Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 4 vs. GWS, MCG Sat 10/04 @ 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The way I see things is we have 2 options:

- play these old misfits and finish 6th - 8th. Probably get knocked out of the first round of finals.

- transition the new kids into the team and finish 8th - 12th. Get development into the young kids and hope we can push for finals and more next year.

I don’t think anyone thinks our list is good enough for a flag at the moment.

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
Is it strange that the VFL season starts so much later than the AFL season this year?

Certainly doesn’t help. We seem to be usually pretty good at having debutants come in and have an impact around Anzac Day.

Some can play straight off the bat due to extreme talent but even guys like Pendles have built a block before coming in. I just don’t want another Henry selection that is out of their depth.

McCreery seems most likely to get a call up.

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
The GWS are going into this game pretty decimated by injury. If we are seriously in the race this season, we should be winning this game by at least 6 to 7 goals.
I want to see the introduction in this game of a couple of first gamers, particularly Macrae and McCreery, maybe a left field selection in Wilson, who played well in the VFL practice match.
Like to see DeGoey dominate this game, in the midfield, resting forward. He could have a 25+ disposal game, and kick 3.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
The way I see things is we have 2 options:

- play these old misfits and finish 6th - 8th. Probably get knocked out of the first round of finals.

- transition the new kids into the team and finish 8th - 12th. Get development into the young kids and hope we can push for finals and more next year.

I don’t think anyone thinks our list is good enough for a flag at the moment.

IMO the only way this would happen is if GW gives NB a one year extension and tells him to play the kids. The added benefit is that we will also get a crystal clear assessment of our group, as we approach the super draft.
Otherwise, like every other Coach in his last year, NB will logically focus on wins.

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just play 'em

"For Collingwood and Nathan Buckley, the moment has arrived when the Magpies, too, must aggressively promote youth. It should begin this weekend when they face the depleted Giants and continue into their games against West Coast, Essendon (Anzac Day), Gold Coast and North Melbourne."

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
Just play 'em

"For Collingwood and Nathan Buckley, the moment has arrived when the Magpies, too, must aggressively promote youth. It should begin this weekend when they face the depleted Giants and continue into their games against West Coast, Essendon (Anzac Day), Gold Coast and North Melbourne."

Absolutely agree with this article. This season needs to be a year of youth at our club, and get games into Rantall, Bianco, Macrae, Poulter, Murphy, McCreery, McInnes, Keane and Wilson. All these guys should be exposed to senior footy this year. Henry l would play for consecutive matches, and not drop him off one performance.
The side currently has a stagnate feel about it, and unfortunately WHE, Thomas and Mayne in particular need to make way for players coming through.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely agree with this article. This season needs to be a year of youth at our club, and get games into Rantall, Bianco, Macrae, Poulter, Murphy, McCreery, McInnes, Keane and Wilson. All these guys should be exposed to senior footy this year. Henry l would play for consecutive matches, and not drop him off one performance.
The side currently has a stagnate feel about it, and unfortunately WHE, Thomas and Mayne in particular need to make way for players coming through.
Kids aren’t ready mate. Will take them couple of years to reach the scoring prowress of whe, Thomas and brown who average 1 goal between them.

If we lose this fu**en sh*t man.. I fu**en swear man.. imma open up a VHS shop on Brunswick st.. and give everyone the impression I'm doing my bit for the community..

fu** it reeee.. I'm fu**en done man.. like a fu**en dogs dinner mate. I simply can't anymore.
I've got an old Beta Max in the garage. Can you help me out with any movies?

Murphy has concussion and out for two weeks. The other issue I have with Murphy is that he has got games in the past and shown nothing...so my question to you all is, how do you know he’s going to impact? I’m not saying he isn’t, I actually rate him...but is he ready given his injury interrupted development and lack of game time last year.
I'm almost at the point of writing Murphy off. Maybe he just doesn't have the body for the wear and tear of AFL footy?

Nial spot on. Some of us have been arguing the same on here for months now

- we are no longer in our premiership window

- before rd 1 there were 23 players with 23 games or less on the list

- therefore the need to transition away from having so many players that are 28 years old and over.

