Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Essendon (R23, Fri 23/08 7:50pm MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Moore passes his fitness test then it’s pretty simple.
In: Moore
Out: Madgen
Moore to play forward, Roughead back to defence. Madgen a little stiff as he’s been pretty decent for the past two weeks, but of our talls he’s still the weakest link. Developing nicely though.

If Wills ends up being out will you call yourself delusional?
He’s right though. Our midfield has looked way better with Wills and Adams combining on the inside to release to Pendles and Treloar. Even if JDG was fit to play, I think that they’d be putting him back in the forward line at the expense of one of Varcoe/Brown/Thomas. Given his recent soft tissue issues I think they’ll be reigning back the minutes he spends in the guts and leaving him forward most of the game when he returns.

Won't happen unless Doggies win and we win and remain 5th.
That’s the most likely scenario imo. We’ll finish 5th and play Essendon week 1 unless Brisbane can somehow topple Richmond at the G.

He’s right though. Our midfield has looked way better with Wills and Adams combining on the inside to release to Pendles and Treloar. Even if JDG was fit to play, I think that they’d be putting him back in the forward line at the expense of one of Varcoe/Brown/Thomas. Given his recent soft tissue issues I think they’ll be reigning back the minutes he spends in the guts and leaving him forward most of the game when he returns.
Thinking Wills may be out is not delusional in any form.
Wills would go out before those players imo and as I have already stated I agree he has helped the midfield a fair bit but Adams addition has also contributed to this.

I don't think we can afford to drop Wills. His grunt and aggression is needed in our midfield

As quoted earlier Wills is the number 1 pressure player in the AFL over the last month. So it’s a big call to drop him.

I think the decision will all revolve around opposition midfield composition and JDG.
How do we replace the grunt of Wills - it will be partially offset by JDG, but he will NOT be able to do the same minutes as Wills. So where do we find the additional grunt to cover the time JDG can’t do? Possible options:
- extra minutes for Adams, which I think is unlikely as he will be spent late in the game
- Any or all of Maynard, Crisp, Greenwood rotating through the middle. Of these Crisp and Maynard are around the same height and weight as Wills. And from memory both went through the midfield in WA when we beat WC.

As a minimum I’d expect that Wills will stand Dusty at stoppages if we play Rich - Dusty is Champ but being smashed at stoppage by a big body will curb his influence greatly. Cotchin and the other Rich midfield who are small will also feel the physical pressure.
The same goes for Danger, Selwood and Abblet at Geel.

With BNE not sure we need the same grunt and we may opt for speed.

Who goes out - Mayne probably, I only hesitate because he’s a very smart player and experience doesn’t grow on trees.

Last edited:
Wills stays at this stage - underrated cog and is playing the Sier 2018 role - don’t underestimate how important he is, releases Treloar and Pendlebury, and releases Sidebottom to a wing/flank (hands down our best link up player)

It might not read well on paper, but he is a starting mid, balance is key.

Completely agree

Three certain starters ...............De Goey Moore Stephenson

One doubtful.............Aish

The rest have next to no chance unless we have injuries or terrible form slumps

With Cox out, if Reid is available for selection, it'd be tempting for the match committee to use him forward with our first choice key defensive combo of Roughead and Moore down back. Premierships are built on defences.

Having said that I reckon we have looked really good with a smaller defence and smaller forward line. We look much more competitive at ground level. I reckon we're best off with Roughead back and Moore forward for structure.

But I don't think Reid is out of calculations just yet.

Curious to know who people think will play our fourth midfielder role if this is how it falls come finals time. It’s all well and good to say De Goey pushes Wills out but it still leaves an on-ball rotation we have to cover with one of the guys currently playing forward. It’d mean Brown, Thomas or De Goey have to play up to 70% midfield time.

Regarding next week, it’d be great to see Moore get a game under his belt before finals. He would displace Madgen who, realistically, isn’t good enough to match the quality key position players at the pointy end of the year despite creditable performances over the past fortnight

Hypothetically it would be a straight swap of De Goey for Wills, with De Goey on ball. That would leave the current structure but just different individuals.

