Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Geelong (QF - Friday 06/09 7:50pm MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong, but I'm not really sure how Noble fits the bill as a small defender. Surely pace isn't the only requirement.. He's not really a defender, is he?

I think the selection of Noble is a mistake but I certainly hope to be proved wrong. Strong lineup though.
Pretty sure he held Cameron goalless on debut after he was moved on to him when he’d already kicked 4. He can definitely defend a small forward.

I've been wondering lately whether Scharenberg could ever have a future pinch hitting up forward?

He wouldn't obviously be able to fill the relief ruck role but if his footy smarts extend to forward craft could he make a go of it if a need arose?

His best physical footballing attribute is probably his ability to outpoint similar or small sized opponents regularly in a marking contest so the opposition would probably need to use a quality or key position sized opponent on him to try and negate this which can prove a positive for the rest of our forward options.

While he mightn't be an athletic beast if you believe in his football IQ then these players can generally find a way to become a nuisance to the opposition playing a role for the team.

Someone made the good suggestion he could play the Mayne role in future.

I think the most encouraging thing about selection is that it looks geared towards quick ball movement. Geelong has a very disciplined and tough defence. But it's also predictable and rigid. The teams that have beaten Geelong have broken through their defence with good ball movement. It seems we will try the same.

Last edited:
Disappointed for the boys that missed out, Trav and Shaz in particular. But also very excited for Johnny Noble and Wills!

Noble to Dahlhaus and wear him close? A few questions above about Noble's checking abilities, but he's done a couple of nice jobs in his few games already. Will back him in again

Fair call, much of it is sensationalist reporting. Still not something you want coming into a finals series.

How are you guys feeling about your chances?
Sorry for the delay. Personally, I wouldn’t say I am confident, looking at the way we have played
in the second half of the season. I would not be surprised which way it went.
Just to clarify some of the comments about the backline. Stewart is not a tall (190cm) but super quick.
O’Connor is deceptively tall (191cm) and as quick as most smalls going around, Henry is also (191cm)
and also quite fast. The 2 genuine talls are Blicavs and Taylor. Kolodjashnij is 193cm and also has good
pace. If I could pick anything, you may be a tall player short, the backline matchups may allow Taylor
to go forward at times.
Good luck, I hope it is a great game.

Best side we have had all year.....come on pies do it for the great man Sir Pendles!!! Let’s get 70,000 screaming Collingwood fans roar and make the mcg a fortress!! We all know that Geelong fans don’t like to go to night games in Melbourne. 60 minute drive is just too long for them :-(

They must be supremely confident in Darcy getting through the game to be dropping both Shaz and Magden. I'll be nervous everytime he extends those legs.

They must be supremely confident in Darcy getting through the game to be dropping both Shaz and Magden. I'll be nervous everytime he extends those legs.
When fit and confident he is an AA defender - was put through a searching test and came through with flying colours.

It's finals time and you pick your best team available and back them to get the job done.

But . . .

Fingers crossed.

On the plus side if he gets through and plays his role his confidence in his body will soar and it may launch his career to the heights he is capable of.

I think the most encouraging thing about selection is that it looks geared towards quick ball movement. Geelong has a very disciplined and tough defence. But it also predictable and rigid. The teams that have beaten Geelong have broken through their defence with good ball movement. It seems we will try the same.

yeah agree for sure. Team selection suits this as will the conditions. Smaller forward can really work in our favour this game I feel. Think we have really good matchups for all their forwards too. Midfield battle will be a ripper. we are good enough if we want it.

I've said all year that having Darcy in the side will go a long way towards us having a red hot premiership tilt, and it's very tricky without him. Worth the gamble, and as stated above you don't pick players in the 22 as backups for an injury that hasn't happened. You either play Darcy confident in him getting through the match, or you don't play him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll have to defer to your wisdom on this one, as I've only really noticed him driving up a wing or down the middle and not really seen the shut down attributes. I guess we'll know a lot more tomorrow night.

I think you're on the money and there's a bit of logic behind it. I'm just a little uneasy with the prospect of a 3 game player finding himself on a Rohan or Dahlhaus down back.

Tomorrow night can't come fast enough.

Noble’s possession heatmap. Small sample, but he’s a defender.

43DF4C13-BA53-4CCB-B162-EA26E3BF699D.jpeg

I don’t trust in his ability to shutdown yet, but I don’t trust any of our defenders (Greenwood and Roughead aside) and we’re still the second best defensive unit in the league.

Last edited:
Really like the side we have selected for tonight.
There was always going to be a few players stiff to miss out - but we have brought in 3 genuine match winners.
How about Johnny Noble good on him - hope he does well tonight.

Roughead to Hawkins.
Moore to Ratugolea.

The idea of having DeGoey, Elliott and Stephenson start in the 50 excites me.

How I see us lining up:

B - Howe Roughead Greenwood
HB - Maynard Moore Crisp
C - Phillips Pendlebury Sidebottom
HF - WHE Mihochek Thomas
F - Elliott DeGoey Stephenson
R - Grundy Adams Treloar
INT - Mayne Wills Brown Noble

Pumped.

You make a good point. I've just seen Stewart do it so well so many times it makes feel a little uncomfortable. If we can negate his influence by tying him to a player like Reid, even if Reid has no influence at all, I think it could be a good move.
I'm more than happy to have Stewart tied to Reid, esp as Reid not playing, but is that against the rules??

Oof

Not overly enthused about those outs.

What if we need Greenwood to tag someone? What if we wanna push Crisp up into the middle? What if Moore breaks down?

It’s bad enough Varcoe has been dropped but Scharenberg AND Madgen? So if Moore breaks down we’re basically screwed.
What if none of that happens

Having watched the Eagles last night, I bloody hope we win this one!

Eagles are a top four quality side but they played against witches hats last night.

But yep, we need to win to ensure we dont play the Eagles next week (and potentially travel to Brisbane the week after). That path is suicide. This QF is almost like a prelim because the loser is up against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back