Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Fremantle Dockers (Round 11, Sat 01/06 1:45pm MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

A half of footy was more than enough to show me that he is still about six rungs above Josh Thomas, Varcoe, and I'd still find a spot for Brown, but he's miles above Brown.

Exactly. Half a game of footy.

If we can get him to play a half each week with 3 goals then we pick him. I personally don’t think that that is likely and I think that time will now prove that to be the case.

Sad because we really lack that silk on the outside that can do something special. Which is what he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phillips did not have an average game. It was below average. However, so long as he runs into the right positions to kick multiple goals every second game then he stays.

If he can improve his composure / execution with his kicking he could be quite damaging.

Are you calling Buckley a liar?

Sigh. No.

And for the record, an opinion that does not fall in line with the club’s public narrative is not automatically incorrect.

On topic, I think that, on balance, the recruitment has been a failure.

If you think that Buckley would intimate that, let alone expressly state so, then you may be a tad naive.

I had high hopes for Wells, since we lacked that outside silk in our midfield at the time he was recruited and we still do.

And I wished he did not acquire injuries during his time so that we could win a flag, but, at the moment, this seems unlikely.

I hope he overcomes his most recent injury which was innocuous and unlucky, and ensures we win a flag, because that is what his recruitment was for. I am hopeful rather than expectant.

I hope you can respect my opinion.

Just never wanna see madgen in the side again you can tell he belongs in the seconds

Should have never got a game, some around here think he goes alright and we should be soft on him because he hasn't played much footy

Never again

You think Phillips had an okay game?
He played his role. Certainly not his best, but not “putrid” and not a “shocker”. As I said earlier, he is an important part of our team and is not getting dropped any time soon.

If all our potential ins are fit: Cox, Moore, JDG, Adams, Varcoe, Sier.

My guess is we go with:
in: Cox, Moore, JDG, Adams
out: Reid, Madgen, Wills, Wells

Don't think Sier's a chance if JDG and Adams are back. Varcoe was already on the outer and don't see any chance of dropping Brown for him and expect that Thomas also holds his spot - hasn't been dropped this year while Varcoe has, twice.

I expect JDG and Adams to play. Think that Cox and Moore will miss again. In which case, surely Goldsack comes in for Madgen, though there must be a reason he wasn't selected in the first place. If Cox is back but Moore out, then maybe we move Reid to defence? If Adams misses, I certainly hope we go with Sier as a mid over Wills.
Varcoe will replace Wells next week. Bucks has already intimated that.

Sigh. No.

And for the record, an opinion that does not fall in line with the club’s public narrative is not automatically incorrect.

On topic, I think that, on balance, the recruitment has been a failure.

If you think that Buckley would intimate that, let alone expressly state so, then you may be a tad naive.

I had high hopes for Wells, since we lacked that outside silk in our midfield at the time he was recruited and we still do.

And I wished he did not acquire injuries during his time so that we could win a flag, but, at the moment, this seems unlikely.

I hope he overcomes his most recent injury which was innocuous and unlucky, and ensures we win a flag, because that is what his recruitment was for. I am hopeful rather than expectant.

I hope you can respect my opinion.

You are welcome to your opinion. Bucks’ comments on Wells recently show enormous respect for him. Certainly no regret in recruiting him, quite the opposite.

Unlucky, but perhaps he has a tendency to get injured?

SWEET JEEBUS! So does Jamie, Penders also is starting to have problems playing through niggles, Reid has spent two years basically on the sidelies. Would you advocate kicking them into the spare parts bin too?

You and a number of others seem to be using injury as an excuse for attacking those you don't want on the list - or in fact any old excuse that comes along.

I get the feeling Cox and Moore won't be available. If Jordy is still pulling up sore from training on Wednesday, he's probably unlikely too.

Out: Wells, Wills
In: Varcoe, Adams

Hardly a shocker. He had an ok game.
Nah it was pretty bad. It was like one of those games from the early days when you had your heart in your mouth every time the ball was in his hands. Disposal and decision making was truly awful. I like Phillips, but there’s no denying he had a bit of a mare this week.

I get the feeling Cox and Moore won't be available. If Jordy is still pulling up sore from training on Wednesday, he's probably unlikely too.

Out: Wells, Wills
In: Varcoe, Adams

Surely Moore plays this week. It was only a ankle injury, unless it's a syndesmosis injury, which means we may not see him until after the bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A half of footy was more than enough to show me that he is still about six rungs above Josh Thomas, Varcoe, and I'd still find a spot for Brown, but he's miles above Brown.

Then you are easily pleased.

Give me half a season of consistent footy and then I might be convinced, not two quarters. He hasn’t put three decent games together in three years, and then add the last few years at the Roos.

He was an elite talent once, he just doesn’t have the miles in the legs to support his selection when the intensity rises to the next level.

That’s correct it doesn’t. It operates better:

Points for with Cox - 87.5
Points for without Cox - 101.5

Hmm, have time for your point but not sure about this. Thats a small difference between means for samples of 6 and 4

Nah it was pretty bad. It was like one of those games from the early days when you had your heart in your mouth every time the ball was in his hands. Disposal and decision making was truly awful. I like Phillips, but there’s no denying he had a bit of a mare this week.
It was a down game by foot from Philips where I reckon he lost all confidence in his kicking because he elected to handball mainly in the second half. He’ll bounce back.

Hmm, have time for your point but not sure about this. Thats a small difference between means for samples of 6 and 4

Neither am I really. It was just an overly simplistic response to an absolute statement on something which is up for debate. IMO, the forward third functions better with Reid, but we lose in the ruck. Either way I’m keen to explore any mix that isn’t three talls.

Maybe we would have won comfortably with Elliott, daicos, Cox or de gooey in instead of him.

Most of them weren't available. This is not a realistic argument. "We would've thrashed them of the 2010 team were playing". Silly.

Not about ins or outs but thought those out there might want to know of a really good platform to watch games not being televised free to air. Can I've watched on phones, ipads, tablets and streamed to smart tbs.

I used the free trial for 14days to watch blues, saints game and got to watch swans before free trial finished.

They have a promo that ends tomorrow for standard subscription $5 (for first month before reverting back to $25 a month). But can cancel at any stage.

Great if you are an AFL nut. Even better if you are crazy about sports in general.

70A7E08C-A9EE-423B-81D4-729E4C795A50.jpeg

I’d love to get Sier into that team. We should be getting more clearances given how Grundy has been dominating the ruck.

I’m not sold on Beams. Yes he is a good player but he needs to improve his use of the ball. Two first round draft picks was indeed excessive. Particularly if it means we end up losing Sier who was coming along well.

Maybe we would have won comfortably with Elliott, daicos, Cox or de gooey in instead of him.

The qualifier I included in my chain of responses was fit players outside the 22. Elliott, De Goey and Cox are injured and while i'm bullish on Daicos he hasn't done anything to date to suggest he'd replicate Wells impact, in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back