Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 18 vs. Carlton, MCG Sunday 18/07 @ 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Cripps is going to make it harder for them. I think teams who draw inspiration from milestones or personal tragedy, don't usually win, as that built up emotion can work as a negative....
Cripps? How so?

I think teams generally go harder on big occasions. That’s why it’s so hard for Collingwood to succeed, everyone gets up to play us.

Can we all agree that having Cox as the sub would be useless. He can only play two roles, ruck or tall forward.
I don't think it matters. With the named team, Murphy will play as a forward target, if Cox is sub, he replaces Murphy, who replaces whoever is injured, or Murphy replaces someone who replaces whoever is injured.

Just looked at team line up on afl site ,i see we have put Mayne on a wing , there goes our fast ball movement.

The true teams come out 1 hour before the start of the game, people here lose their minds over Thursday night teams for no reason every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’d probably be stiff to drop anyone after that good win against Richmond.

Plus Ginnivan is an under-ager, they probably don’t feel compelled to push him into the seniors yet (Licuria in his AMA video made a point about this applying to some of our players, but didn’t name names)
Yeah, agree …

… although I thought I saw Mihocek give Wilson a pat after the cheering in your video?

I’m curious about where you got that from? Because there’s never been an “underage” category. The old top and bottom age description also hasn’t been relevant for a decade and Ginnivan would have been a top-ager when drafted (funnily enough it would have allowed us to access Daicos in the 2020 draft). For context Ginnivan is two months younger than Poulter.

I personally see no reason to select him with JT standing up and Brown working through the midfield. He just needs to wait a little longer for an injury in the right part of the field or the coaching group to pull a Collingwood and ending the Brown midfield move.

Cripps? How so?

I think teams generally go harder on big occasions. That’s why it’s so hard for Collingwood to succeed, everyone gets up to play us.

I think the position of us at the moment, we aren't as big a scalp as you may be thinking. Carlton would be going into this game very confident they can beat us and should be beating us, because in reality we are currently a bottom 4 side, ladder wise.

Cripps? How so?

Well Cripps is the big body beast in their midfield, who makes the job easier for Walsh and co. because he is usually the one extracting the footy or the opposition mids spend time on trying to contain...

I don't think it matters. With the named team, Murphy will play as a forward target, if Cox is sub, he replaces Murphy, who replaces whoever is injured, or Murphy replaces someone who replaces whoever is injured.

This is both accurate and and plain old dumb football! Accurate because I think you’ve nailed the thought process of the club if Cox were named sub and dumb because the reality is you’re better off with a guy that can actually play forward (unlike Murphy) with Murphy as the sub. I’d have gone the extra mid in Sier myself instead of Murphy in the starting 22.

This is both accurate and and plain old dumb football! Accurate because I think you’ve nailed the thought process of the club if Cox were named sub and dumb because the reality is you’re better off with a guy that can actually play forward (unlike Murphy) with Murphy as the sub. I’d have gone the extra mid in Sier myself instead of Murphy in the starting 22.
So far, compared to Bucks, Harvey has played an extra tall target up forward each game - Cox and then Kelly. I'm assuming he wants that structure. I agree with you that Murphy offers very little up forward, but in terms of an extra forward target, there really is no one else, unless you play Cox, who appears to have run out of chances.

I’m curious about where you got that from?

Jack’s birthday is in December, therefore today, round 18 in his first year on the list he is approx 18 years 8 months old.

By contrast Nick Daicos’ birthday is in January, round 18 in his first year on the list he’ll be approx 19 years 7 months old.

Obviously it’s not definitive. Genetics and environment are factors in a human’s maturity … but duration being alive is a factor too.

The hate for Madgen is ridiculous. Beat his opponent in Riewoldt comfortably and used it quite well. He is clearly our 3rd best key defender and has earned himself another contract in my eyes. Props to him for his form this 2nd half of the season.

The beauty of this place is that we each view the game and the players through different lenses. I would not place Madge above Roughy, Maynard, IQ, or Mayne.

Madge has grit and endeavour but he is one of the worst decision makers with ball in hand. If either of Moore or Howe were fit he is not in the side.

