Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 7 vs. Geelong - Optus Stadium (WA), 8:10pm Thur 16/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah good point. I'd counter that by saying a lot of the bigger players they play on aren't exactly quick themselves though. Guess it depends on each individual player and their differing attributes.

As a footballer, he is not short, not really tall to take on a true KPP, he could take a 2nd tall on weak team, 3rd tall on a strong team, that could be a Gunston who would prove too elusive, he's not weak, but he's not the strongest. He can be prone to over analyse situations and not play with gut instinct, he will lose most foot races, even against some bigger blokes, big frame lot of weight to carry, not great endurance as a result. Speaking from experience. He is pigeon holef as a defender. Although definitely overall a very solid contributor, his only way to truly stand out is through his disposal with well weighted, directed kicks setting players loose further up the field when he gets an opportunity he has to take responsibility and pinpoint a moving target running forward. To cement his place week in week out and play to his strengths. It's fine being adequate in all areas but needs to work on his standout feature, field kicking. He wants to keep the ball moving that's fine that's modern footy but sometimes he should go back 10 metres from the mark, hold up play and be inventive or do something similar, buy some time and space with his composure.

Last edited:
Reminds me of Dusty, no-one has found a counter to the stiff arm. I would hang back just out of arm's reach, no purchase then go the hips like a wrecking ball it would come loose the old don't argue is just so effective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox gets another life, same with Brown. I think we are going in too small

Lucky we didn’t drop Cox then!
I either don't rate Shaz as highly as you or I rate Mayne higher. I'm pretty confident if it came down to a choice between the two, the coaches will choose Mayne. He'll be more clumsy, but there are things Mayne will do better.

It won’t come down to a choice between the two whilst we are missing Howe and Langdon. Shaz is the better defender than Mayne though, whilst Mayne can play anywhere.

It would be a mistake to drop Shaz. He has done very little wrong. His hands are clean, which is important in the wet. Our tall small balance would also be out. It also sends him the wrong message when his form has been good.
As previously stated Scharenberg is injured - bruised ribs. Very debilitating.

It won’t come down to a choice between the two whilst we are missing Howe and Langdon. Shaz is the better defender than Mayne though, whilst Mayne can play anywhere.
There's a fair queue for our flanks and wings: Crisp, Maynard, Quaynor, Varcoe, Daicos, Phillips, WHE, Stepho, Elliott, JDG, Sidebottom already in the team who offer more offensively than Mayne. I can see them pushing Mayne out of a wing/flank. In which case it would come down to a choice between Shaz and Mayne for that role.

As previously stated Scharenberg is injured - bruised ribs. Very debilitating.

Yeah mate I know. It was in the context of the discussion re: the kicking skills of Shaz vs Mayne. Some see them as on par, I reckon Shaz has him comfortably covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back