Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Essendon (R23, Fri 23/08 7:50pm MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Dunstall and co. pointed out that our backline without Roughie down there could struggle against what West Coast and others will put up against us in the finals. The Crows were nothing but a group of witches hats today so it was great that we took full advantage of this.

Dunstall is an idiot.

I have no idea what we should do with DeGoey and Moore

Do we give them another week which results in 2 weeks rest?

Do we play them and hope they get through giving them a nice hit out before finals

It's a big risk either way as Stepho will be back that's 3 blokes to come in.

I have no idea what we should do with DeGoey and Moore

Do we give them another week which results in 2 weeks rest?

Do we play them and hope they get through giving them a nice hit out before finals

It's a big risk either way as Stepho will be back that's 3 blokes to come in.

You bring them straight in when the are ready.

Even without a ""hitout" they are an upgrade on Madgen Noble and Thomas/Varcoe.

Sounds like Moore is ready and thats great as it gives us a plan B with our second ruck.

Buckley already all but confirmed no De Goey

In: Moore
Out: Madgen

Releasing Stepho and DeGoey in the first week of finals is like having a cheat code.

We need to win. So I’d risk Moore.

We win, we finish 4th/5th.

We don’t want to finish 6th and verse the Bombers again.

Given how bad they are there’s an argument to say otherwise.

I have done a ladder predictor assuming we win but other game results go as predicted (ie Richmond win their last two etc) and we come fifth.

As far as I can work out the most likely combination where we finish fifth, puts Geelong first and Richmond fourth. If we win our EF we will have an MCG semi final against the loser of that game.....Great result to get two MCG finals first up. Likely if we make a PF from fifth it will be at Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? I would much prefer to play the bombers over Western Bulldogs.

The only way we play the Bombers is if we lose to the Bombers next week.

Under no scenario I want that. We need to beat the Bombers to keep the top four dream alive. And because its the Bombers. Why would you want to lose to them just so you can beat them the next week? Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Experience and history doesn't really compare with current form. His disposal is poor putting players under pressure by handballing to them whilst they are hotter than he is. His kick in the pocket and for goal in the last quarter were terrible. If that was a younger player some would be calling for him to be dropped.
You most likely are right in that he won't be dropped but should be and I would hate to see Brown dropped and he stays.

We have three (maybe 4 with Wells) coming in so three from today have to go out. I think he should be in the mix.

I agree that Mayne should be a likely out if all 3 of JDG, Stevo, and Moore will be ready to play at some point. I respect him because of the way he has done every job asked of him, but he does have obvious limitations. I'd play WHE in his position and bring in Stevo.

The other candidates would be Madge for Moore, Noble for Aish, Thomas for JDG.

This is just one way we could shuffle our cards but it would be a very strong side.

I agree that Mayne should be a likely out if all 3 of JDG, Stevo, and Moore will be ready to play at some point. I respect him because of the way he has done every job asked of him, but he does have obvious limitations. I'd play WHE in his position and bring in Stevo.

The other candidates would be Madge for Moore, Noble for Aish, Thomas for JDG.

This is just one way we could shuffle our cards but it would be a very strong side.

Moore - Madgen - easy choice. Moore to play back and leave Roughead forward
JDG - Noble - not like for like but easy to switch the mix around and send a mid back (Varcoe??)
Stephenson - one of Thomas Varcoe or Mayne. None of them really deserve to go out so will be a tough call.

Aish - sorry, no room at the inn. Will have to wait for a vacancy.

Well, this is it. After this evening's win against Adelaide, we need to beat Essendon to remain in the hunt for top 4. It's worth remembering that we actually had to beat Fremantle in Perth in the last round last year to finish top 4, which actually went right down to the wire! Obviously we still need Richmond to lose tomorrow against WCE and/or next week against Brisbane.

With no VFL this weekend it's hard to pick anyone on form that missed out on the Adelaide game. That said, you'd hope the following will be in contention, pending injury updates: Jordan DeGoey, Darcy Moore & Tyler Brown.

On form you could mount a case for T Brown but I can't see him debuting this late a fortnight out before finals, unless we can foresee a Jack Graham/Jaryd Blair type scenario on the horizon. Gut feel based on training reports (thanks Jen, Apples and others!) is that Moore will play and DeGoey will be out for another game.

Madgen wasn't too bad today but you'd have to say he's the first out in our backline.

Thus, selection as follows:

IN: Moore
OUT: Madgen

Roughead back. Moore forward.

A lot of pressure on spots this week with DeGoey and Stephenson hopefully both coming back for the first final. A good problem to have. I think Wills keeps his spot until DeGoey kicks him out. The other one under the most pressure with Stephenson coming back would have to be Josh Thomas, whom wasn't too bad today.
I think it’s a bit harsh on Madgen, he has been solid and he’s one of those mobile talls. With Cox out I would leave him in the side and bring Moore in and play him forward to partner mihocek.

Hard to find someone worth dropping when they perform this way.

I think it’s a bit harsh on Madgen, he has been solid and he’s one of those mobile talls. With Cox out I would leave him in the side and bring Moore in and play him forward to partner mihocek.

Hard to find someone worth dropping when they perform this way.

Nobody deserves to be dropped.

But Moore De Goey and Stephenson..............................

Moore - Madgen - easy choice. Moore to play back and leave Roughead forward
JDG - Noble - not like for like but easy to switch the mix around and send a mid back (Varcoe??)
Stephenson - one of Thomas Varcoe or Mayne. None of them really deserve to go out so will be a tough call.

Aish - sorry, no room at the inn. Will have to wait for a vacancy.

You're a bit harsh on Aish (imo) but we each value players differently. Aish has done a great job this year and makes our backline stronger, if he's fit he's in.

Varcoe's last few games have been his best for the year; he shouldn't be in the frame to be dropped. Until yesterday Thomas had 17 goals for the year; our threadbare cupboard is the reason he is still in the side.

Nobody deserves to be dropped.

But Moore De Goey and Stephenson..............................
I think Noble for Moore if he’s fit next week.

The others would be stiff. And especially if you want to also incorporate Aish and potentially Wells.

Wills is probably on the chopping block too, his disposal and speed are a concern.

Greenwood had an average game last night, but I feel more comfortable with him in the side

Magden hasn't proved himself against anyone of worth yet though. Crows and Dees had not worthy forwards yet Tex looked threatening at times against him. Are people overrating Magden?

I think Noble for Moore if he’s fit next week.

The others would be stiff. And especially if you want to also incorporate Aish and potentially Wells.

Wills is probably on the chopping block too, his disposal and speed are a concern.

Greenwood had an average game last night, but I feel more comfortable with him in the side

Noble or Madgen for Moore. The other will go the next week when DeGoey and Stevo come back so it doesnt really matter which way they go this week. The other player who goes out will be very unlucky and it might imo be one of Thomas Varcoe or Mayne.

There is NO chance that Greenwood will be dropped. He played a good game so not sure what you were watching.
There is NO chance that Wills will be dropped. His inside play along with the return of Adams are what we've been missing all year.

And I highly doubt Ash or Wells will get a call-up unless we suffer injuries or form issues. We've simply run out of time and the other three returning players are too important and take precedence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back