Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Fremantle Dockers (Round 11, Sat 01/06 1:45pm MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

When we are talking about risk. If you've got a match fit Wells available for selection on Grand Final Day, it would be a far greater risk to leave him out than to include him. He's a star.
Correct.

I think he cops a lot of undeserved flack about his ball use. It's not usually anywhere near as bad as many on this board suggests. But it was really bad against Sydney.
The same people who bagged Steel for years are now bagging Phillips.
Fact is, Phillips was taken with the 58th pick. He is in his 4th season and has already notched up 60 games, and a sixth place finish in the B&F. This kid is a huge success story for us. Yet some just want to drag him down. Go figure.

The same people who bagged Steel for years are now bagging Phillips.
Fact is, Phillips was taken with the 58th pick. He is in his 4th season and has already notched up 60 games, and a sixth place finish in the B&F. This kid is a huge success story for us. Yet some just want to drag him down. Go figure.
I'm a fan, just think he had a bad game against Sydney.

Phillips was absolutely putrid last night, looking forward to when he gets pushed out of the side

Phillips was s**t. So was Sidebottom for 75% of the game. It wasn't a good night for our outside guys. I reckon that's a combination of a well executed Sydney game plan that was shaped around stopping our outside ball. And the narrowness of the SCG. Plus some s**t performances. I don't think Phillips is at any risk of getting dropped and probably shouldn't be in tye absence of better options right now.

No I don’t.

But at some point you have to make a risk / reward assessment on Wells. To me he is no longer worth taking the risk with given the improvements in Brown and possible inclusion of Sier at some stage. After all Brown was just as important as Wells on Friday.
You’ve been going on about him for 24 hours now.

Phillips was ****. So was Sidebottom for 75% of the game. It wasn't a good night for our outside guys. I reckon that's a combination of a well executed Sydney game plan that was shaped around stopping our outside ball. And the narrowness of the SCG. Plus some **** performances. I don't think Phillips is at any risk of getting dropped and probably shouldn't be in tye absence of better options right now.
Seems to me that people still have a mindset of replacing Phillips, instead of realising he is an integral part of the team.

No I don’t.

But at some point you have to make a risk / reward assessment on Wells. To me he is no longer worth taking the risk with given the improvements in Brown and possible inclusion of Sier at some stage. After all Brown was just as important as Wells on Friday.
If he's match fit before finals and you don't pick him, you have a loser's mentality. You're basically saying, don't play him because he may get injured which could contribute to a loss. Rather than saying, play him, he's a pretty good chance of contributing to a win. If you go in to a Grand Final trying not to lose, you've lost it before the opening bounce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's match fit before finals and you don't pick him, you have a loser's mentality. You're basically saying, don't play him because he may get injured which could contribute to a loss. Rather than saying, play him, he's a pretty good chance of contributing to a win. If you go in to a Grand Final trying not to lose, you've lost it before the opening bounce.

Rubbish. Maybe I just don’t think he is as good as he once was and other players are just as likely contribute to a win. Brown proved that on Friday night. Wells is way past his best and just not worth the risk in my opinion. Being cavalier with selection is just plain stupid.

Rubbish. Maybe I just don’t think he is as good as he once was and other players are just as likely contribute to a win. Brown proved that on Friday night. Wells is way past his best and just not worth the risk in my opinion. Being cavalier with selection is just plain stupid.
A half of footy was more than enough to show me that he is still about six rungs above Josh Thomas, Varcoe, and I'd still find a spot for Brown, but he's miles above Brown.

Phillips was ****. So was Sidebottom for 75% of the game. It wasn't a good night for our outside guys. I reckon that's a combination of a well executed Sydney game plan that was shaped around stopping our outside ball. And the narrowness of the SCG. Plus some **** performances. I don't think Phillips is at any risk of getting dropped and probably shouldn't be in tye absence of better options right now.

I'd take Sidebottom's 13 every day over Phillips' 25.

Full list available, if Phillips is serving that up week in, week out then he is definitely at risk. His footskills are absolutely horrendous.

I'd take Sidebottom's 13 every day over Phillips' 25.

Full list available, if Phillips is serving that up week in, week out then he is definitely at risk. His footskills are absolutely horrendous.
He's not a good kick, but his ability to run hard and get the ball in the clear, means our ball use is still better. Phillips in the clear is still a beetter kick than a classy guy under pressure.

If all our potential ins are fit: Cox, Moore, JDG, Adams, Varcoe, Sier.

My guess is we go with:
in: Cox, Moore, JDG, Adams
out: Reid, Madgen, Wills, Wells

Don't think Sier's a chance if JDG and Adams are back. Varcoe was already on the outer and don't see any chance of dropping Brown for him and expect that Thomas also holds his spot - hasn't been dropped this year while Varcoe has, twice.

I expect JDG and Adams to play. Think that Cox and Moore will miss again. In which case, surely Goldsack comes in for Madgen, though there must be a reason he wasn't selected in the first place. If Cox is back but Moore out, then maybe we move Reid to defence? If Adams misses, I certainly hope we go with Sier as a mid over Wills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back