Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 3 vs. Brisbane, MARVEL Thurs 01/04 @ 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane have gone very very tall in their backline.
Andrews - 202 cms
Payne - 197 cms
Lester - 192 cms
Adams - 192 cms
Birchall - 190cms

I think they know they’ll lose a few center clearances and hope that we bomb it in.

Cox & Mihocek have their work cut out for them.

If we lower our eyes, we should hit up easy targets. Would be a great game to have Elliot & Stephenson (😂).

Good luck, happy game day. go pies

good luck to the old guy Mayne, time is catching up but as always you’ll have a crack, mind that head of yours.

That is good, let's see how he goes in VFL against senior opposition....he can force his way in on form.

Why are people so keen on using R3 as some part of development for some random games in 2023?

It is pretty simple, our AFL team for R3 should be the players who the coaching staff think will give us the best chance of winning TONIGHT.

Our performance in 2021 will be primarily dictated by the output of our senior players.

If we are going to be a successful team in the future, your fascination with how we are going in 18 months timeframe, we need some kids to come good, but if our kids are any good they will demand games after a our VFL team has a good run of wins.

By the way, how do you know which kids will even be on our list in 2023?

We don’t know which kids will be on the list in 2023 if... like Murphy... they spend multiple years on the list and still get repeatedly overlooked in favour of end of the road veterans coming off another concussion.

Cal doesn't meet your standards and that's fair enough. You state that he's not Afl standard like it's scientific fact... but it's only your opinion.

He has worn the jumper and played senior footy, that makes him "AFL standard". Maybe he will win you over given time, or he might not improve his game enough and get overtaken by others.

I would love for him to prove his doubters wrong.

Brown had a good game last week. He has similar limitations as Mayne in terms of skills and decision making though. When we were slow last week it often involved Brown's possession slowing our ball movement.

Daicos had a breakout season on the wing
Noble on the wing minimises his 1 on 1 defensive liability
Crisp split time between wing and on ball, maybe his best game as a Pie
Sidebottom should do the same
All are far superior options than a momentum killing plodder who tries really hard
We lost a forward to injury and are bringing in a (hi IQ) winger who's done bugger all in the times I've watched practice and read from Jen and others
Count on Buckley to play Daicos fwd, Noble in defence and Mayne chipping backwards after taking his full 30 seconds
at worst should have been Murphy in with Mayne as the sub
Felt the same way last week when Buc's played Callum, really hoping he proves me wrong again

Honestly I hope it’s not hate for Mayne because he’s done well for us but it’s time to play younger more skilled players and develop them. Not saying throw out all the oldies but blood some players instead of going back to the well, I think the well is empty.

To a certain extent i agree with you, i would love to see younger guys get a go, Murphy???? but since the kids didn't play VFL last year and we are waiting for the VFL season to start this year, it would be a roll of the dice, i would hope that some younger kids would be pushing for selection about half way through the season. (i hope) and guys like Mayne and Greenwood to fill the sub roll. This year there would be a lot of pressure on kids to develop (if they know it or not), guys like Mayne, Greenwood, Steele, Pendles aren't gonna play forever and we need to see kids step up and fill these rolls. No pressure :p

WHE to Elliott's role. Mayne to WHEs role always seemed the most likely scenario to me. I don't mind WHE when he's played deep, so I hope that's how we set up.

I would love to see WHE take those beautiful overhead marks he was so good at and kick a couple of goals. BUt i seem to be seeing him more and more on the wing.

Actually feels like the timing is right to play Mayne on the wing tonight and release Josh Daicos as a crumbing forward. His creativity would be much needed tonight, and at the worst we have Mayne playing as a floating defence/wing role (means he doesn't need to run as much) as well as being an older, hardened body around the ball.

Could pay off if we play our cards right. If we're going to be playing them anytime, right now without their rucks and a sore Neale is as good a time as any.

Murphy’s been training and playing intraclub on the wing to a good standard... common knowledge around here.

With our list profile of 23 players with 23 games or less (at seasons start) do you seriously think we should invest more time in Mayne? That rd 3 is the only thing the club needs to prepare for going forth? Crikey.
In am not so sure about the good standard bit. In one of the interclub games he looked slow and was beaten by a quicker player. He still has a lot to prove before he warrants senior selection and he may not succeed as a winger.

