Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 6 vs. Hawthorn - Giants Stadium (NSW), 7:50pm Fri 10/07

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was wise to bring in a crumber. I was surprised it was Atu over Thomas/Broomhead. I hope this isn't a Yagmoor moment at selection because it's awful early for Atu.
I did have that thought, but maybe he gets a bit of a leg up because of the sheer number of games we’re going to have to compress into the next 5-6 weeks. We’ll need to access our depth at some point.

I think it was wise to bring in a crumber. I was surprised it was Atu over Thomas/Broomhead. I hope this isn't a Yagmoor moment at selection because it's awful early for Atu.

Thomas was doing nothing when he got dropped, not sure how broomhead has been but save from injuries he’s never really taken his chances. with daicos out I guess Atu was next in line. Exciting to see what he can do

I think this is a very poor by the selection committee. They’ve made an example of a kid (Brown) when there was by bucks’ admission 12 or more players that were not contributing as well as they should have been...some not at all and for two or three rounds. You want to put everyone on notice you drop senior players Cox, Wills, WHE, Phillips, Elliot...have all been horrendous over multiple rounds.

There are some injuries that we need to manage too...

I imagine De Goey will come in for Cox next week, unless Kelly goes really badly, or injuries of course.

Wills would be feeling pretty nervous as Sier is surely due soon, so now it’s up to Rupert to perform and demand a spot.

At least they’ve seen that playing three talls means they need to have small and fast forward pressure so Atu and Varcoe forward makes sense. Happy to at least give it a go, nice to that they’re at least prepared to trial something new

I imagine De Goey will come in for Cox next week, unless Kelly goes really badly, or injuries of course.

Wills would be feeling pretty nervous as Sier is surely due soon, so now it’s up to Rupert to perform and demand a spot.

At least they’ve seen that playing three talls means they need to have small and fast forward pressure so Atu and Varcoe forward makes sense. Happy to at least give it a go, nice to that they’re at least prepared to trial something new
Not sure about Sier, I noticed he wasn’t mentioned in the post scratch match review

I think this is a very poor by the selection committee. They’ve made an example of a kid (Brown) when there was by bucks’ admission 12 or more players that were not contributing as well as they should have been...some not at all and for two or three rounds. You want to put everyone on notice you drop senior players Cox, Wills, WHE, Phillips, Elliot...have all been horrendous over multiple rounds.

There are some injuries that we need to manage too...

We’ve bought in 3 kids (2 on debut) have to keep some experience even if they’ve been out of form. Brown hasn’t been lighting it up so have no issues him being the out.

Varcoe and Cox are lucky to still be in the team. Though, Varcoe did look better once he played up forward in the last quarter against Essendon.

A real shame to hear Daicos suffered an ankle injury. He's been one of the limelights of the year, so I hope this injury doesn't keep him out for too long.

Nice to see some debutants in the team. I wish them well.

Not sure about Sier, I noticed he wasn’t mentioned in the post scratch match review
I’d heard through a few avenues that he’d been pretty solid the last few weeks. Wills will need to perform as there’d be a chasing pack forming for a spot in our midfield.

Lions finally leave Queensland and getting flogged (not even playing cats at home) . Seasons wide open, premiership favourites change week to week 🤣

Lot of negativity in here. Howe, degoey, Sidey and daicos out changes had to be made. Kelly and quaynor deserve a run and atu is a forced change given daicos injury. Thomas had done nothing so his selection is clearly deserved if the Match committee think so, I dare say they’ve seen more of him than any of us.

Are we full Strength no, but I’m excited to see the kids get a run. Hawks are playing two on debut as well

Yeah i dont understand the negativity either. We're forced to go without at least 4 of our best 22, we were never going to field a strong lineup. But neither have the Hawks.

Complaints that we are "top heavy" or that we've "failed at the selection table" seem a bit ridiculous to me at this stage. We're giving something a try while we've got our backs to the wall and the opportunity to do so. Well done to Bucks for thinking outside our usual box and giving a couple of young blokes a go.

Im excited to see what we bring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol@Wills to "perform"....perform what? Some tackling? A block or two? He doesn't know how to do much else.

It's very surprising, but one thing i've seen from Atu is his willingness to tackle and he can stick them despite his size. The ball was pinging out of backline pretty easily last week so if he can repel some it'd be great. I think that'll be his instructions from the coaches, and if he can jag himself a goal it'll be a nice bonus.

Do you somehow disagree with me that two Geelong injuries and a potential suspension isn’t a good thing for Collingwood next week?

Yes, when the chips are down our opponents always performs better against. The same doesn't seem to galvanise us - if any other team lost a Sidebottom last week in such circumstances and played against us they would have almost certainly beaten us.

Not really as weird if you hear about his performances in the scratch matches. According to the club, his forward half pressure has been very good, and he has being hitting the scoreboard. Two things we have lacked from our small forwards, in the the past fortnight.

Hey if he is doing those 2 things I'm all for him, didn't know Daicos was injured.

Have you watched the clip of Atu telling his mum about the debut? His mum says that he was an emergency originally. I guess they were waiting to see if Daicos was able to get up.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, the medicos probably decided not to risk it given they head to perth next, and there is a possibility of cramming more games in. So if they thought there was a chance for Daicos, then it doesn't appear his sprained ankle is too serious then.

At this stage I don't care if we win or lose, I just want to see a forward line and some forward pressure. If I see another predominantly defensive performance and an empty forward line for the majority of the match, I'm gonna lose it.

Having an extra tall should help Cox, let's see what he can do, probably his last chance to show something.

Happy to give Atu and Will a go, especially with so many other players in the forward half showing absolutely nothing.

Pies by 16 :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back