Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 2 vs. Richmond - THUR 11/06 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
We obviously don't have the VFL for players to press for selection, so it's going to be very tough to pick and choose the ins and outs this year.

From the pre-season and early season training sessions, the main contenders for round 2 selection were probably Rantall, Stephenson, Wills and maybe Scharenberg.

If Mihocek is in doubt, Stephenson takes his spot.

If Madgen is going out, I think it's only for a pure back ie Scharenberg.

However, I'm not sure anyone actually deserves to be dropped from round one side so I'll say...

NO CHANGE

As for Richmond...

The Tigers started Round 1 like a bull out of a gate before ultimately their shorter/later pre-season allowed the Blues to claw their way back to a respectable scoreline. That said, the Tigers did look beatable when the Blues used fast, precise ball movement. The Blues also capitalised on their momentum which is something I believe we struggled with in 2019, regardless as to the opponent.

Tom Lynch was a handful in our second encounter last year and was well-held by a younger Weitering in Round 1. Backing in Moore to do the same if given the chance.

Last time we were beaten by the Tigers they really did a number on us on the inside (albeit on a wet night from memory), which was aided by the fact that Adams was a late out. With Treloar likely to still be missing I wouldn't be surprised to see a player like Wills or even Rantall come into the side, despite tonight's master-class against a highly rated midfield.

Unsure whether the Tigers will regain Houli whom has troubled us in the past, and not exactly sure which of their players are on the cusp for selection.

Hopefully a repeat of Round 2 2019. Go Pies.

Last edited:
Thought Daicos saved himself in the second half - got his hands dirty and threw himself around, and kicked a couple of goals late.

I thought Thomas was solid in the middle but he did only have 11 disposals; looks a lost cause up forward. If Stephenson plays, he's the one who should miss.

OUT: Thomas
IN: Stephenson

Thought Daicos saved himself in the second half - got his hands dirty and threw himself around, and kicked a couple of goals late.

I thought Thomas was solid in the middle but he did only have 11 disposals; looks a lost cause up forward. If Stephenson plays, he's the one who should miss.

OUT: Thomas
IN: Stephenson

Agree with that. Thomas is a strange one. Can go missing but also does often make the right decision when he gets the ball.

Bucks made reference to him last year about how he doesn't fly off to feather his own nest (go and get stats) . He will toil all day to just keep doing the little things.

Could easily go but wouldn't mind if he keeps his spot.

No change for mine. Treloar won't play based on Walshy's report, either will Stevo.

Madgen had nothing to do last night so would be harsh to drop him, unless they want a smaller option like Quaynor (if fit?)

Daicos to get another run on the back of his improved second half last night

If cox is sore Cameron in.

How.do players who are out stake there claim get fitness and improve without VFL??

I suspect they'll have to do extras on the track. And track form will count more now than ever.

Also I reckon the coaching staff will rest players more regularly this year if games continue on a constant basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I right in thinking Phillips spent last night lining up across half forward?

If he's not going to play on the wing where he can best utilise his greatest asset then I can't see how anyone could argue Stephenson isn't the better forward option if he's passed fit.

Treloar in for Thomas / Phillips if he has recovered in time.

We be allowed back to the Footy for the GF
Depends when.
Think say August / September things might be back to some sort of normality.
But who really knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back