Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 9 vs. FREM - Optus Stadium, Sun 02/08 @ 6:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

After this evening's embarrassing loss to WCE, it feels as though we're right back to where we were after the GWS game. We're 4-1-3 and once again it feels as though we're only a mid-table side, despite some promising games this season thus far.

Well, this game is the end of our Perth stint. At least for now. Not sure on what to make of Sunday night footy, but it's about to get even weirder, so we'll take what we get!

It's no secret that the Dockers have been struggling this year. Despite having a good win against St Kilda and the fact they should've beaten Essendon earlier in the year, they're currently sitting 2-5 on the ladder. The Dockers are likely to go into this game on 2-6 after their game against Geelong tomorrow (Monday) night, keeping them entrenched within the bottom four.

The boys will be keen to get one over former defensive coach Justin Longmuir, whom seemingly left the club last year on very good terms. Longmuir may well know exactly how we play, or what we're trying to do, but one would hope that knowledge can only get you so far when restricted in the way of manpower.

This game will finally see the return of Sidebottom after his four-game COVID suspension, which is welcome news in light of some of the recent injuries we've had to key players.

LAST TIME THEY MET

Last year we went into the Round 11 encounter on 8-2, up against Fremantle who were mid table on 5-5. Given the ladder at the time, prior form and the fact that this game was at the MCG, this game seemed unlosable to some. The Dockers had shown in the pre-season competition that they could put the clamps on and restrict our ball movement, and this game was no different. The Dockers went on to win 11.13.79 to 11.9.75.

This game was made somewhat controversial by Michael Walters being given the all clear for a goal in the third quarter, despite Chris Mayne clearly touching the ball off his boot. The score review took a look at Sidebottom's attempt at touching the ball on the goal line rather than the kick itself. Nonetheless, it wasn't this decision (or lack thereof) which cost us, it was our own inability to hit the scoreboard and move the ball throughout the day.

Despite dominating the ruck, we were matched (and narrowly beaten) in the clearances, which was impacted by the absence of Taylor Adams.

Nat Fyfe and Brad Hill were two of Fremantle's best players in this game, with 32 and 29 touches respectively. Brad Hill seemingly had a paddock all day and also finished with two goals.

Aside from Pendlebury's 29 touches and 2 goals, Jordan DeGoey kicking 3 goals and Brodie Grundy's dominance over Rory Lobb (Darcy didn't play this game), we were short on top performers.

Fremantle had multiple other top contributors on the day including Reece Conca, Ed Langdon and Nathan Wilson.

We're fortunate that we won't have to worry about Hill this year following his departure to St Kilda, nor Ed Langdon (Melbourne). Nat Fyfe has been facing some injury troubles recently and could be at less than 100% this time around, if he plays.

MATCH UPS

Usually I'd try and pick a well-suited match up for all 6 or 7 of our defenders. Fremantle have some role-players like Schultz (14-15 games), Colyer and Banfield in their forward line, which I believe is their weakest part of the ground. The likes of Crisp, Noble, Scharenberg and/or Quaynor are seemingly well suited to handle this challenge.

Our biggest concerns are Rory Lobb, Matt Tabener and Michael Walters. Rory Lobb is obviously quite tall and decent overhead and quite often uses his contested marking ability to kick a goal or two against us. We will require Moore (or even Roughead) to be on their game for this match up.

Moore vs. Rory Lobb
Roughead vs. Matt Tabener
Maynard vs. Michael Walters

CHANGES

I don't think we need to make too many drastic changes yet, or have to consider resting anyone, particularly after the ten-day lead in to the WCE game.

Varcoe wasn't featuring in many BigFooty poster's "Best 22" posts earlier this year, and his game against Hawthorn probably reaffirmed that. Just a week later he bounced back with a strong performance against his former side in Geelong. Varcoe would've kept his spot in the side if it wasn't for a rib injury keeping him out against the Eagles. Does he automatically come back in?

Sidebottom returns.

IN: Varcoe, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Sier
OUT: Bosenavulagi, Thomas, Brown, Wills

TIP

Fremantle restricted our ball movement last season and were on the right side of momentum at the end of the day. However, coupling the absence of Brad Hill and co. and their recent form, I would be surprised (and very disappointed!) if we don't get the job done on Saturday.

