Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 9 vs. FREM - Optus Stadium, Sun 02/08 @ 6:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I challenge any one of you to name a wing pairing in the competition, or for that matter the entire history of AFL football, that is slower and less impactful that our combo of Phillips and Mayne.

To my thinking, wings are supposed to be slick, skilful players capable of breaking away and hitting key forwards with great passes and/or kicking long-range goals on the run. Phillips and Mayne could hardly be further away from that definition. Robert Flower they ain’t!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Its not 1975 any more.

After that pathetic non performance against West Coast after quarter time a number of players can consider themselves very fortunate to still be in the side.

Injury surely only saved Brown the indignity of being dropped.

He's been running around like a headless chook for weeks, fumbling and getting tackled trying to do to much. Needed a spell.

I would have dropped Phillips and replaced him with Murphy if he's going to be continually played in this quasi wing/forward role.

Rounds 4 to 8 last year he was averaging around 30 disposals. In 2018 he was even better averaging 25 disposals across the season.

This year he's down to 15 and given his generally average disposal he needs to be getting big numbers in order to provide any hurt factor to the opposition. His output has gone backwards and if it remains at this level I'd rather 15 from the likes of Murphy personally.

Thomas 1 tackle last week. No score. Need I say more. With his new role up forward I would have given Appleby a chance in place of Thomas with the main hope being he could provide some defensive heat we desperately need because our forwards aren't getting the job done. Bigger than Thomas, just as quick, a defenders mindset and should be desperate to revive his career after 2 years of injury woes.

For the love of God Bucks please use Stephenson as our full forward this week as it's the only position he's likely to be influential in. If he's only going to be getting 10 touches I'd rather they all be in and around the 50m arc.

As I feared coming into the season Stephenson just doesn't look like the same confident, happy and energised young player we had prior to the betting scandal. When you add on his glandular fever and the COVID-19 disruptions then his development further afield needs to be put on hold until next year.

Like all forwards he loves kicking goals and giving him the best opportunity to do so is I feel the best chance we have of growing his confidence and getting the best out of him.

Young Daicos has taken a step forward this season overall but I hope he was embarrassed by his 7 disposal game last week, learns from it and responds.

Looked physically intimidated against West Coast IMO and that needs to be a one off.
Great post and totally agree on your point regarding Phillips, Murphy needs to come in, in place of him. I don't see any further development in Phillips, I'm keen to see him traded end of year for a pick or a young tall forward.

Phillips’ one elite quality is his endurance. He’s been brought back to the pack by the shorter games.
Agreed, so playing someone who can't use that endurance advantage and lacks leg speed, tends to panic and offers poor disposal is the wrong player to keep playing under current conditions. Try Murphy on the wing if they deem there are alternatives to use down back.

Scharenberg had to get dropped. You can't play like he did and keep your spot. With Roughead out too, Madgen was the best inclusion. He will help replace his leadership down back. Madgen is a great organiser of the defence in the VFL. Also a guy whose commitment you can't fault.
And most importantly he has a basketball background.

Why couldn't Murphy be a forward? Has he ever been tried?
I think he would be the perfect replacement for Mayne as the defensive winger, the same way Daicos replaced Phillips as the attacking wing, popping up for a goal every other game. Also think Noble is better suited for the wing , his slight build is a liability in sticking the tackle in defence.

How will the Docker's additions stack up against those of Collingwood?

Freo:
B.Cox, N.Fyfe, T.Colyer, C.Blakely, M.Crowden

Magpies:
M.Keane, S.Sidebottom, B.Sier, J.Madgen, T.Varcoe

I'd expect Fyfe, Sidebottom and Varcoe to be readymade, rested players keen to make an impact with Blakely wanting to make a point, but how about the others?

Which team's replacements will make a greater impact and which team will have greater potency in the forward line?

How will the Docker's additions stack up against those of Collingwood?

Freo:
B.Cox, N.Fyfe, T.Colyer, C.Blakely, M.Crowden

Magpies:
M.Keane, S.Sidebottom, B.Sier, J.Madgen, T.Varcoe

I'd expect Fyfe, Sidebottom and Varcoe to be readymade, rested players keen to make an impact with Blakely wanting to make a point, but how about the others?

Which team's replacements will make a greater impact and which team will have greater potency in the forward line?
Doesn’t matter, your mob will get smacked either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are Collingwood generally fading out after the first quarter? Is it a fitness issue or what? Trying to understand.

You could ask the coaches. Pretty sure they’re trying to find the answer. Doubt you’ll get it on here.

Pretty sure it doesn't work like that. We play other teams into form! No one ever plays us into form. It's a slow burn.
Nah, I’ve got a feeling in my bones about this one. 50+ point win coming up. Stevo to kick 5.

Why are Collingwood generally fading out after the first quarter? Is it a fitness issue or what? Trying to understand.

It's not fitness. I just think we struggle for consistency across four quarters, particularly offensively. We play defence first and our scoring dries up. Which usually means we don't score enough to really put the opposition away for the game, there's alway's a sniff.

I don't have access to the coaches. No opinion from your observations then?
I think whatever we are doing right in the first quarter is figured out by some of the opposition coaches and they basically shut it down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back