our structure, I honestly think he would've had Lynch in Cameron's position in that exact forward line (at the time it was Thomas instead of Elliott due to injury).

That said, I reckon the ball would potentially come out as quickly as it went in. Limited tackling pressure.

We only average 8.7 I50 tackles per game. 12th in the league.
When you consider we have our high I50 rate, it doesn’t really matter.

It seems we are hoping for marks rather than forward pressure/turnovers.

Good to see Greenwood back after 12 months. He's an experienced head and will provide hardness for the team.

I've lost confidence in Cox, but I will be happy to be proven wrong if he plays well tomorrow. Interested to see how Appleby goes, especially if they play him forward as they have done in scratch matches.

Don't know what's going on with Stephenson, but I sense something isn't right with him and the club behind the scenes. He hasn't been the same since the betting fiasco last year and he was dealing with glandular fever for most of the summer.

A very Buckley team selection. No kids, tried and tested club man getting games. He won't go down in the Tony Shaw way by playing kids and given them experience. He'd prefer close safe losses then blood new players.
Gotto try and get that extension mate, at the cost of development 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with our club atm is we don’t have the talent or depth to win the flag, yet with Buckley in his 9th year, and wanting an extension end of next year, he will do all he can to scrape into finals and try and salvage his job. Rather than accept we aren’t up to it and develop kids, because he knows he won’t get a new contract if he does. It’s actually frustrating knowing this is gonna continue next year.

Actually it does - at full strength - with the right game style. Granted we are never full strength, neither is any team.

Sure it's not a gws or wc, but our system when it's on like in qtrs here and there no one can go with us. It's just completing the game in a more solid fashion that eludes us.

The problem with our club at the moment, is more to do with how we're playing, not (so much) our list. Apart from a dominant KPF our list is well balanced and in a pretty good age demographic. (Bruzzy, Treloar, Tay, Crisp, Moore etc.) Sure you've got older players in twilight like Pendles, Howe, Sides, Roughy etc. however apart from the form funk at the minute they're not likely to drop off the cliff nek minnit.

I'm not going to pretend our only issues are injuries and a compressed fixture, we are far far from potential that is the real glaring problem.

Maybe you're right on Bucks trying to save his ass, that is up for debate. But you've gotta give credit, he's squeezed everything out of this group and plan on the back of system, doesn't mean it's all over.

Just a few tweaks to how we play with a strong list, and a fast developing Kelly as a KPF and this group can win a flag. I'm not confident a change of coach will be the magic bullet - continuity, and strong development (coaching) like in 2018 will deliver a flag.

I know it's in him as I'm not superstitious and the evidence he can get this group to potential.

Last edited:
From the scratch match highlights Anton Tohill looked ok. Getting the hang of forward craft and kicking. Could be interesting to see him next season. The Irish connection at each end of the ground. Previously when I’ve seen Tohill he didn’t look likely at all, so there’s some hope there for a tallish forward.

From the scratch match highlights Anton Tohill looked ok. Getting the hang of forward craft and kicking. Could be interesting to see him next season. The Irish connection at each end of the ground. Previously when I’ve seen Tohill he didn’t look likely at all, so there’s some hope there for a tallish forward.
Hopefully him and kelly come along and become similar to Gunston size forwards, but we need atlwast one sizeable forward 196cm.... finlayson is gettable (2nd rounder would do As they will need cap space) along with brown.

Good luck to the Pig! Excited to see him back out there

And Appleby too, after some sustained scratch match performances, he deserves the chance

Cox and Cameron in the same forward line doesn't fill me with much confidence though, hopefully we can maintain some forward line aerial dominance tonight!

I don’t get our selection panel. Well actually I do, it’s led by Bucks. The most incompetent coach in the afl. who is getting found out in a covid season where training and assistants have been affected.

How on earth do you play 3 rucks, plus a midsized forward in apples. Then on the other hand you play mayne.

Must be the slowest side we have fielded in years

North by 3 goals.

I don’t get our selection panel. Well actually I do, it’s led by Bucks. The most incompetent coach in the afl. who is getting found out in a covid season where training and assistants have been affected.

How on earth do you play 3 rucks, plus a midsized forward in apples. Then on the other hand you play mayne.

Must be the slowest side we have fielded in years

North by 3 goals.

“The most incompetent coach in the afl “
Your living proof you don’t need a long neck to be a goose

The problem with our club atm is we don’t have the talent or depth to win the flag, yet with Buckley in his 9th year, and wanting an extension end of next year, he will do all he can to scrape into finals and try and salvage his job. Rather than accept we aren’t up to it and develop kids, because he knows he won’t get a new contract if he does. It’s actually frustrating knowing this is gonna continue next year.
Why is the finger always pointed at Bucks when it comes to our list? He creates a list of what the Team needs and provides that to Derek Hine. If our list is s**t, you need to be pointing the finger at Hine, not Bucks. Hine and his team are the ones in the field scouting, Bucks can't be everywhere. Bucks can only go on recommendations from Hine and his scouting team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back