Unofficial Preview Changes/pre-match discussion vs GWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
NMFC-header.png

Get them in: Midfielder Paul Ahern wasn't quite as prolific in the VFL at the weekend but is the obvious candidate to be Shaun Higgins' injury replacement. Taylor Garner is too good to be at state league level for long and was prominent again, while Bailey Scott is also pushing for selection.

Under the pump: Sam Durdin probably didn't do enough, with fellow backman Jamie Macmillan due back from his calf complaint.

Medical room: Dual Syd Barker medallist Higgins(AC joint) will be a significant out for the Roos, who also lost depth when Aaron Hall (knee) went down in the VFL. Hall would have been a contender to replace Higgins. Macmillan (calf) should return after missing last week, while Sam Wright (ankle) and Dom Tyson (calf) are likely to be back after next week's bye.

Verdict: Ahern and Macmillan for Higgins and Durdin. - Marc McGowan
Half right with Ahern in for hig and Garner too good for vfl
No to Macmillan in for Durdin
Durds plays until Daw is ready

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Half right with Ahern in for hig and Garner too good for vfl
No to Macmillan in for Durdin
Durds plays until Daw is ready

It would be nice to see Durdin and/or McKay get an extended run at it but surely they bring McMillan back in for GWS. I would be shocked, though not necessarily devastated if that didn't happen.

It would be nice to see Durdin and/or McKay get an extended run at it but surely they bring McMillan back in for GWS. I would be shocked, though not necessarily devastated if that didn't happen.
Himmelberg, Cameron and Finlayson
Durdin gets one

Macmillan can come through the vfl and force his way in later

I’m feeling a lot happier about our midfield these days. Higgins, Tyson and Hall all injured. But, even so, it might be a blessing in disguise by unleashing Ahern. He’ll be chomping at the bit. I’d really like to see Garner in too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Greene expected to play.

Looks like a job for L-mac

Word is Haynes will miss, which is a slight bonus. They're backline is looking slightly vulnerable.

I rate the list higher than most, I was deadset when the season began that it was finals or bust. Anything else is an abject failure to this club because the list is finals worthy.

So I expect that if you're gonna sell 4 home games to Tassie, you'd win all of them. The Sydney game was a disgrace, and everyone expected the win.

People massively overrate us at Blundstone against certain teams.

I think everyone here felt that way.

Hence the boardwide meltdown when we started so poorly.

Sydney and GWS have both beaten us at Blunny oval. Probably why they keep getting games down there.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Giants injury list

Jye Caldwell Calf 2 weeks
Aidan Corr Calf 2 weeks
Isaac Cumming Head TBC
Toby Greene Knee Test
Nick Haynes Ankle 2-3 weeks
Lachlan Keeffe Broken hand 4 weeks
Xavier O'Halloran Knee TBC
Jonathon Patton Knee TBC
Tommy Sheridan Calf 1 week
Zac Sproule Knee 4-6 weeks
Callan Ward Knee Season
Lachie Whitfield Collarbone 2-3 weeks

May 1, 2005
Rural and Regional Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangas, Roos, Shinboners
Giants injury list

Jye Caldwell Calf 2 weeks
Aidan Corr Calf 2 weeks
Isaac Cumming Head TBC
Toby Greene Knee Test
Nick Haynes Ankle 2-3 weeks
Lachlan Keeffe Broken hand 4 weeks
Xavier O'Halloran Knee TBC
Jonathon Patton Knee TBC
Tommy Sheridan Calf 1 week
Zac Sproule Knee 4-6 weeks
Callan Ward Knee Season
Lachie Whitfield Collarbone 2-3 weeks

My inner Kelvin Cunnington just laughed.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dumont is only biding time at the moment, and I couldn't give a toss how many stats he gets. I can't see LDU having a blinder next week either. They're the only two I would look at swapping out. Ahern to come in.

If J-Mac's fit he'll take Durds spot.

Haven’t read the rest of the thread yet so apologies if it’s been done to death, but I was going to post the same thing. Dumont is just going at the moment. Cruising. He’s capable of much better footy. I wouldn’t be dropping him yet but he’s definitely on watch.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wrong week to be dropping Durdin. The teams who have played well against GWS have done so with 3 tall defenders. You have to stifle their forward aerial presence.

Ahern for Higgins should be the only change.

Garner needs a big game in the VFL to dislodge Thomas or Turner. On VFL form I’d actually have Hosie ahead of him.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Just don’t want to hear anything about Brad. Win or lose.

The whole 'the old king was always completely s**t/the new king is the ants pants' mindset around here is getting tedious. It was time for him to move on, and he has. He gave it his best shot, and we didn't reach the holy grail. Now we have a new coach who, if he doesn't get us there, will find himself in the very same position.

If someone like Ben said something about Brad, for example, it wouldn't be inappropriate. He's played all but two games under Brad and was the first player drafted under his watch. If the 'who actually developed under Brad?' position is taken, then you could argue Ben did and he has thanked him for it.

In short, Brad wasn't perfect by any stretch and his shortcomings have been extensively listed, but we don't need to revise history to paint him as completely s**t.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Himmelberg, Cameron and Finlayson
Durdin gets one

Macmillan can come through the vfl and force his way in later

I really believe we need to give Durdin an extended run at it to prove himself or otherwise for the remainder of the season. That said, I attended the game at Metricon, and gotta say I thought he was a bit underwhelming. His opponent got separation on him time and again. Might just need a game or two to adjust to the tempo, I am hoping that's the case, but wouldn't be surprised to him straight back out. If he stays in, I really hope he steps up his intensity as I just didn't see him physically impacting his opponent, the pack, or taking marks. Scooter and Robbie were huge though, and their age really does start to worry me as at this stage, no-one has shown form to be heirs apparent.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I really believe we need to give Durdin an extended run at it to prove himself or otherwise for the remainder of the season. That said, I attended the game at Metricon, and gotta say I thought he was a bit underwhelming. His opponent got separation on him time and again. Might just need a game or two to adjust to the tempo, I am hoping that's the case, but wouldn't be surprised to him straight back out. If he stays in, I really hope he steps up his intensity as I just didn't see him physically impacting his opponent, the pack, or taking marks. Scooter and Robbie were huge though, and their age really does start to worry me as at this stage, no-one has shown form to be heirs apparent.

I have concerns about Durdin as well, but also agree that he needs games for the rest of the year to make a call. But Ben King is going to be an absolute gun. He was close to making a mess of poor Durds.

AdmiralBenson

All Australian
May 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But Ben King is going to be an absolute gun. He was close to making a mess of poor Durds.

To be fair that isn't difficult. Durdin to me is a worry. (i know very limited games)

Seems a very likable guy, but the game tends to float around him.

It's strange as sometimes it looks like he's not trying, which I'm absolutely sure that he is giving 100 per cent. Maybe just his action.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have concerns about Durdin as well, but also agree that he needs games for the rest of the year to make a call. But Ben King is going to be an absolute gun. He was close to making a mess of poor Durds.

Himmelberg and Finlayson are actually really good match ups for Durdin, not really quick, overly tall or strong in the air but rely on getting posessions through workrate. Durdin doesn’t have much speed but had a big tank to match up well on those sorts of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back