Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 4 vs. GWS, MCG Sat 10/04 @ 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckley and Hoskin-Elliott might well have the last laugh up against a seriously weakened GWS side but that matters little in the long run to me.

It's the bigger picture I care about and Buckley had the opportunity to send a clear message to the playing group about the standards he expects from them and that efforts like we witnessed from Hoskin-Elliott last week (and not for the first time) will not be tolerated.

I am prepared to take an open mind to Buckley remaining coach beyond this season but this is strike 1 against him in season 2021 as far as I'm concerned and he has shirked making a selection decision against a senior player that many on here would have considered warranted.

100%

This club hasn’t had any integrity of selection for a bloody long time.

It’s beyond infuriating.

Even Jonathon brown was laughing at WHE selection at half time..

Loved him in past but delist..cooked

As soon as the media started talking about the piss poor efforts of Thomas and WHE (in particular during the last passage of play) and that they should face the axe, you could just tell neither of them would actually be dropped.

We never hold players to account for their substandard performances.

As a club, particularly under Buckley, we are downright contrarian and determined never to bow to public pressure/criticism. Even when that pressure/criticism is considered and warranted.

From the outside we appear to be simply obstinate.

Last edited:
I couldn't believe that team when I saw it. I've been a massive Bucks fan throughout his coaching career, but this year I am beginning to waver. WHE has been gifted 3 games that he hasn't deserved. On pre-season form there was no way he should have been selected. But after last week's terrible effort, I'm dumbfounded. Callum Brown is not up to AFL standard, yet he gets a game at the expense of his more talented brother. I won't complain about Thomas's retention, because at least he put in during the first half. Mayne's been a workhorse, but if there isn't anybody else good enough to push him out, then we are truly stuffed. Are we not developing our kids? Are we picking duds? Or is Bucks protecting his position?
I think Bucks's only hope of retaining his position is to be daring and to play kids and get a year into them. We're not going anywhere this year, so Bucks ought to be taking a leaf out of Port's and Sydney's playbooks. It seems he will never be daring. I think Graeme Wright would be drawing up a little list.

Like you, I've been a huge Buckley fan. I felt that he had turned the corner as a coach in 2018. I still like him as past player, media performer, and person but he has regressed as a coach since 2018 if the way the team is performing is what we judge him on.

I don't support wholesale changes week in-week out but the jungle drums have been beating for a while about some of our older players; we should be turning to their replacements and backing them to do better.

I don't believe Bucks is doing this out of self preservation. My guess is that he wants to show faith in his players and hold a steady ship in choppy waters. The lack of a 2s comp would make it harder for any match committee to turn to youth but if other clubs have made the leap, why can't we?

I'm disappointed that T.Brown is out. He did not do less than Mayne or WHE.

When you look around the room and can’t find the idiot, it’s generally you.

Thank you for the chuckle, this place can still entertain. :)

Daicos and T. Brown have both been played out of position this year. While I don't advocate dropping Brown hopefully this week's change and the inclusion of McCreery allows Daicos to return to a wing. I also hope when Brown returns it's in the centre square.

Agree. I’ll be more upset though if Tyler lines up on a wing at VFL level though.

We keep going on about how he doesn’t get enough of the ball. I don’t think he’s a winger so that doesn’t help him.

Get him in the guts where he can have the best impact.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wholesale changes aren't required, I'm okay with TB out, let him develop with mid time in the two's. Wrapt with the in of McCreery, haven't seen him play but he has the traits we are missing so why not.

Like most others here the one that gets me is WHE, after that defensive effort last week alone he should not hold his spot, let alone the last 12 months.

I can't see it as Buckley worrying about win/loss, WHE will mot make a difference either way. It's not about blooding too many kids at once because the in would be Cameron/Kelly.

And don't give me this inner sanctum, outside voices don't matter bullshite, I watch every minute every week usually 2-3 times. If WHE is performing to his KPI's then the problem is whoever sets that standard.

I've always been a fan of WHE but if his output over the last year and a bit is the standard that Collingwood deems good enough to be selected, than that is why we continue to be mediocre. How you can produce this kind of form for so long and keep your spot is beyond me.

How does WHE get a game? Deadset?
We talk about lack of depth in the middle and we drop Brown. Admittedly he hasn’t set the world on fire but contributes far more than JT and WHE.

WHE especially his form has dipped that much we may as well play with 17

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always been a fan of WHE but if his output over the last year and a bit is the standard that Collingwood deems good enough to be selected, than that is why we continue to be mediocre. How you can produce this kind of form for so long and keep your spot is beyond me.
Exactly, you have to reward the blokes putting their hand up in the twos. I am not completely writing him off just yet but waiting for him to come good and find form in the seniors just is not working

Look this isnt the worst part.

The worst part comes in 12 months. We've finished 12th, Bucks is let go, and the next poor bastard has to admit that Thomas, WHE, Mayne, Roughead, Greenwood are done and never taking us anywhere meaningful, Pendles, Howe and Sidey not long for this game and increasingly injury prone if left in key roles, Elliott's body busted and no longer able to cope with more than 2 games in a row, and C Brown and D Cameron a busted flush.

And he is going to have the likes of Murphy, Rantall, Keane, Kelly, Bianco, Reef, Wilson, Henry, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery, Macrae, who in theory should be the next generation, forced to step into the breach at once...all having played fu** all.

I pity that guy.

All the chickens have to come home to roost. We have built up more than an Inghams plant in the last few years, pissing first rounders up against a wall, returning to the well with journeymen, overpaying for guys we didnt need (Beams, Treloar) instead of focussing everything on the one crushingly obvious need we had (Lynch). Then managing to mismanage the salary cap worse than anyone since Carlton and paying a million a year for a player in the one position you can afford to get by with a journeyman.

It has to have consequences; the competition's equalisation measures are designed to apply gravity to your performance, and if you give it a hand by pointing head down and deploying rocket boosters, physics takes over. This just makes it more likely they will all come at once, probably next year. Id check odds on the spoon for 2022 if anyone is prepared to quote and be prepared to give it a nudge.

Poison chalice. Who is prepared to take it on in 2022?

Interesting reading over on the Giants board. There's fewer posters there (naturally) but a fair proportion are up in arms about Leon's team selections - calling for his axing.

We should all be happy Leon is their coach, they should’ve won 2 flags by now with the talent they’ve had.

We are not playing finals so there is no need to play Hoskin Elliott Thomas Greenwood or Mayne unless you are trying to save your job and not care about the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back