Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 6 vs. Hawthorn - Giants Stadium (NSW), 7:50pm Fri 10/07

Remove this Banner Ad

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
The issue is that De Goey, Elliott and Stephenson aren't genuine smalls. They play as key talls. De Goey and Stephenson in particular are around the 190cm height so are realistically playing as tall forwards.

I think 3 talls works in general, but then you need genuine crumbers.

If we go in with a forward line of Cox, Mihocek, Kelly, De Goey, Elliott and Stephenson, then we are basically play 6 guys who want to play as key forwards. Then chuck in WHE as well.

I actually think we should play Stephenson from the goal square and De Goey as CHF. Elliott probably drops out of the team unless one of De Goey or Stephenson are out. Mihocek and Cox play as targets, but basically drawing out key defenders to give Stephenson the best matchup. Then I'd go 2 genuine small crumbers. I actually reckon Broomhead and Cal Brown are the 2 I'd use.
How would you set up the forward line this week, with DeGoey out?

As far as crumbers go, I reckon Sidebottom is our best and should be played permanently forward in this last phase of his career. As a midfielder in vital matches, he goes missing under a hard tag, which creates a real problem for us. But as a crumber, Sidey will only need a handful of touches to do some real damage.

As far as crumbers go, I reckon Sidebottom is our best and should be played permanently forward in this last phase of his career. As a midfielder in vital matches, he goes missing under a hard tag, which creates a real problem for us. But as a crumber, Sidey will only need a handful of touches to do some real damage.
I wouldn't mind this, but with a different twist, I'd unleash him into the midfield for big games and moments. If he's predominantly forward, he's unlikely to get tagged when he does move into the midfield.

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Whilst we're in the window, we need to start transitioning in blooding younger players and play the likes of Murphy, Quaynor, Rantall, Kelly, Noble, Sire.
Varcoe, Cox, WHE, Phillips on very thin ice.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
What I think it will be:
Out: De Goey
In: Thomas

What I hope it will be:
Out: De Goey, Wills, T. Brown
In: Kelly, Sier, Quaynor

Move Varcoe to the forward pocket, he's still our best crumbing forward, and put him at the feet of Cox. We know Trav is cooked when it comes to marking above his head and the thought of him under a high-ball matched up against someone like Wingard already makes me shudder, plus he looks to have lost a bit of penetration on his kick (granted that could just be first game rustiness), however we were killed by turnovers in the back half last week.

As much as I like Mason I think he's done with us, a club should seriously consider recruiting him as their main ruck, but for now I'd put him in the goal square with Varcoe at his feet and get him to at least compete in the air and try and bring it to ground. As an addition if he is going to continue to be out marked in situations, I would rather that is happening deep in our forward line rather than at half forward where the Hawks can easily pick us off on the rebound. At least then we have a chance to lock it on our forward 50 or more time to set up defensively rather than having them stream of our half forward line, and we're caught on the back foot. I know people get concerned that playing Mason deep makes us predictable, however that shouldn't be on Mason that should be on the rest of the playing group. Going to Mason in the square is the "break-glass" option if a lead for Stevo, Kelly, Elliot, Mihocek etc isn't on, Mason in the square is not plan A,B, C or D it's the back up option. Let him at least bring it to ground and give someone like Varcoe or Daicos a chance to create something from the crumb.

brockbruiser

All Australian
Sep 15, 2007
Tassie
AFL Club
Collingwood
In: J.Thomas, Sier, Quaynor
Out: DeGoey, T.Brown, Varcoe.

I'm 50/50 on Cox going out and putting it down as a poor selection in the weather conditions.

Wills only 40% game time against Essendon so potentially he is also an out for Sier. But what ever we do, we need speed.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood

I would probably go:

Cox, Stephenson, Broomhead
Elliott, Cox, C. Brown

That way it's 2 talls, 2 mid-sized lead-ups, and 2 genuine smalls.