Collingwood by 1.

Disappointed in my OP. Should've known JT would get more than one chance.

How could anyone complain about Scharenberg being dropped?

im also not sure why posters Pile on Madgen?

I’m pretty happy with the changes.
I think most can't get the game where Franklin made madgen look pedestrian out of their minds..I know I've been guilty of this..but he did look alot better last couple times we've seen him

Thank God roughead out ....howe made him look good

Thank God scharenberg is out never again

Wish Thomas made way for broomhead

Atu never again ...he will not make it
Agree with Thomas, but it’s too early yet on atu

keanes debut, Madgen and siers first games in a while (sier especially) so let’s not expect the world first game back, just hopefully a win!

I think we are running with 1 defender too many.

Maynard, Moore, Crisp, Noble,Quaynor, Keane, Madgen, Varcoe & Mayne might spend some minutes there too.

9 defenders including Mayne who’s usually the 7th defender.

Guess we’ll be rotating Daicos, Mayne & Phillips on the wing.

Hopefully this means Stephenson will play deep tomorrow. None of this wing business.

If you look at our bench, we don’t have a 7th forward, so I expect Treloar, Sidebottom and Adams to rotate forward.

Last edited:
I think we are running with 1 defender too many.

Maynard, Moore, Crisp, Noble,Quaynor, Keane, Madgen, Varcoe & Mayne might spend some minutes there too.

8 defenders excluding Mayne who’s usually the 7th defender.

Guess we’ll be rotating Daicos, Mayne & Phillips on the wing.

Hopefully this means Stephenson will play deep tomorrow. None of this wing business.

If you look at our bench, we don’t have a 7th forward, so I expect Treloar, Sidebottom and Adams to rotate forward.

varcoe will play forward

The Fyfe match up is a worry if he plays mostly forward. Maybe Crisp takes him wherever he plays

Thank God roughead out ....howe made him look good

Thank God scharenberg is out never again

Wish Thomas made way for broomhead

Atu never again ...he will not make it
Atu was ok first game, the whole team was off last week. We all need to remember these guys aren’t getting proper games in each week and he was dragged in at the last minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scharenberg had to get dropped. You can't play like he did and keep your spot. With Roughead out too, Madgen was the best inclusion. He will help replace his leadership down back. Madgen is a great organiser of the defence in the VFL. Also a guy whose commitment you can't fault.

Magden is footy smart but that’s about it. Maybe a wise inclusion given that Roughead is out... but scharenberg has been on the list longer so is well aware of the defensive set up too. And scharenberg is overall the superior footballer... irrespective of a bad game last week

Madgen and Keane have played a lot of footy together in the twos, which should help both settle into the seniors.

Scharenberg a little unlucky, but injuries have left him a bit in between too slow for smaller players and too short for the taller ones. Roughead replacing Dunn also hasn't helped as both Roughead and Scharenberg lack a yard whereas Dunn was considerably quicker.

Don't get the animosity towards Madgen at all, he's not flashy but he's reliable and can fill a variety of different roles. I'm still convinced he'll end up being our go to defensive shutdown/run with player. He filled that role at times against the Dogs and the Saints and I couldn't really fault him. He is quite tidy by foot and hand too. He really doesn't do a lot wrong but gets judged really harshly because he looks like a potato. Anything is better than seeing Rupert Wills slothing around the ground again, not sure I could've suffered through another game of that

Atleast defensively we have options. It’s our forward mix that’s concerning.

rhat said premierships are won in September/oct so get it right by then

Not sure why there’s such angst over Madgen. Are people still judging him from when he was thrown in to the deep end in 2018 when we had no KPD? He’s quite serviceable as a 3rd tall, he really didn’t do much wrong early this year. I would have liked to see Murphy get a shot, but he’s not a bad selection with Howe missing.

keanes debut, Madgen and siers first games in a while (sier especially) so let’s not expect the world first game back, just hopefully a win!
If we cant win our next 4 games including tomorrow, we don't deserve to be there at the business end of the season. These upcoming teams are putrid!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back