Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 6 vs. Essendon, MCG ANZAC Day Sun 25/04 @ 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Bombers have arguably been the most hot-and-cold side in the competition this year, with Collingwood not too far behind. Their formline has been fairly similar to ours so far this season; they lost a game they should have won against Hawthorn (as we did to GWS), they lost a game they were expected to lose against Port Adelaide (as we did against the Bulldogs) and came very close to beating Sydney when they were probably expected to lose (as we did against Brisbane).

The Bombers' thumping win against St. Kilda in Round 3, however, came out of the box. It has shown the football world that although the Bombers likely won't be a finals side in 2021, they can prove to be a very good side on their day and should not be underestimated.

Regardless of form, the ANZAC Day game always seems to bring a big crowd and could go either way.

The ANZAC recognition game (if we could call it that?) last year - played on Friday night at the MCG on July 3 in front of no crowd - resulted in a 48-63 loss for the Pies.

Dylan Shiel was the Bombers' best with 29 disposals and a goal. Stringer kicked 3 goals and again looks capable of anything on his day. Outside of these 2 players, the Bombers had an even amount of contributors and the Pies really struggled to score.

The Bombers side will look considerably different this time around (no Shiel, McKernan, Saad, Zaharakis, Fantasia or Townsend). And although he didn't play in the 2020 encounter, Joe Daniher is obviously no longer able to cause us headaches as he so often has in the past.

That said, injuries to our key personnel (pending diagnosis on JDG and Mihocek) may be insurmountable.

CHANGES

IN: Cox, WHE, Kelly, T Brown
OUT: Cameron, Howe (inj), Keane (suspension for tripping), JDG (inj)

Moore back to defence, Kelly forward.

* all pending VFL tomorrow...

List looking a bit shallow now. Might get done here.

Last edited:
Moore to defence, the goals he has kicked have been in junk time.

Moore stops 4-5 goals a game as a defender. As a forward he needs to kick 6 to be a positive.

Allen or Darking don’t kick 5 each through the 2nd/3rd qtrs if Moore is in defence.

Well looks like we will have 4 forced changes.

In. Cox, Murphy,Kelly & whichever young player plays well in the VFL game. I Imagine they bring WHE back though.

Out. Mihocek, Howe, De Goey, Keane

B. J.Magden/J.Roughead/B.Maynard
HB. I.Quaynor/D.Moore/J.Noble
R. B.Grundy/S.Pendlbury/S.Sidebottom
C. J.Daicos/L.Greenwood/J.Crisp
HF. C.Brown/D.Cameron/J.Thomas
F. B.McCreery/M.Cox/W.Kelly
int. N.Murphy/F.Macrae/C.Mayne/Young Player (who plays Mid or Fwd)

With the outs we have, we are staring
Down the barrel of 1/5

on the plus side. Tanking for mid season draft and callow suits me

Nice and early ;)

OUT: Howe - Mayne - Mihocek (if injured) / Cameron - Keane (if suspended)
IN: Murphy - Cox - Poulter - Kelly (if Keane suspended)

FB: Maynard - Roughead - Quaynor
HB: Murphy - Keane / Kelly - Crisp
C: Daicos - Sier - Noble
HF: Sidebottom - Moore - Mihocek / Cameron
FF: De Goey - Cox - McCreery
FOLL: Grundy - Pendlebury - Macrae
INT: Madgen - Poulter - Greenwood - Thomas
EMERG: C. Brown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the outs we have, we are staring
Down the barrel of 1/5

on the plus side. Tanking for mid season draft and callow suits me
Jack Callow is a must IMO at this point. Need to select him. Not sure how good he will be but seems somewhat ready made.

I honestly don’t care if Madgen is playing himself into form on the wing.

He is taking Daicos’ spot FFS

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Going at under 60%, especially when 70% of your touches are by hand is abysmal. He needs to go and move Daicos back to the wing.

Out: Howe (inj), Cameron (omit), Madgen (omit), Cal Brown (omit) De Goey (inj),
In: Cox, Murphy, Hoskin-Elliott, Rantall/Sier

Give Moore another game up forward, there's no point making the move for just one game. Move Daicos to play 90% midfield, 10% forward

Hopefully Rantall will play a good enough VFL game to justify an ANZAC Day debut. But we definitely need to be getting games into him/Sier/Ty Brown instead of Madgen.

Edit - updated to reflect the De Goey news

In: Poulter, Murphy, T. Brown
Out: De Goey (concussion ?), Howe (inj), C. Brown,

I would also drop Sier, Madgen, Keane, Thomas and Mayne but we just having nothing left to bring in to replace them.
Wouldnt be against bringing in Henry and playing him in Howe's role but he may not be ready for that.

Out: Howe (inj), Cameron (omit), Madgen (omit), Cal Brown (omit) De Goey (inj),
In: Cox, Murphy, Hoskin-Elliott, Rantall/Sier

Give Moore another game up forward, there's no point making the move for just one game. Move Daicos to play 90% midfield, 10% forward

Hopefully Rantall will play a good enough VFL game to justify an ANZAC Day debut. But we definitely need to be getting games into him/Sier/Ty Brown instead of Madgen.

Edit - updated to reflect the De Goey news

Keane will be suspended for kicking Kennedy's ankle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back