Didn't know where to post this but did anyone see the AFL is gonna change the rule for studs up in the back when taking a mark after Jack did it twice. When Jeremy did that everyone was saying it's a free kick as it's the rule. Funny how Jack cracks the shits on the ground and they change it straight away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Cox out, if Reid is available for selection, it'd be tempting for the match committee to use him forward with our first choice key defensive combo of Roughead and Moore down back. Premierships are built on defences.

Having said that I reckon we have looked really good with a smaller defence and smaller forward line. We look much more competitive at ground level. I reckon we're best off with Roughead back and Moore forward for structure.

But I don't think Reid is out of calculations just yet.

I highly doubt that unless Moore or Roughead are injured AND Reid isn’t

Didn't know where to post this but did anyone see the AFL is gonna change the rule for studs up in the back when taking a mark after Jack did it twice. When Jeremy did that everyone was saying it's a free kick as it's the rule. Funny how Jack cracks the s**ts on the ground and they change it straight away.
The way Jack does it he basically tunnels the player, I'd be paying a free kick for that, the studs are incidental, does it really matter what part of your body you use to push someone in the back?

DeGoey hasn't had any match sim or body contact work in weeks. Won't play this week.
Moore looked ready last week but suspect was held back because of the road trip. Plays this week.
Aish may be right for the first final, but not this week.
In: Darcy Moore
Out: Jack Madgen
Moore plays back. Roughy stays forward.

Nah, Richmond needed the rain to beat West Coast.
Moore for Madgen the only change imo. Then Week 1 of finals: De Goey & Stevo for Wills and Noble. Both would be stiff to be dropped on form but it is what it is, no one else is coming out for those 2. Although I do like Noble off half-back, hes going to be a player
Apparently Wills is number one in AFL for pressure acts over the past month (mentioned on ‘On the Couch’ tonight).
He may have just played his way into best 22 calculations.
Others could be vulnerable (Thomas, WHE, Varcoe).
Performances v Essendon may determine our Finals 22.
I think Brown is safe at this stage.

Didn't know where to post this but did anyone see the AFL is gonna change the rule for studs up in the back when taking a mark after Jack did it twice. When Jeremy did that everyone was saying it's a free kick as it's the rule. Funny how Jack cracks the s**ts on the ground and they change it straight away.
I actually like the studs up rule as it ******* hurts being on the receiving end of it, isn't a great look either, let's hope the maggots are consistent which we all know is an impossibility.

Last time I remember playing under these circumstances we lost to Geelong in 2011 by about 100 points...
I know we didn't have anything to play for in that game, but did Geelong? From memory they didn't either, it was a true dead rubber, unlike this game in which we have a Top 4 spot on the line and must win.

After all this chat about whether Brisbane or Hawthorn can win, it'd be very Collingwood if we completely slip up and lose to the Bombers this Friday.

We’ve seen it all before!! Collingwood cannot take Essendon lightly and treat the game like a final. We have top 4 up for grabs if either Richmond or west Coast lose as we have a better percentage then both teams!! Essendon don’t will either finish 7th or 8th most likely!! If they win they will play gws who are horribly out of form and if they lose they will either player Collingwood (most likely) west Coast or Richmond

I dont believe we should drop Wills, he has been playing good in his natural role as an inside mid. Also I dont know if you guys noticed but I think he played a role on Matt Crouch on the weekend, not a hard tag but was certainly minding him at stoppages I believe, it must of worked to, he had ok numbers did Crouch but they were nothing disposals, well down on his normal output.

The studs issue is clouding what looks a clear push out with his foot. If you can rest your hands on an opponent's back to hold your ground but not push them out of the contest, why does that principle go out the window when it comes to feet doing the same thing?

In Wells , Moore

Out Varcoe , Madgen (maybe)

1st Final

In : DeGoey , Stephenson

Out : see how we are for injuries if all avalaibke from this weeks side

Thomas , Mayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back