Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 5 vs. Essendon - FRI 03/07 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Ins and Outs since last time they played.

Essendon INS: Hooker, Zaharakis, Ridley, Fantasia, Snelling, Stringer, Townsend, Phillips, Smith and Hibbered.

Essendon OUTS: McKenna, Merrett, Bellchambers, Ambrose, Francis, Jok, Brown, Begley, Hartley and Clarke.

Collingwood INS: Daicos, T Brown, Degoey, Stephenson and Cox

Collingwood OUTS: Noble, Thomas, Greenwood, Howe and Madgen,

Essendon INS: Hooker, Zaharakis, Ridley, Fantasia, Snelling, Stringer, Townsend, Phillips, Smith and Hibbered.

Essendon OUTS: McKenna, Merrett, Bellchambers, Ambrose, Francis, Jok, Brown, Begley, Hartley and Clarke.

Forgot about Jok, that was a bit of a disaster debut

Sidebottom must've been missing with a ruptured testicle last year. Done his balls again.

Yeah, whether people like it or not; Sier is behind Wills at the moment. Will need to dominate the reserves to get his foot in front.
If you want it enough you can do it.
Compare the separate cases of Nick Maxwell and Brayden Sier and Tony Shaw.
Maxy was simply not considered good enough down Geelong way and had an uphill battle to break through the crust.
Our previous captain Tony Shaw was also not considered good enough.
Sier has so much more potential than both yet he languishes on the edge of credibility.
I doubt he wants it enough.

If you want it enough you can do it.
Compare the separate cases of Nick Maxwell and Brayden Sier and Tony Shaw.
Maxy was simply not considered good enough down Geelong way and had an uphill battle to break through the crust.
Our previous captain Tony Shaw was also not considered good enough.
Sier has so much more potential than both yet he languishes on the edge of credibility.
I doubt he wants it enough.
Yeah, of course you can. The player needs to fight it, and make them pick him. So far, he hasn't.

Bombers fans seem to think Phillips is well ahead of Bellchambers despite being a debutant, I know nothing about him though.
Seen him a few times in the VFL. When the trade was done I told some bomber fans I know that Phillips would overtake Bellchambers. They didn't believe me at the time. Phillips is never going to be a star, but he's a big body who will provide a good honest contest. Your old school non-athletic ruck who's also handy at floating back to fill space in defence. Much better list fit than Clarke who they tried as a backup last year; he's the right age and style to compliment / fill in while Draper develops.

I like the changes but would have also liked to have seen Sier come in for Wills.

Didn’t even hold his place among the emergencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t remember what you said about JT. Must have been pretty boring.

JT listed as an emergency so those crowing about his demise might be going a bit early. He’ll be back into the seniors at some stage.

Happy to persist with Tyler given Steele has created a vacancy.

I should say that I’m not particularly singling out Tyler. I just named his as an illustration. It’s more a comment that our current line-up is carrying too many slightly-built, introverted and/or non-combative players - WHE, T.Brown, C.Brown, Phillips, Mayne, Noble & Daicos. That’s far too many of that type and leaves us asking too much from too few. We need more physical bulls who have the confidence and skill to have big impacts on the outcome of matches.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Happy with the changes. Treloar was always going to come back this week.
Good to see Shaz given another chance - hopefully he can cement a spot in that back 6.
Varcoe is one of my faves so always happy to see him play. Hopefully he plays like the wrecking ball he was a few years back haha.

How I see us lining up:

B - Maynard Roughead Sharenberg
HB - Crisp Moore Varcoe
C - Phillips Pendlebury Mayne
HF - DeGoey Mihochek WHE
F - Elliott Cox Stephenson
R - Grundy Adams Treloar
INT - Daicos Wills Brown Brown

I should say that I’m not particularly singling out Tyler. I just named his as an illustration. It’s more a comment that our current line-up is carrying too many slightly-built, introverted and/or non-combative players - WHE, T.Brown, C.Brown, Phillips, Mayne, Noble & Daicos. That’s far too many of that type and leaves us asking too much from too few. We need more physical bulls who have the confidence and skill to have big impacts on the outcome of matches.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think you’re grossly exaggerating. We are three points off being undefeated (with the draw and loss being against last years Grand Finallists) and travelling pretty well.

Sure, some young skinny guys are young and skinny but the experience that the likes of Noble and T Brown have been gaining is invaluable and will make a difference down the track.

Very happy with the changes.

Though thought T.Brown is very lucky.

I think in a season like this, you will want to expose players like T Brown to as much footy as possible.
Hopefully soon we will get to see Kelly, Rantall, Bianco and Quaynor get some games soon. This may well be a possibility, with the now suggested condensing of as many games into one month of footy in the hubs.
With as many as 6 games per side in 4 weeks, player management will be crucial, so the younger guys on the list have a window of opportunity now, which is fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back