I would probably go:

Cox, Stephenson, Broomhead
Elliott, Cox, C. Brown

That way it's 2 talls, 2 mid-sized lead-ups, and 2 genuine smalls.

2 Cox's are better than one then? ;)

NS1990

Draftee
Apr 8, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How do I get tickets for the game? Can't find on AFL website and last I heard only Giants Gold Members can get tickets to the ground

BTW, I'm on the good side of the border these days
Same question, i'm in Sydney and haven't been able to work out how the tickets are arranged?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I would go:

IN Thomas, Sier, Noble
OUT: De Goey, Wills, T Brown

I'm not really excited by those inclusions.

We don't have much depth to bring in and a lot of players out of form.

I would give Cox another week. He was garbage but he is returning from a long layoff, it was a wet night with terrible ball movement. One more game to find form and if he doesn't show any I'd bring in Reid. It's too early for Kelly imo, and Cameron isn't much of a forward.

Varcoe also gets another game but up forward.

I'd bring Noble back in as a defender where Varcoe was playing and drop T Brown. Tyler has been given a go and I was really concerned by some short stepping he did approaching contests where he should have gone hard. Not good enough.

Wills has had enough of a run and put simply is an awful kick, awful below his knees and too slow. A liability on the outside and on the inside gets tackled before dishing off which slows play.

I would bring in Sier and give him an opportunity. We know his best is up to it. Whether his heart is in it I guess we'll find out.

De Goey I wouldn't go like for like because we have other deep leading forwards. I would bring in a small forward and Thomas will add some crumbing and is the most senior. Hopefully he's found form since losing his spot.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I now it won’t happen (and it’s probably not the best selection idea either) but I noticed Quaynor, Kelley and Atu all named in the bests from the scratch match against Essendon. Wouldn’t it be an awesome story if they were the ins given they all came out of the same draft and via the F/S and NGA programs.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
What I think it will be:
Out: De Goey
In: Thomas

What I hope it will be:
Out: De Goey, Wills, T. Brown
In: Kelly, Sier, Quaynor

Move Varcoe to the forward pocket, he's still our best crumbing forward, and put him at the feet of Cox. We know Trav is cooked when it comes to marking above his head and the thought of him under a high-ball matched up against someone like Wingard already makes me shudder, plus he looks to have lost a bit of penetration on his kick (granted that could just be first game rustiness), however we were killed by turnovers in the back half last week.

As much as I like Mason I think he's done with us, a club should seriously consider recruiting him as their main ruck, but for now I'd put him in the goal square with Varcoe at his feet and get him to at least compete in the air and try and bring it to ground. As an addition if he is going to continue to be out marked in situations, I would rather that is happening deep in our forward line rather than at half forward where the Hawks can easily pick us off on the rebound. At least then we have a chance to lock it on our forward 50 or more time to set up defensively rather than having them stream of our half forward line, and we're caught on the back foot. I know people get concerned that playing Mason deep makes us predictable, however that shouldn't be on Mason that should be on the rest of the playing group. Going to Mason in the square is the "break-glass" option if a lead for Stevo, Kelly, Elliot, Mihocek etc isn't on, Mason in the square is not plan A,B, C or D it's the back up option. Let him at least bring it to ground and give someone like Varcoe or Daicos a chance to create something from the crumb.

Essendon were interested in Cox to come in as their main ruck last trade period. Not sure why they didn't push hard after initial conversations with us.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I noticed no pics of Roughead from training today. Did he not end up making the trip to Sydney?

I'd like to see Sier in and Varcoe out, and am really tempted to bring in Kelly but I'm not convinced Sier and Wills can play in the same side and with De Goey already being a forced omission I'm not sure if they'll make many more changes.

I noticed no pics of Roughead from training today. Did he not end up making the trip to Sydney?

I'd like to see Sier in and Varcoe out, and am really tempted to bring in Kelly but I'm not convinced Sier and Wills can play in the same side and with De Goey already being a forced omission I'm not sure if they'll make many more changes.
No, roughy went. We don't always get to see pics of everyone. I wouldn't think too much about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back