- That means dropping Thomas and WHE and not playing the Maynes and Greenwood’s unless injury stricken

- first year kids aside... there are several players in Sier, Murphy, Kelly, Keane, Lynch, Tohill, Wilson, Rantall, Ruscoe, Bianco who have been on the list longer and need to be given blocks of games this year

Of that group Sier (finally) and Ruscoe have been given games this year. Some of the above players like Kelly and Bianco have been injured. Others I’ve marked in bold have been largely ignored.

As for the claim they’ve had no VFL footy last year. True... but they’ve been training, playing intra clubs and several scratch matches in the hubs last year.

Need to turn some of these players over if the club isn’t prepared to play them this year

Kids will get games this year, it's inevitable with our lack of depth. I don't see the rush. Is the difference between a kid playing 4 rather than 8, or 10 rather than 15 games this year really going to have any impact on their future career?

And I wouldn't be writing many clubs off this year - with the changes to the game, some club without a great list, but who has worked out the best system to attack and defend the new rules could easily pinch a flag.

The GWS are going into this game pretty decimated by injury. If we are seriously in the race this season, we should be winning this game by at least 6 to 7 goals.
I want to see the introduction in this game of a couple of first gamers, particularly Macrae and McCreery, maybe a left field selection in Wilson, who played well in the VFL practice match.
Like to see DeGoey dominate this game, in the midfield, resting forward. He could have a 25+ disposal game, and kick 3.
What happened to GWS's never-ending supply of first round draft picks to call on? I'm sure they've still got a few in reserve ready to come in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
We'll let them get a little closer then 6-7 goals but should get over the line.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah and we can widen our net to include future prospects from primary school to start them next week in the VFL side.

3 first gamers with no football for 18 months in their first game together???

1 or 2 is possible but 3 is simply tanking.

We are all frustrated with our bottom 6 but throwing first gamers in at the deep end with no football or match conditioning behind them for the last 18 months is not a good look - for the club and the youngsters.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Niall's article was well balanced. Mostly hes stating the bleeding obvious.

He has also acknowledged that there are legitimate reasons why we havent played more kids yet.

Every time somebody gets close to selection theres been a minor setback. (Macrae, McInnes, Murphy, Bianco, Kelly).Two were tried and were dropped. (Henry, Ruscoe). Some of the others are Victorians who didnt play last year at all, and the club wisely has decided to let them at least play some VFL (which hasnt started yet). So that leaves Poulter and McCreery from SA. Poulter by all accounts is a bit too skinny whilst McCreery was actually selected last week in the 23 but not required... and will play this week

Last edited:

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh good, Bucks has been listening to this board!

"We're pretty confident with the team we went in with last week, whether it remains the same, we'll finish selection this afternoon."

Feb 2, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh good, Bucks has been listening to this board!

"We're pretty confident with the team we went in with last week, whether it remains the same, we'll finish selection this afternoon."

Genuinely pathetic isn’t it.
If we go into this game with no changes I will blow my lid right off.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
It must be very disheartening for guys like Murphy, Cameron, Wilson, Keane and (previously) Sier to see the same old unproductive players continuously selected over the years, even when their output is consistently low.

There have been so many team cloggers over recent years who have delayed the development of the next crop - guys like Blair, Varcoe, Mayne, Reid, Wills, Cal Brown, Madgen etc continued to be selected long after they had passed their respective peaks (or never even reached heights that could be described as peaks).

We lack ruthlessness with old warhorses and are so unimaginative and risk-averse with our youngsters.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

riddick78

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Genuinely pathetic isn’t it.
If we go into this game with no changes I will blow my lid right off.

I think if WHE doesn't get dropped at least, a lot of supporters will blow their lid.

It must be very disheartening for guys like Murphy, Cameron, Wilson, Keane and (previously) Sier to see the same old unproductive players continuously selected over the years, even when their output is consistently low.

I'm not sure why some of these players don't get played, I can see Murphy going to another team, anyone know whats going on with Lynch?!?!!? i know he had one shocking game, but what the hell are we doing with him? and how long has he been on our list for?!?!?! If some of these kids are performing, they should be called up.

WOW, just wow, i don't know what to say about that comment, it is so disheartening. I guess we are playing the same team then. sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back