Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Adelaide (R22, Sat 17/08 4:35pm AO)

Remove this Banner Ad

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes lets take the boys to Adelaide oval (remember how great travelling to Perth went?) just so we can get some game time into their legs???
Its round 22...if they need miles in their legs now its too late!
Why risk an injury (plane flights and tall athletes don't often bode well) for nothing?
Get em right for when we need them, we'll only get one shot at it this year.
Adelaide is a 50 min trip.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes lets take the boys to Adelaide oval (remember how great travelling to Perth went?) just so we can get some game time into their legs???
Its round 22...if they need miles in their legs now its too late!
Why risk an injury (plane flights and tall athletes don't often bode well) for nothing?
Get em right for when we need them, we'll only get one shot at it this year.

Nah, play our best 22 when they are available.

Pretty sure the players travelling to Perth didnt get injured in the plane. It was the playing surface. Adelaide oval doesnt have any reputation for having a hard surface.

Last edited:

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Doesn’t matter who we play forward or back, Adelaide have only one weapon - their midfield.

If our midfield beats theirs, we win.

I hope they play Sam Jacobs this week. Grundy will monster him with his groundwork.

Brodie Smith is the type of player who would sneak up for a quick goal or two. Hopefully we keep an eye on this.

Actually think this is the perfect game for Rupert. The pace of the game will be on the slower side, and will suit him a lot more than the Melbourne game.

Also, if Noble is back in for Daicos, I’d send Mayne forward to play a defensive role on Laird.

Defence :

Schaz Madgen Maynard
Crisp Howe Greenwood

Noble

Last week, they’ll played Andy Otten in the ruck. Not sure if they’ll roll with this again, if they do. It’s a massive advantage for us.

If we want, we could just leave Wills in the ruck (same height as Otten) so that Roughead is always forward or we can use Roughead to dominate Otten when he’s in the ruck.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they played 2 rucks ( Jacobs & O’brien) just to stretch us with height in our defence.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Personally I don't consider Moore anymore nor do I hang any hopes on him.
He is exactly like Reid. He may come back, but for how long?
I actually would rather not see him in the team playing finals because there is always that very real possibility we will be a man down before too long.
Unfortunately his body isn't up to the rigors of AFL football.
We've seen it before. Players with incredible potential but sadly their bodies never allow that potential to come to the fore. It's unfortunate but it is what it is.
Hanging our hopes on the likes or Reid, Moore, Wells etc is a fools game. We are clutching at straws.

Maybe. There are also many examples of players with chronic injuries that have their bodies click and come good. Grimes at Richmond is an example, once riddled with injuries, has since been durable. I'm not sure we are currently in a position to turf such a talented key position player.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Maybe. There are also many examples of players with chronic injuries that have their bodies click and come good. Grimes at Richmond is an example, once riddled with injuries, has since been durable. I'm not sure we are currently in a position to turf such a talented key position player.

I'm no expert, but I reckon he is growing into his body a little bit. I think he was under 200cm when he came to the club, but had a growth spurt in his first few seasons and grew an extra few cms. The website has him at 203cm and I know he was 199cm when recruited. So that's a pretty big growth spurt for a guy that is only 23. 4cm is pretty big.

I think when he is about 25-26, he'll really hit his peak and should get some continuity into his body. Which is why they are probably so ultra conservative with him now.

I personally think he is going to be a champion. One of the most flexible and dominant big men in the game who will be able to play just about any role including ruck or even a wing. I think he'll settle as a forward because he is such a good mark and so quick. But he'll be able to swing back when the game demands it.

In relation to this year, ultimately all he'll need to do is get his body right for a few games in finals. Historically his body can at least cope with that. He tends to break down after a few games. The issue is we really need him now to pinch a top 4 spot. If we don't make top 4, it's hard to see us going too deep into September.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I reckon Shaz gets Fogarty because Fog doesn't have a big tank. May be a bit strong body to body, but at least won't do Shaz for endurance.

Howe probably gets Walker, and Magden gets Lynch.

Maynard on Betts and Greenwood on Smith (who has been playing forward).

