Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 2 vs. Carlton, MCG Thurs 25/03 @ 7:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
LAST TIME THEY MET

Round 14, 2020: Carlton 7.6 (48) def. by Collingwood 10.12 (72) at the Gabba in front of a crowd of 9,033.

Collingwood trailed by 10 points in the third quarter. Despite missing all of Steele Sidebottom, Adam Trealor and Jordan DeGoey, the Pies were able to keep Carlton goalless in the second half and come out victorious.

CHANGES

IN:
Sidebottom, Macrae
OUT: Ruscoe, Sier

Give Henry another chance although he was very similar to what we saw in the AAMI Series against Richmond.

Unfortunately after what we saw tonight I reckon we'll get rolled.

Our backline was great under intense pressure and Cox and Mihochek did well enough as structural forwards. Everything else in between was terrible.

Henry has zero fitness base. Never should have been selected. Was blowing up in Q1 and reduced to a walk for most of it. Gotta be dropped.

WHE played the worst game I’ve ever seen from him. Thomas and Ruscoe terrible too. Both WHE and Thomas are very experienced and have no excuses. A message needs to be sent by dropping them.

I’m opposed to dropping Sier. He needs an extended block of games to either conclusively make it, or not. But he’s on notice. Daicos was equally poor but we need him to grow into the midfield role too with repeated selections.

Cameron looked good all pre-season. We should have picked him.

OUT: Madgen Henry Ruscoe Hoskin-Elliott Thomas

IN: Cameron McCreery Sidebottom Macrae Mayne

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Our backline was great under intense pressure and Cox and Mihochek did well enough as structural forwards. Everything else in between was terrible.

Henry has zero fitness base. Never should have been selected. Was blowing up in Q1 and reduced to a walk for most of it. Gotta be dropped.

WHE played the worst game I’ve ever seen from him. Thomas and Ruscoe terrible too. Both WHE and Thomas are very experienced and have no excuses. A message needs to be sent by dropping them.

I’m opposed to dropping Sier. He needs an extended block of games to either conclusively make it, or not. But he’s on notice. Daicos was equally poor but we need him to grow into the midfield role too with repeated selections.

Cameron looked good all pre-season. We should have picked him.

OUT: Madgen Henry Ruscoe Hoskin-Elliott Thomas

IN: Cameron McCreery Sidebottom Macrae Mayne

Although I had Sier as an "out" in my OP I do agree to a certain extent. He had a good moment in the first quarter where he was going and getting hard balls, tackling, etc. Playing with real ferocity, basically. But then it's like he blew up big time, so maybe we stick with him, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Sidebottom, Cameron and Mayne are the most likely ins, now that I think about it.

It sounds like Macrae was good today but maybe they'll give him 1 or 2 runs for match fitness.

WHE and JT go out for me before Henry and Ruscoe. I can’t justify axing a first and second year forward when senior players like WHE and JT are putting out similar performances. No qualms if Henry or Trey go but not before the other 2 IMO

Out: WHE, JT, Henry/Ruscoe
In: Sidebottom, Cameron, Mayne/Macrae

Sier and Madgen lucky, though id like to see us give Sier a block of games to hopefully build into some form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On tonight’s showing we need some harder bodies. Greenwood should be second in behind Sidebottom. Harder bodies doesn’t necessarily need to come at the expense of blooding youth though as a few senior players didn’t stand out tonight.

We''ll be better for the run. Sier Ruscoe T Brown and Henry have not played much. Pendlebury had a rare stinker whilst Adams was coming straight in after a hamstring strain. Daicos just didnt quite get on the end of a few plays but you could see he was close. Howe also still rusty and made a few mistakes. Quaynor improved after a slow start. I'd persist as much as possible with the bulk of that 22.

BUT... WHE and Thomas have to go

I think we we need to take a punt and go tall with our forward line. Mihocek is far better when hes the third tall. So I'd bring Cameron in for WHE who played possibly the worst game of his career... and thats coming off a very indifferent 2020. Camerons early season form has been good.

Sidebottom an automatic selection - in for Thomas

Perhaps another hard body also needs to come in... but we need to be careful not to overdo it otherwise we are going backwards with our development. So Greenwood (or Mayne) to come in perhaps as the Sub. I'd like to give Henry another go but not sure the selectors have the balls for that.

Definititely persist with Ruscoe and Sier... while T Brown is an automatic this week as he was pretty good.

Greenwood or Thomas to the sub bench.. and a full VFL game for Cal

Last edited:
Move Crisp into the middle and give Murphy or Bianco a go at half back. We need help getting our hands on the footy.

OUTS: Sier, Ruscoe, Henry, JT or WHE
INS: Sidey, Cameron, Bianco or Murphy, Macrae, Mayne or Greenwood

Henry cannot stay in the team. He never should have been picked. Not his fault - didn’t play at all last season and has zero fitness base. Was blowing up big-time in Q1 and was barely able to move faster than a jog for most of it. Opponents will run off him mercilessly. Back to the VFL to build some fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back