Preview Changes/pre-match discussion vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Age?

What about games played?

Garner could be considered old by Afl standards but has played SFA.

I only investigate matters that suit my agenda, as a true narcissist should.

I'm just ecstatic that we are going to again witness a forward line of:

Turner - Waite - Higgins
Garner - Brown - Wood

That is right up there with as good as we've seen in terms of pure talent.

Sure, it ain't:

Abraham - Carey - Grant
Harvey - McKernan - Sholl

But it's close.

I only investigate matters that suit my agenda, as a true narcissist should.

I'm just ecstatic that we are going to again witness a forward line of:

Turner - Waite - Higgins
Garner - Brown - Wood

That is right up there with as good as we've seen in terms of pure talent.

Sure, it ain't:

Abraham - Carey - Grant
Harvey - McKernan - Sholl

But it's close.
Higgins will play mid field with Hrovat taking the second small forward spot but that is a very good forward 6 we have right now.

Abject failure.

Could have easily given Hansen and Gibson a rest too.

We are still far too old for a rebuilding team. 4th oldest team last week.

The team isn't rebuilding and an "aggressive reset' is not a rebuild despite what people think it means.

If anything its the opposite of a rebuild. Its essentially the same team with the players who weren't up to it over this season and next season having been replaced. Most of those players were older experienced players but not all of them.

The only reason people think we are "rebuilding" is because "agressive reset" is too hard to look up on an online dictionary. Being two words instead of one I spose...:rolleyes::huh:

Some people thought the terms were interchangeable despite the fact that they mean two different things and a whole bunch of people took that as accurate. As a result they have different expectations to the club wrt whats happening this year.

The team isn't rebuilding and an "aggressive reset' is not a rebuild despite what people think it means.

If anything its the opposite of a rebuild. Its essentially the same team with the players who weren't up to it over this season and next season having been replaced. Most of those players were older experienced players but not all of them.

The only reason people think we are "rebuilding" is because "agressive reset" is too hard to look up on an online dictionary. Being two words instead of one I spose...:rolleyes::huh:

Some people thought the terms were interchangeable despite the fact that they mean two different things and a whole bunch of people took that as accurate. As a result they have different expectations to the club wrt whats happening this year.
Makes you wonder what the 3 options were that were put forward to the Board.

1. Eke out another year with the bulk of the 'Logan's Run' players.
2. Traditional 'rebuild', focusing on drafting and development and allowing ourselves to drop down to pick up higher picks?!
3. 'Aggressive reset', meaning radical pruning, keep the 'best of the rest' and 'aggressively' trade in (in both "Pick 105" terms and revisit (10 year rule) 1973 terms).

From same game last year:

Out: Harvey, Nahas, Dal Santo, Firitto, Petrie, Thomas, McKenzie, Ray
In: Higgins, Turner, Wood, Garner, Clarke, Williams, Hrovat, Vickers-Willis

Faster, younger and hungrier << *fingers crossed*

v Carlton = %

A 50pt win = 100%. The players mindset should be 'you're trailing by TWO goals at the start of every quarter'.. earn the win by playing your role each quarter. The rest will look after itself. To have the wrong mindset that the game will be a repeat of last year is not smart. I have faith in the players who know that losing any one quarter will be a slap in the face. North to win between 25-59 pts if the form lines mean anything.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder what the 3 options were that were put forward to the Board.

1. Eke out another year with the bulk of the 'Logan's Run' players.
2. Traditional 'rebuild', focusing on drafting and development and allowing ourselves to drop down to pick up higher picks?!
3. 'Aggressive reset', meaning radical pruning, keep the 'best of the rest' and 'aggressively' trade in (in both "Pick 105" terms and revisit (10 year rule) 1973 terms).

I reckon it was something along the lines of "do nothing", sack everyone (who was sacked) but Boomer, sack everyone and Boomer.

They probably looked at some of the other players who stayed too.

Along with long detailed discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of the list and what we need to replace to be successful in the short term. (ie until 2018/19 - maybe 2021 at the latest.)

Personally I think the term "aggressive reset" only came out as part of the process of spinning Harvey's departure after the club had cashed in on him so aggressively. If he'd stayed I think the club would have said what happened was natural attrition and list turnover and not added anything else. They had to say something significant cos of the outcry over Boomer leaving. I have no inner scrote knowledge or anything but that's what it looks like to me (from outside the scrote.)

To me the terms reset and rebuild seem to refer to completely different concepts. One involves a little tweaking and a few improvements where necessary and the other is more of a new start, almost from scratch. The first has the implication of ongoing, immediate or near term chase for on field success. The other is a long term thing with success being measured in terms of development now and results in a few (3+) seasons time. Calling it "aggressive" means they ain't ******* about - and given who they say they are chasing ... aggressive is a great description.

To me it seems immediate or at least near term success is the club's main goal. And I think they'll be looking at the close losses this year as a setback, not a learning process, despite the bullshit they feed the AFL media. If you compare the sort of thing Scott says to the AFL public in general with what appears in the on the club website there is definitely a difference in "tone" imo. The stuff that goes to the general public seems to have a lower signal to noise ratio.:)

McDonald Dumont Clarke Atley is a bloody good bench for a team now missing 7 two hundred gamers from last year along with the players you mentioned and Wright injured.

Sure, we got some moneyball recruits but also have 2 million to spend and Ahern in a rehab year.

Swallow's papers are stamped.
$3m

Abject failure.

Playing a heap of kids like Carlton is a rubbish way to rebuild. GWS knew after a few years at it which is why they got the likes of Stevie J, Mummy, Shaw, Griffen and Patful.

Playing a heap of kids like Carlton is a rubbish way to rebuild. GWS knew after a few years at it which is why they got the likes of Stevie J, Mummy, Shaw, Griffen and Patful.

We would still have Thompson, Tarrant, Goldstein, Ziebell, Cunners, MacMillan, Higgins and Waite as senior players. Hardly a bunch of kids.

Dumont over Swallow is a good start, hopefully there's more to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends if you think we have replacements in the wings for Gibson, Swallow, Waite, Thompson and Goldstein.

Looks like we already have in some cases. And like EVW, some may get a solid grounding before getting their extended crack.

And based on our recent history, our free 2 million+ is being thrown at 26 and unders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back