I think we match up ok with their forwards. It's really a battle of 2 really talented midfields, who have both been terribly underperforming.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon Shaz gets Fogarty because Fog doesn't have a big tank. May be a bit strong body to body, but at least won't do Shaz for endurance.

Howe probably gets Walker, and Magden gets Lynch.

Maynard on Betts and Greenwood on Smith (who has been playing forward).

I think we match up ok with their forwards. It's really a battle of 2 really talented midfields, who have both been terribly underperforming.

Reckon midfield goals will play a big factor in this one. We probably have the wood on them here, Sidey Treloar and Phillps have all kicked multiple goals in multiple games before, and even the Skipper added two last week.

hellfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 21, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona
Reckon midfield goals will play a big factor in this one. We probably have the wood on them here, Sidey Treloar and Phillps have all kicked multiple goals in multiple games before, and even the Skipper added two last week.
The skipper has been in stellar goal kicking form the last month. I think he has taken it upon himself to hit the scoreboard instead of always trying to give it off.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
The skipper has been in stellar goal kicking form the last month. I think he has taken it upon himself to hit the scoreboard instead of always trying to give it off.

Has been awesome, hasn't it. If Pendles gets the ball in any sort of space from 50m or closer, write it in the book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Has been awesome, hasn't it. If Pendles gets the ball in any sort of space from 50m or closer, write it in the book.
You can have a like just because I love Scotty getting a stroke next to his name in the Footy Record.

* please whatever God is listening, can we win this one? I was sick and tired of lowering our colours (shades?) to the Crows from period 2014-2017, and I am still furious about THAT draw in 2017. To be up by eight and a half goals, and have a 20 point lead with ten minutes to play, just putrid.

We can still challenge for the flag, but lets use this exercise like we did the Suns game. Bond away from home, get a confidence boosting win against a dangerous opponent on their home deck, and instill some belief.

If we get tough wins, we have incredible amount of quality to come back. The upside is infinite come finals time. So please can the campaigners PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stand up?

Kthxbye :thumbsu:

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
First week of finals.
Do we actually know what is wrong with Moore? Is he going to be back in time for the finals or is this just guesswork or prediction based on hope? I seriously don't believe anyone has any realistic idea of his likely return date nor how long he will last before re-injuring himself. Remember last year he was training really well at finals time but was never given a game because of the likelihood he would break down and leave us one man down early in the game. I cannot see this year being any different other than the fact that we have much less chance of hanging in till the grand final and therefore have less to lose if he breaks down. In any case, he should be played just as a test of his resilience.

Do we actually know what is wrong with Moore? Is he going to be back in time for the finals or is this just guesswork or prediction based on hope? I seriously don't believe anyone has any realistic idea of his likely return date nor how long he will last before re-injuring himself. Remember last year he was training really well at finals time but was never given a game because of the likelihood he would break down and leave us one man down early in the game. I cannot see this year being any different other than the fact that we have much less chance of hanging in till the grand final and therefore have less to lose if he breaks down. In any case, he should be played just as a test of his resilience.
He apparently declared himself as unfit last year despite appearing to train well. I think he gets mental issues in regard to his hamstrings.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
I just know we'll win our final two games and so will Richmond and we'll finish 5th anyway ☹

They are no certainty this week against the Eagles.
No Cotchin, Dusty sore.

Massive game for us, difference between top 4 and 5th/6th is monumental.

Does anyone else find it strange that Adelaide are already talking trading players and picks, when they can still finish in the eight? I hope they dont, because it will mean we beat them on Saturday, but I'm surprised. Maybe its a media beatup, but it seems defeatist to me. We should take advantage of an attitude like that, and hammer them.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Does anyone else find it strange that Adelaide are already talking trading players and picks, when they can still finish in the eight? I hope they dont, because it will mean we beat them on Saturday, but I'm surprised. Maybe its a media beatup, but it seems defeatist to me. We should take advantage of an attitude like that, and hammer them.

Show no mercy!

Collingwood hammering teams?
tenor.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back