Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 6 vs. Hawthorn - Giants Stadium (NSW), 7:50pm Fri 10/07

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS smashing hawks so based on BF posters I guess hawks season is over 🤣.
This is a false equivalence. Some posters think the club being in strife off the field could create a negative effect with the on-field performance.

When your vice-captain is caught doing an interpretive dance with his underpants on his head or whatever it was at 7.30am in the middle of a street, when your president is pantsed twice in the one week by Matthew Lloyd(!), when an up and coming star has been charged with indecent/sexual assault, when arguably your best backman has gone down for the year and when there’s charges of racism labelled at the club, I think you could understand why this might be the case.

I hope it isn't but they're not robots.

This is a false equivalence. Some posters think the club being in strife off the field could create a negative effect with the on-field performance.

When your vice-captain is caught doing an interpretive dance with his underpants on his head or whatever it was at 7.30am in the middle of a street, when your president is pantsed twice in the one week by Matthew Lloyd(!), when an up and coming star has been charged with indecent/sexual assault, when arguably your best backman has gone down for the year and when there’s charges of racism labelled at the club, I think you could understand why this might be the case.

The stars are aligning for GWS that’s for sure. Richmond injury worries heading into the Hub, WCE look at bit off. The pies are a bit off.

GWS & Bris can’t believe their luck. Lots still to play out though.

The stars are aligning for GWS that’s for sure. Richmond injury worries heading into the Hub, WCE look at bit off. The pies are a bit off.

GWS & Bris can’t believe their luck. Lots still to play out though.
Agreed. But you wouldn't begrudge any of our players for asking, "WTF?".

Nah mate immediately after our loss to Essendon half this forum said the year was done which was my point despite us being 2 pts off 3rd and round 5. Its a long season and I’m looking forward to us bouncing back against hawks this week.(I’m also jealous of the GWS forward line) albeit gifted to them by the AFL!

Brisbane have some serious talent, but haven’t left Queensland yet so will see!

Last edited:
Nah mate immediately after our loss to Essendon half this forum said the year was done which was my point despite us being 2 pts off 3rd and round 5. Its a long season and I’m looking forward to us bouncing back against hawks this week.(I’m also jealous of the GWS forward line) albeit gifted to them by the AFL!

Brisbane have some serious talent, but haven’t left Queensland yet so will see!
You’re a half glass full man. Good for you! I now understand that you were only addressing those BF contributors who posted immediately after the Essendon loss and who made zero reference to our off-field problems.

Seen a couple of articles already about our fortnight from hell. Couple that with a trip away and we might actually see a good response by the boys.

On the negative side, the Hawks responded very well after their Geelong loss...

My issue is regardless of personnel we have been Hawthorns bitches for the best part of 10 years. Would be as good a time as any to break that pattern on Thursday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some interesting selection dilemma’s ahead this week. I assume Sidey, JDG and Howe will be the only ones not on a plane to Sydney given everyone else is in full training. Reid may have missed it as well.

OUT: Varcoe. It was his 1st game back and he’s often a guy that takes games to find form, but he was way off. He was in the side as a small defender so that’s the position we need to fill. Options as I see it are Noble, IQ, and Appleby. Without seeing player review from the scratch match, I’d opt for IQ. I’m not sold on him in defense but it should be his turn.

OUT: JDG. COVID protocols mean he won’t make the trip to Sydney. I see him more in the side for his 3rd tall forward than his midfield work so that’s the role I think we need to fill. Options are Kelly, Wilson, and from left field Murphy. Wilson and Murphy offer more midfield flexibility but for me Kelly’s improving returns forward earn him the shot.

OUT: Wills. Was poor against the Bombers in conditions that should have been right up his alley. With 42% game time you have to worry/wonder if there was something more to it. Options are either Sier or Randall. I’d give it to which ever of the 2 had the better game Friday but lean toward Sier given we don’t often gamble on 2 debutants in a game.

Don’t think there’ll be more than 3 changes but Phillips is next cab on the block if there is.

Langers may be the fuzzy feel good hug thing we all need at the moment. Being an ex Ararat boy I feel so sad for all you people in Victoria STAY SAFE please at least I will get to watch the Pies in Sydney

Ahhh good to see an ex Ararat boy on here, when did ya move on from the The Rat?

I too moved onto greener pastures, over in WA now 👍🏻

I wonder if we can play Cameron, Kelly and Mihocek in the same forward line. Cameron at half-forward and moving up the ground (yes atm he's not a huge upgrade on Cox, but he's prepared to compete, split the pack and attempt to get his hands on it), Mihocek as the third tall and Kelly at Full Forward with Varoce at his feet and Stephenson and Eliot around him.

I'd go:
Out: Cox, De Goey, Wills, Hoskin-Elliot
In: Cameron, Kelly, Sier, Quaynor/Noble

Crisp, Roughead, Scharenberg
Maynard, Moore Quaynor/Noble

Grundy, Treloar, Adams
Daicos, Pendlebury, Phillips

Stephenson, Cameron, Mihocek,
Varcoe, Kelly, Elliot

T. Brown, C. Brown, Mayne, Sier

De Goey and Steele to replace the Brown brothers over the next couple of weeks, also hopeful on Langdon returning at some point soon?

Kelly won't make a difference with the way we are moving the ball at the moment. In reality, you'd probably make a minimal amount of changes to try and allow the group to build some cohesion which seems to be lacking at the moment.
If he presents and gives the ball carrier an option he will

Not sure why T Brown is in the gun so much. Yeah he only got 9 disposals but WHE only had 13. Brown is young and will improve, the one thing he never did was shy away from the contest few times he had to wear a hit to get the ball and he did. There were a few times WHE could of body lined the ball and didn’t.

