Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 6 vs. Hawthorn - Giants Stadium (NSW), 7:50pm Fri 10/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Dropping Noble seemed logical till we saw Varcoe play in his position. Now it's a case of wanting the lesser of two evils and hoping Noble has some improvement left in him. Crisp does seem to have regressed which robs the backline of even more pace, hence the need to balance Scharenburg with someone like Noble. Got no idea what sort of form Quaynor or how any of the 14 a side players are doing, so suggesting ins is like dividing the city into hot and not hot spots. A bit of a guessing game.

The problem with dropping Cox and resting Mihochek if injured is who replaces them? If Tyler Brown or Quaynor is not ready for the big time, then surely nor is Kelly?

I guess the possibility is to go with a smaller forward line. DeGoey back at FF. Just one tall.everyine else just running about using their pace and skill.

I want Noble back in. He's not headed for stardom, but he's been both decent and improving. Dropping him was a mistake.

T. Brown looked spent soon after the game had begun. Wills was ineffective, even by his modest standards. I don't think that Sier has much to offer, but we should take the opportunity to find out.

Out: Varcoe
In: Noble

Out: Wills
In: Sier

I've looked at some of the footage of our scratch match v Ess, and read some of the reports. The only thing Sier seems to be putting his hand up for at this stage is bong filled with the finest weed. He really doesn't have so much talent that he can afford to burn a portion of it with a s**t attitude. Maybe he just doesn't want it. And this is fair enough, because I never wanted to do the hard yards to be an elite footballer either, but he's on our list and he exists as an option and his worthiness of being on the list needs to be tested right now. Put up, or blow away.

Out: T. Brown
In: Jay Rantall

Plenty of other disappointments, but they can't all be solved in a week.

Last edited:

Out: Cox, T. Brown, Varcoe
In: Kelly, Sier, Quaynor

Wills, Sier, Adams at the bounce of the ball. Yeah Wills is not a great kick but he fights in the contest and is physical, something a lot of our mids could use a lesson in. Treloar, Pendles, Phillips, Daicos are our outside runners and users so back in the three of Wills, Sier and Adams to get the clearance out to our better runners and users.

De Goey, Elliot, Stevo, Mihocek, Hoskin-Elliot should be able to combine for at least 10 goals. So play them there and let them do their role. Kelly can come in and play as the key target down there, he won’t be worse than Cox.

Quanyor for Varcoe
Sier for Wills
Would like to see Murphy or Keane

Both Wills & Sier have been at the club long enough for us all to know they are depth at best.
Sier for Wills is a sideways selection & not much else. They are VFL standard midfielders. Both of them.
I’d rather try Rantall & see what he can do.
Not sure why Noble was dropped for Varcoe but I’d reverse that selection straight away.
Maybe play Varcoe on the wing instead?
Cox must not be in the 22 this week. Cameron or Kelly to replace him.
Tyler Brown must make way as well.
Didn’t get enough of the footy at VFL level & gets even less of it at senior level.

The hawks have our measure & have had for years under Buckley.

Hawks by 20-30 points.
Then we have to try and beat the cats in Perth. Ouch.

Tough times ahead.

Season over for mine, and so is the window. Don't see the point of minor changes, just play all the kids, see what they can do and cop the hammerings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it's evident we play poor performing teams into form.

We play our bogey side (one of, soon it'll be the whole competition coz that's how sh1t we are) next week, so who is going to come out against them and would it matter? We are system based team, so unless the planets align we're everyone's whipping boy.

We're just not that good, as evident by being exposed as pretenders by a middling team - unless we're 'on'. The system is great but difficult to execute week in week.

Basically everything has to fall into place if we're to win it, we ain't winning it this year or anytime soon - we'll stick to our usual 20 to 30 year droughts.

So I don't see the point in any changes or changing the whole team, there'll be no joy. Just a chance to vent for us p155ed off fans, and that's all it is.

That is the point of playing him. To fast track his development against top quality AFL defenders. We are not going to learn anything if we continually play Cox. We might find out Kelly is a long term AFL KP forward if we play him.

There's such thing as too early, wrong game, etc.

Jack Watts' debut has changed my view on this forever 😂

So it's evident we play poor performing teams into form.

We play our bogey side (one of, soon it'll be the whole competition coz that's how sh1t we are) next week, so who is going to come out against them and would it matter? We are system based team, so unless the planets align we're everyone's whipping boy.

We're just not that good, as evident by being exposed as pretenders by a middling team - unless we're 'on'. The system is great but difficult to execute week in week.

Basically everything has to fall into place if we're to win it, we ain't winning it this year or anytime soon - we'll stick to our usual 20 to 30 year droughts.

So I don't see the point in any changes or changing the whole team, there'll be no joy. Just a chance to vent for us p155ed off fans, and that's all it is.

You are an embarrassing supporter. Seasons over? Stop posting and stop watching then.

What a great supporter you are. It’s round 5, room for improvement but other than Port nobody is playing well.

Ok, so I'm f*n p155ed, that doesn't change the fact we're not that good, we aint flag material. Everything has to align perfectly for us to win it, not needed for the other non pretenders.

Maybe you should look at teams besides port, gc and bris are playing great footy. Saints too, play them last night we lose by 10 goals.

I wouldn't make too many changes, despite our horrid performance. We're simply not a good wet weather side, and we won't be able to work on that until we play in another wet game.

Despite having a few regular passengers (T Brown for example), we've got quite a few players playing below par; Elliott, DeGoey and Crisp especially. Could probably add Phillips to this list despite the positional change.

I would be more worried if these types of players had recently had a flash in the pan season but I think they've shown enough consistency over various years to say they're just in a form slump.

Lucky for us we're only 2-1-2, an even ledger with a percentage of 133.5. That said, this game is massive ahead of playing Geelong and WCE in Perth. A must win.

Ok, so I'm f*n p155ed, that doesn't change the fact we're not that good, we aint flag material. Everything has to align perfectly for us to win it, not needed for the other non pretenders.

Maybe you should look at teams besides port, gc and bris are playing great footy. Saints too, play them last night we lose by 10 goals.

We flogged saints the week before? Bris and Gold Coast? Have they left Queensland yet? Stop posting. nobody cares about your defeatist attitude

I'll post as much as I want, and vent as much as I want, the rules say so. Up to you if you wanna read them.

Was the season ever on? Or was it just false hope like every other year?

All good I’ll block you, your attitude is beyond a joke. Actually embarrassing after one bad game.

We flogged saints the week before? Bris and Gold Coast? Have they left Queensland yet? Stop posting. nobody cares about your defeatist attitude

Couldn't care less if you care or not, I'm gonna keep posting. My posting will make zero difference to how the team performs, nor will your blinded optimism.

Saints? Convince me we would've beaten em last night, don't think so.

Block or don't, couldn't care less. One bad? lol. We haven't played a 4 qtr game since last year! Even then they were rare. You're kidding yourself.

Did we even play 4 qtrs in any game last year?

Guess maybe was the 2nd Rounds game vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back