Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 2 vs. Richmond - THUR 11/06 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't the MCG a cricket ground during summer? I think the AFL has a hard deadline for each season, so they couldn't drag it to January even if they wanted to.

If a June to Oct season was a possibility (which I strongly doubt) then I'd buy in, else I agree with you; just call it over and be done with it.

They have Marval and can use Ikon Park,Whitten Oval and Kardina Park for Games

They have Marval and can use Ikon Park,Whitten Oval and Kardina Park for Games

True they have other grounds but I believe a contract has been signed with the MCG that requires the GF to be played there.

Then again, this season is unlike any other we've faced in our lifetimes.

Isn't the MCG a cricket ground during summer? I think the AFL has a hard deadline for each season, so they couldn't drag it to January even if they wanted to.

If a June to Oct season was a possibility (which I strongly doubt) then I'd buy in, else I agree with you; just call it over and be done with it.
The men's T20 world cup is currently scheduled to commence on 18-Oct with the MCG hosting the final on 15-Nov. Adelaide Oval, Perth Stadium, SCG, the Gabba, Bellerive and Kardinia Park are all slated to host matches. Would the AFL go on another month hiatus to accommodate cricket over this period?

Last edited:

The men's T20 world cup is currently scheduled to commence on 18-Oct with the MCG hosting the final on 15-Nov. Adelaide Oval, Perth Stadium, SCG, the Gabba, Bellerive and Kardinia Park are all slated to host matches. Would the AFL go on another month hiatus to accommodate cricket over this period?

Strongly doubt that. They'd have to fit in 16 games, plus finals in around 17-18 calendar weeks. This if they could start in June and work through to early October.

Lots of contracts in strife - hello force majeure

Yes. This is no less than a level 5 hurricane that sticks around for 3-9 months.

People (especially those with commercial leases) will become familiar with this term.

Well we're not exactly he same as Italy. To begin with, they've got better red wine and their country is shaped like a boot. Just similar.

Que?

Actually, it's a cricket ground 12 months of the year but you'd imagine the only scheduled activity at the G after footy that couldn't be shifted is the Boxing Day test but if CA dug their heels in we'd just play all the Victorian games at Docklands and Kardinia Park.

EDIT: What Dave said!

What are the chances the WC will go ahead, even if there is a substantial turn around with CV-19?

The league will need the broadcast revenue to get to 2021. If we kick back off in June I suspect the fixture will be rejigged to have matches every day and teams playing off 4-5 day breaks. You play 17 rounds with a round every 5 days and you’re finished the H&A season by September, but that’s if we kick off in June. MCG is also only available until mid October. Make no mistake though so long as the threat of the virus lifts before October season 2020 will go ahead still.

What are the chances the WC will go ahead, even if there is a substantial turn around with CV-19?
The Governments are talking about 6 months of measures today, which takes us to late September. The Government is more likely to phase out restrictions vs abruptly ending them and I'd assume that open international boarders would be one of the last things to return. That would place the scheduled dates for the WC in doubt.

Well we're not exactly he same as Italy. To begin with, they've got better red wine and their country is shaped like a boot. Just similar.
depending on your taste - some full blooded Austn reds go well with a nice rib-eye etc - lighter Italian styles with classic Italian dishes - lasagna, pasta carbonara (NO CREAM OR MUSHROOMS!!)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even the government has taken a sharp turn toward intervention, the idea that health workers are heroes, that the market cant solve everything, that the unemployed aren’t responsible for their own unemployment- history is on the Chardonnay side! :)

Oh don't worry, that ship will right itself very quickly once this is over....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back