I wonder if we can play Cameron, Kelly and Mihocek in the same forward line.
I am a firm believer that as a coach, you need to put your best players in a position to succeed. There is little to be gained by having a structure entrenched in your mind, which you strive to adhere to, if it makes you more similar to 17 other teams and keeps your most talented players in situations where they are less dangerous.

I guess what I’m saying is, make the structure fit the players you have, not the other way around, and if you don’t like the structure that limits you to, address that at the trade table or (less ideally) the draft.

I would rather go with Cox/Kelly/Cameron taking one position, Mihocek as the 2nd “tall” forward, and Stephenson, WHE, De Goey and Elliott as my starting 6 than any combination which removes a talented small/medium for a vastly less talented tall.

Kelly is unlikely to just walk into that role, but the way our season is looking, I’m all for replacing Cox with Cameron based on current output and see how he develops, or Cox with Kelly and get games into him with a view to 2021.

There's obviously a lot going on at the moment, but I think we need to address the biggest concerns right now.

1. We clearly cannot play wet weather football. We have played in 3 wet (or frosty) games for 2 losses and a draw. When conditions are good, we have won both games comfortably. We are a high possession team, that clearly cannot adjust for conditions. If finals are in October, we should get some nicer weather...but for now we need to be able to adapt our game-style for all conditions if we want to get to the finals.

2. We have not worked out what to do with Elliott, De Goey, Stephenson and WHE. All 4 want to play from the goal-square. Stephenson has the role right now and is the only one hitting the scoreboard, but his impact on games seems to fluctuate depending on how the side is going. When we are up and running, he gets involved. When we aren't playing well, he goes quiet. Clearly, the experiment with using De Goey and Elliott rotating through the middle isn't working. Both want to be forwards. WHE just looks completely lost. He probably played his best footy in patches last week off half back or up on a wing. I'd be considering using De Goey as our CHF and Stephenson as our FF. Elliott needs to learn to play more of a small forward pocket role. He isn't a mid.

3. Passengers. There are some good players getting games at the moment purely based on their name and credits in the bank. We aren't getting anything out of Elliott, WHE, Phillips, Tyler or Cal Brown, Cox and Wills. Mihocek has also been very quiet apart from a few patches where he gets involved.

I'd definitely be making some changes this week.

I'd love to see Sier get a crack in the place of Wills. Rupert has been very quiet for 3 weeks now. He was ok against St.Kilda and had an impact, but went missing over the following 2 games.

I think having De Goey out is a huge loss, but at least lessens the competition for the forward roles. Perhaps it will give Elliott an opportunity to work with Stephenson to consolidate those roles. I'd actually be looking at bringing in Rantall for debut as a more pure mid. Perhaps a bit of youth will add some spark.

I also think dropping Noble for Varcoe was a mistake. I thought Noble was going ok.

Finally, I'd strongly consider dropping WHE for Broomhead. Again, WHE has no real role in the side at the moment. At least Broomhead can play as a more traditional crumber.

I am giving Cox one last reprieve. He has had a very limited preparation, and has played in 2 wet weather games in the past 2 weeks which are not his ideal conditions. But he is on his last chance. After this, I'd be strongly considering Kelly or Reid in his place.

Could Callum Brown play as a tagger on Mitchell?

I think part-time tagger would be an interesting role for him. He’s quick over a short distance, welcomes contact, but fades in and out of games. Around a stoppage in our forward line his opponent would have to respect him, because he has great hands in close and is very evasive, and can score easily from a snap shot as he’s lightning getting the ball to boot.

As our midfield is so disjointed anyway, and if ever we’re likely to need a tagger it would be this week (or against Neale from Brisbane?), I wouldn’t be averse at all to trying it out.

I am a firm believer that as a coach, you need to put your best players in a position to succeed. There is little to be gained by having a structure entrenched in your mind, which you strive to adhere to, if it makes you more similar to 17 other teams and keeps your most talented players in situations where they are less dangerous.

I guess what I’m saying is, make the structure fit the players you have, not the other way around, and if you don’t like the structure that limits you to, address that at the trade table or (less ideally) the draft.

I would rather go with Cox/Kelly/Cameron taking one position, Mihocek as the 2nd “tall” forward, and Stephenson, WHE, De Goey and Elliott as my starting 6 than any combination which removes a talented small/medium for a vastly less talented tall.

Kelly is unlikely to just walk into that role, but the way our season is looking, I’m all for replacing Cox with Cameron based on current output and see how he develops, or Cox with Kelly and get games into him with a view to 2021.

The problem with that is that JDG, Elliot, Hoskin-Elliot aren't being played enough in the forward line to make it work. WHE is out on a wing and even as far up as HBF, while JDG and Elliot are spending more time in the center square than the goal square. We are seeing guys like Phillips and the Brown's playing more inside 50 than some of our actual forwards.

I fully agree with you that our best forward set up is Cox/Cameron and Mihocek and then De Goey as our "pseudo-full forward" surrounded by Elliot, Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliot. The only missing link in that structure is a genuine crumbing/pressure forward and I think Varcoe is our best option for that but he's now being played of half-back. If the coaching panel are going to continue to move our forward pieces around the ground then we need to look at a new forward structure because the current one is not working.

Not sure why T Brown is in the gun so much. Yeah he only got 9 disposals but WHE only had 13. Brown is young and will improve, the one thing he never did was shy away from the contest few times he had to wear a hit to get the ball and he did. There were a few times WHE could of body lined the ball and didn’t.

I actually thought Tyler Brown started very well, was in everything early, then faded, but there is 1 thing you know you'll get from the Brown boys it's 100% commitment at the footy. It's in their DNA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back