Daicos had a breakout season on the wing
Noble on the wing minimises his 1 on 1 defensive liability
Crisp split time between wing and on ball, maybe his best game as a Pie
Sidebottom should do the same
All are far superior options than a momentum killing plodder who tries really hard
We lost a forward to injury and are bringing in a (hi IQ) winger who's done bugger all in the times I've watched practice and read from Jen and others
Count on Buckley to play Daicos fwd, Noble in defence and Mayne chipping backwards after taking his full 30 seconds
at worst should have been Murphy in with Mayne as the sub
Felt the same way last week when Buc's played Callum, really hoping he proves me wrong again

no way Mayne would be picked if he failed to execute the faster game style during match sim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scientific fact , WTF , are we on Mars , we are on a footy field , don`t worry about my opinion , simple fact is that "Cal" is below average in every facet of the game , he has been gifted the jumper 50 times due to his heritage, I will put to you , put "Cal" on the the trade table at the end of the season , what do you think another club will offer us .. a packet of chicken samboy flavoured chips or a polly waffle, ! take the chips , he has proved already he is a polly waffle
You keep mixing up fact and opinion. "Cal below average in every facet of the game" is your opinion not a fact.

Brown had a good game last week. He has similar limitations as Mayne in terms of skills and decision making though. When we were slow last week it often involved Brown's possession slowing our ball movement.

I didn't see that as much last week. Having said that you might be right but ATM he's in the team for his forward pressure. He kept his man accountable and made a positive contribution overall.

Unlike Mayne he is young and 2020 knocked his confidence quite a bit. He might come good on the decision making front as he becomes more comfy in his own shoes.

Last edited:
Scientific fact , WTF , are we on Mars , we are on a footy field , don`t worry about my opinion , simple fact is that "Cal" is below average in every facet of the game , he has been gifted the jumper 50 times due to his heritage, I will put to you , put "Cal" on the the trade table at the end of the season , what do you think another club will offer us .. a packet of chicken samboy flavoured chips or a polly waffle, ! take the chips , he has proved already he is a polly waffle

It's harsh to mark anyone that's good enough to rise through the ranks of junior footy and get a senior game as "below average".

On the other hand, insinuating that the club gifts games due to heritage is as "below average" as it gets.

In am not so sure about the good standard bit. In one of the interclub games he looked slow and was beaten by a quicker player. He still has a lot to prove before he warrants senior selection and he may not succeed as a winger.

Was in the black training top. That means he was in the frame for selection. Clearly going okay enough on the wing

Murphy’s been training and playing intraclub on the wing to a good standard... common knowledge around here.

With our list profile of 23 players with 23 games or less (at seasons start) do you seriously think we should invest more time in Mayne? That rd 3 is the only thing the club needs to prepare for going forth? Crikey.

I don't think Mayne will play much wing though. I think he's going to play forward. It looks like they're going to give Tyler Brown development time on one wing and I think the other wing will be a more attacking option - Crisp and Daicos. Mayne will probably only play wing when Tyler has a rest. Noble also likely to spend some time on the wing.

The wings are full. Murphy needs Tyler to come on dramatically so that they move him to a more demanding role. Murphy is looking like Shaz V2 - too slow for most roles.

Brisbane have gone very very tall in their backline.
Andrews - 202 cms
Payne - 197 cms
Lester - 192 cms
Adams - 192 cms
Birchall - 190cms

I think they know they’ll lose a few center clearances and hope that we bomb it in.

Cox & Mihocek have their work cut out for them.

If we lower our eyes, we should hit up easy targets. Would be a great game to have Elliot & Stephenson (😂).

JDG time - plus WHE to play deep and re-capture 2018 form - which occurred when he was played deep - when JDG and Stepho became the preferred deep options in 2018, WHE went off the boil and hasn't been the same since.

I don't think Mayne will play much wing though. I think he's going to play forward. It looks like they're going to give Tyler Brown development time on one wing and I think the other wing will be a more attacking option - Crisp and Daicos. Mayne will probably only play wing when Tyler has a rest. Noble also likely to spend some time on the wing.

The wings are full. Murphy needs Tyler to come on dramatically so that they move him to a more demanding role. Murphy is looking like Shaz V2 - too slow for most roles.

Murphy can play back, can play wing, was good up front as a junior. Can play a part in the rotations like Mayne will.

Murphy just needs a block of games to build just like T Brown and Sier are getting. From there we will know more about him and whether to persist with him beyond his current contract.

Anyhow, agree to disagree on that one

I didn't see that as much last week. Having said that you might be right but ATM he's in the team for his forward pressure. He kept his man accountable and made a positive contribution overall.

Unlike Mayne he is young and 2020 knocked his confidence quite a bit. He might come good on the decision making front as he becomes more comfy in his own shoes.

Brown had a much better game on a lot of measures but his decision making was treacle. If he can tidy that up and improve his strength he'll be handy, even accounting for his lack of height and kicking penetration. I'm happy for him to keep developing, he looked improved last week but still a long way to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back