I would consider the development of Kelly over Madge as a way forward in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack’s birthday is in December, therefore today, round 18 in his first year on the list he is approx 18 years 8 months old.

By contrast Nick Daicos’ birthday is in January, round 18 in his first year on the list he’ll be approx 19 years 7 months old.

Obviously it’s not definitive. Genetics and environment are factors in a human’s maturity … but duration being alive is a factor too.

Poulter debuted at 18 and 6 and were he on the list Daicos would have debuted at 18 and 2. Genetics, environment, maturity of all types and most importantly form on the football field are relevant to team selection not age at either end of the spectrum. Be that as it may what makes Ginninvan at 18 and 7/8 underage, but Poulter not at 18 and 9?

Be that as it may what makes Ginninvan at 18 and 7/8 underage, but Poulter not at 18 and 9?

As I said, age is not definitive. None of these things are definitive.

Expressed another way …

If you go through the stats of the AFL, I’m guessing that there’ll be more debutants who are 19 years old than debutants who are 18 years old ..

… and obviously by that statement I’m not suggesting that 18 year olds can’t and don’t debut.

I personally see no reason to select him with JT standing up and Brown working through the midfield. He just needs to wait a little longer for an injury in the right part of the field or the coaching group to pull a Collingwood and ending the Brown midfield move.
Agree. Unless Bianco has a couple of quiet games.

The beauty of this place is that we each view the game and the players through different lenses. I would not place Madge above Roughy, Maynard, IQ, or Mayne.

Madge has grit and endeavour but he is one of the worst decision makers with ball in hand. If either of Moore or Howe were fit he is not in the side.

I would consider the development of Kelly over Madge as a way forward in 2022.
Kelly looks like going nowhere fast. He is a brittle, flimsy sort of creature whose body dissolves from under him once he sets foot on an AFL field. Certainly his pleasantly proportioned body and pleasing features give him a head's start over Madgen, but there's where good fortune ends for him and fate intervenes to rudely interrupt his progress every time he plays senior football.

Kelly looks like going nowhere fast. He is a brittle, flimsy sort of creature whose body dissolves from under him once he sets foot on an AFL field. Certainly his pleasantly proportioned body and pleasing features give him a head's start over Madgen, but there's where good fortune ends for him and fate intervenes to rudely interrupt his progress every time he plays senior football.
I think you're underselling Kelly. His abilities aren't just confined to the seniors. He also gets injured playing reserves.

Agree. Unless Bianco has a couple of quiet games.
Bianco. too, is better than Sier?! What hope is there for the man when blokes from the draft lucky to string 7 or 8 possessions together are preferred to a hulking, handsome 30 disposal creature dubbed the next Josh Kennedy? I look forward to him joining Treloar in the engine room for the Bullies or sweeping the ball out of a pack to a streaking Stephenson who slams it skilfully through for a kangaroo goal. There will be no shortage of suitors, Brayden Sier! Sit back, take your time, and let your manager do the talking.

Bianco. too, is better than Sier?! What hope is there for the man when blokes from the draft lucky to string 7 or 8 possessions together are preferred to a hulking, handsome 30 disposal creature dubbed the next Josh Kennedy? I look forward to him joining Treloar in the engine room for the Bullies or sweeping the ball out of a pack to a streaking Stephenson who slams it skilfully through for a kangaroo goal. There will be no shortage of suitors, Brayden Sier! Sit back, take your time, and let your manager do the talking.

Chris Dawes says “Hi” 😀

Disgrace that Ginnivan not getting a go.

The future is McReery and Ginnivan running amok in our forward line... so when fit these two should be playing up front every week for the remainder of the season.

Especially so, if there is no VFL on for an extended period

As I’ve said many times before the goal should be rd 1 2023... putting games into the young players that will be there and moving away from the players aged over 30

North Melbourne and Adelaide doing this... playing 11,12,13 kids with 50 games or less each week.

Collingwood has played kids but still very short term in its selection outlook. Each week we’re one of the oldest teams named. Fine if you’re top 4, ridiculous if you’re bottom 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back