Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - SF1 vs. Geelong - Gabba, Saturday 10/10 @ 7:40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

No real surprise we've gone in unchanged given the potential in's all had some genuine queries over their form themselves.

Thomas still needs to pull his finger out as zero tackles from a small forward not delivering on the scoreboard isn't good enough.

Looking at the list of emergencies we have 3 kids and 1 soon to be retired player listed.

I read that as we won't be pulling any late changes unless forced or are prepared to cop a fine and bring in someone not listed.

He did have tackles. I know he wasn't credited with any, but that does happen.

Have a look at the 5.21 mark of the first quarter and tell me what he is doing to Duggan. If it isn't a tackle then I don't know what a tackle is.

There was at least one other example of the same thing.

I can already hear Bruce gushing over how brave Selwood is. And Ablett saying he doesn't want to end it like this... the gushing for Ablett will also be unbearable.

Hopefully the boys get on the front foot early and it's all about us.
It won't matter if we win by 60 - according to bwuce and the other washed up footy panelists it will be all about gablett.

No Phillips?! Not even on the emergency list?! Unchanged???

7342de8773ddaceaf4de4d2b7f86cd85.gif

Changes since the last time we met....

Pies:
In: Cox; Thomas; Madgen; Greenwood; Cameron
Out: Phillips; Wills; C Brown; Varcoe; A2B2

Cats:
In: Henderson; Stewart; Stanley; Duncan
Out: Stevens; Clark; Fort; Ratugolea

Both sides stronger but Cats certainly have some strong gains.

Pies:

Cats:

Geelong also lost Selwood early in the 1st and de Goey with 5 goals was the difference in the end.

We'll need to be much better this time you think to win.

We just need to move the ball tomorrow and don't slow the play down to a contested game. The Cats struggle with quick movement, so if we can produce what we did against the Weagles, and get the ball in quick to JDG, Cox and Mihocek, the Cats will struggle. They struggle to match up on DeGoey and they struggle with the pace of Treloar in the midfield....

Pies:

Cats:

We have "huge" outs though.

It’s become quite apparent we lack depth and only bat to about 24 or so. Our depth players in that 25-30 area are either not quite there yet or past it.

Now that we have something approaching our best 22 with only Howe Sidebottom and (arguably) Phillips missing, we look a lot more formidable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bloody afl app came up with "Geelongs shock axe"...here I was thinking Geelong might be dropping a potential match winner. Nope, the least skilled player in the AFL.

I read something similar about two Richmond stars being dropped. Nope, two young kids made way for Broad and Lynch.

Pies:

Cats:

Three extra talls for us is a big difference. While two rucks has only been tried on a few occasions, two tall forwards and three tall backs has been common for us in 2020. Madgen allows Maynard or Crisp to play shorter, while Cox gives releases De Goey or Stephenson into another role or a modified role.

Phillips > Cox
Wills > Greenwood
C Brown > Cameron
Varcoe > Madgen
Atu > Thomas

He actually just retired last year, but he is 100% a knuckle-dragging ruck. 6'11" and 110kgs. Too bad he was terrible
I recall watching a VFL match at Vic park a few years back. This man mountain for Geelong has about 100 hit outs and just monstered everyone from end to end. Had no idea it was Simpson until late in the game. So maybe a bit ordinary at AFL level but he was a superstar that day at the next level down. Might’ve played against our own VFL Star Kyle Martin That day? Not sure if the timeframes match up now.
Anyhow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back