Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 21 vs. Hawthorn, MCG, Sat 05/08, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moore is 3rd in contested marks in the entire competition. He is by definition an elite contested mark

No doubt, and I didn't say he wasn't elite and I understand the run off role he plays feeds into this. But for a defender, he loses a lot of contested marking situations (27%), his efficiency isn't great.

No doubt, and I didn't say he wasn't elite and I understand the run off role he plays feeds into this. But for a defender, he loses a lot of contested marking situations (27%), his efficiency isn't great.
Both of those outcomes (and related comments) can and, clearly do, co-exist.

Moore competes in loads of contested marking contests. There are three outcomes: i) he marks it, ii) his opponent marks it, iii) the ball is spoiled.

He's elite at i) and, because he's so aggressive in backing his ability, his numbers for ii) are reasonably poor; and his attempts at iii) are lower than they'd be for an average defender who would approach the marking contest more conservatively ie. spoil first, everything else a distant 2nd.

It's all about pressure for us and whether we can maintain enough to get teams to bash it forward for us to intercept before they've got enough troops forward to stop us slingshotting it back past them. I think what we're doing will stand up in the finals when the pressure goes up. Even in the Carlton and Melbourne losses - in the first 15 and last 15 minutes when the game was at its most manic - we looked the better team. We've just got to keep it manic for long enough.

I think what TheVillageIdiot7 suggested the other day is an interesting watch - does playing two such attacking mids in Nick and JDG damage our pressure?

Ultimately, we can't remove all doubts before the finals - we can only do it by winning finals. It's been a great season from us so far, but it's been long enough - bring on the finals.
I largely agree with your take on how we want it to look. The problem I’m seeing is this narrative of “she’ll be right come finals when the heat goes up” because ultimately we need to bring that heat. The data’s clearly telling us that right now we’re not and haven’t been for a while. We’ve been squeaking by on the back of other teams shitting their pants with a lead and their poor conversion. Part of that, the poor conversion, is likely the result of us not allowing really good looks at goal and forcing bad shots. The shitting their pants thing is psychological now and won’t shift. The question really is can we be manic for long enough when it matters? And how long is long enough? I don’t know about the first, but I think the second is longer than 30 minutes which is all we’ve been good for through most of the year.

IMO, the dual threat of JDG and Naicos hasn’t impacted our pressure game because we’ve been a poor pressure team most of the year. What it seems to have impacted is the oppositions clearance efficiency which feels high at the moment. That balance might need to shift over the next month, but we won’t be abandoning that altogether as TVI suggested.

I know it’s not what you were getting at, but perhaps being front runners for such a long time has made the season feel long and is wearing us down so some of the heat coming out of that might help. You can’t win though because if we were in the chasing pack there’d be trepidation that we weren’t the best in it (traditionally our problem).

Unbelievable how some have turned since the Port game to the Blues game, isn't it?

Yeah I don’t understand the pessimism by some. 2 games clear on top, playing exciting football and a good bill of health.
Lost a game to the arch rival which none of us enjoy but let’s be honest, this mob were due to beat us… been a while. Would have been a massive build up by them.
All teams have “down” games… round of upsets.
Let’s see how we respond this week.

Go Pies!

Preview up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back