Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 15 vs. Brisbane - Gabba, Fri 04/09 @ 7:50pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
After today's win over Carlton, we go to 8-1-5. We're now in the position where we need at least one more win to make the eight.

We will go into this game on a 5 day break. Brisbane, on the other hand, have a 12 day break after a Round 14 bye. 5 day breaks in a normal AFL season occur from time-to-time, and the games are shortened, so hopefully this isn't a problem on our end. Whilst it's clearly an advantage for Brisbane, I'm sure we will try to jump them early.

Brisbane have been in good form in 2020 and have gone into their bye equal first on 10-3. Their three losses have come from Hawthorn (way back in Round 1), Geelong by 27 points in Round 6 at the SCG and Richmond by 41 points in Round 10.

Our form this season deserves no introduction, however, there's little doubt that the Lions would remember our clinical 62-point victory on their home deck in Round 5 last year.

Despite Brisbane's good form and ladder position, their goal-kicking accuracy has been under constant scrutiny the past few weeks. This was the sole reason why they almost lost to St. Kilda in Round 13, despite St. Kilda being a good side this season.

The Lions hierarchy say they have no issues kicking goals at training, alluding to the fact that it's mostly mental. Most of us here would be well aware that some teams (I'm looking at you West Coast) this year have been able to convert goals at ease, so Brisbane will see this as an opportunity to clean up their game going forward.

This issue on our end is partially bad luck (i.e. goals from 50m out on the boundary), but no doubt our biggest problem has been giving the opposition easy looks at goal. Although we obviously need our defence to stand up both aerially and on the ground, it's vital that our midfielders continue to pressure their best distributors.

It's key that we look for ruck dominance, go head to head with Neale (Pendlebury) and keep McCluggage accountable.

And dare I say it, but are we now a good second half side?

LAST TIME THEY MET

In Round 5, 2019, Collingwood came up against a 3-1 Brisbane Lions side which had already knocked off reigning premiers WCE and GWS. The Lions were being talked about as the next big thing and potential flag favourites.

The Pies got off to a very, very hot start and took a 7.5.49 to 3.2.20 lead at quarter time. The lead was reduced 21 points at half time before an 8 to 2 goal third term gave us a massive 108 to 51 three quarter time lead. The Pies went on to win 18.15.123 to 8.13.61.

Adam Treloar had 35 touches. Phillips had 29 touches. Jack Crisp had it 27 times and Beams had 26 touches and a goal despite not being given an inch all day from his old side. Scott Pendlebury had it 26 times.

Mihocek kicked 4, DeGoey kicked 3 and Elliott, Brown, Stephenson, Cox and Thomas all had two each.

Brisbane's best performers were Witherden with 25 disposals (although how many stemmed from kick outs, I'm not sure) and McCluggage had 21 touches and 2 goals. The much-hyped Lachie Neale had a modest 24 disposals, with a lot of other Lions players well-beaten on the day.

MATCH UPS

Harris Andrews will likely go to Mihocek, if not a tall (Cameron/Cox). They will have their work cut out for them.

I think I'd like to see Pendlebury stopping Neale's run out of the stoppages, or at the very least keeping him accountable.

As for our backs vs. their forwards, maybe:

McStay vs. Roughead
Hipwood vs. Moore
Cameron vs. Quaynor
Zorko vs. Maynard
McCluggage vs. Crisp
McCarthy vs. Madgen
Berry vs. Noble

CHANGES

Greenwood was managed for the Carlton game as this one had a 5 day break. Suspect he'll be straight back in. Given Cal Brown played some of the scratch match, you'd suspect he wasn't originally picked.

Mayne getting concussed may save Cal.

This one I'm still not sure about yet. Bucks has indicated that DeGoey may make an early return soon, albeit with a glove on. We're not sure whether this will impact where he lines up. Given we've got the bye after this one, he may be better off resuming against the Suns instead. But again, JUST PLAY HIM!

Have probably forgotten someone again, but:

IN: Greenwood, Ruscoe (or a Rantall debut)
OUT: Mayne (inj), Cameron.

TIP

Head says Brisbane, but heart says Collingwood by 10.

Are you sure gimp, but yes on the last two weeks he gets to stay

He's dangerous when we open the game up.. and in close.. has a knack of snapping em.. he's ideal when de goey is in the side.. great decoy.. stuff of art deco re.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Mayne, Cameron
In: Atu, Ruscoe

Will get absolutely belted here. How we are playing this game on a Friday after the Lions have had a bye is disgusting.

It’s going to be a replay of the Melbourne game. But worse because Brisbane are actually quite good.

Ps. Hoskin out

Will get absolutely belted here. How we are playing this game on a Friday after the Lions have had a bye is disgusting.

It’s going to be a replay of the Melbourne game. But worse because Brisbane are actually quite good.

Ps. Hoskin out

No, it won’t. Pies by 23.

Out: WHE, Cameron, Madgen.
In: Greenwood, Langdon, De GOEY
Madgen? Didn't get much footy, but he seemed to have a lock down role on the blue smalls today manning Martin and Betts at various stages. Rarely beaten.

Would like to see minimal changes.

In: Greenwood
Out: Mayne (brilliant commitment)

Cameron poor, but his inclusion allows us to keep Cox inside forward 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back