Unofficial Preview Changes/pre-match discussion vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole 'the old king was always completely ****/the new king is the ants pants' mindset around here is getting tedious. It was time for him to move on, and he has. He gave it his best shot, and we didn't reach the holy grail. Now we have a new coach who, if he doesn't get us there, will find himself in the very same position.

If someone like Ben said something about Brad, for example, it wouldn't be inappropriate. He's played all but two games under Brad and was the first player drafted under his watch. If the 'who actually developed under Brad?' position is taken, then you could argue Ben did and he has thanked him for it.

In short, Brad wasn't perfect by any stretch and his shortcomings have been extensively listed, but we don't need to revise history to paint him as completely ****.

Exactly - it’s disrespectful, classless and not even true most of the stuff said about Brad.

Sadly many on here are more than happy to beat down their own.

Exactly - it’s disrespectful, classless and not even true most of the stuff said about Brad.

Sadly many on here are more than happy to beat down their own.

It's time to move on - the season under Brad was a complete balls up whether his fault or not.

That wasn't and isn't the point. I guess supporters are just venting as it took far too long so still fresh.

Scott criticism will cease soon enough either praising Rhyce or knives out for him, one way or another.

I dunno. I'd strongly consider another mid and expose them rather than match their talls at Blundstone.

Whenever GWS have won this year either Cameron or Finlayson have kicked bags, I know which way I’d be leaning.

If the wind is up both teams will be going long to a contest, I wouldn’t be giving them an aerial advantage.

Whenever GWS have won this year either Cameron or Finlayson have kicked bags, I know which way I’d be leaning.

If the wind is up both teams will be going long to a contest, I wouldn’t be giving them an aerial advantage.

Fair points.

The weather report looks good but it changes here day by day, hour by hour.

Remember one teams advantage can be a disadvantage just the same. I'm open to waiting until game time and bringing more run and carry that's all.

It's time to move on - the season under Brad was a complete balls up whether his fault or not.

That wasn't and isn't the point. I guess supporters are just venting as it took far too long so still fresh.

Scott criticism will cease soon enough either praising Rhyce or knives out for him, one way or another.

It wouldn’t hurt to be thankful for people efforts on the way out.

I’m glad we’ve moved on but I respect the effort of the previous group.

It wouldn’t hurt to be thankful for people efforts on the way out.

I agree that being as constrained as possible is preferred, but I am not "thankful" at all.

The club should shoot that same picture for the next ~12-15 years and do it as an annual time lapse presentation.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can go back and probably find times when Brad made some actually beneficial decisions that took the team from despair into a finals spot. Whether it might be positional changes or a tactical change/game plan change. e.g. Cunnington and Ziebell trialling forward.

But I can also go back and recall some truly awful decisions Brad has made or the times when he has refused to make changes to a side getting smashed. Sometimes it is the players, sometimes it is the coach. It is footy. (2019 & Boomer HBF)

However, the last two weeks suggest the rigid system we were implementing in Brad's 2019 tenure proved to be more devastating than beneficial because it required a list to be literally perfect by foot and hand. It also required literally perfect link-up play with little room for error or opposition tactical change.

Additionally, I think Brad might've believed the 6-6-6 rule gave him the freedom to go back to the 2012 style with the handball links being the focus, since the AFL wanted the game to be more open. But again, this doesn't take into account if opposition send one back on the rebound in case we eventually get through. Which is what happened a lot when teams knew our game system. And which is why we conceded so badly. In 2012 our points against were also high, we just kicked the goals we needed to kick and some teams didn't expect us to be offensive!

Another thing that Brad probably got wrong was the influx of class automatically being beneficial without experimenting whether the grunt and class can be interchanged or rotated. Brad probably didn't want the classy players getting dragged into the contests, but this made us way too predictable. If we keep extracting to the one bloke without rotating roles, of course we are going to get found out.

The decline in performances was probably down to Brad's game plan changes which involved recycling some old tricks mixed with a more skill-related style of play, whilst gambling the likelihood of that play being exposed.

Shaw has taken what the side can do well (contested and direct kicking) and has told the boys to get numbers to the ball, and use the best option based on instinct. Rather than giving it to the same bloke. The urge to kick rather than handball helps us more since if there is a turnover, it is potentially +50m away from our goal. Giving us enough time to set up and counter potentially.

North Melbourne continued its hot streak of form on the weekend, recording a comfortable 27-point win over Gold Coast.

Despite the VFL side losing by 53 points to a physical Williamstown side, there were a number of impressive performances that could lead to an AFL call-up.

North Media takes a look at those pushing for selection for this weekend’s game against the Giants.

Defenders

Jamie Macmillan looks a likely inclusion, if passed fit, after missing last week with a calf issue. Tom Murphy continued his comeback from an ankle injury on the weekend, collecting 16 disposals in a defence that was consistently under the pump. He's ready, if an opportunity present. Ben McKay worked hard to counter the aerial threat of the Seagulls, but could find it tough to break in given the strong form of talls Robbie Tarrant and Scott Thompson.

Midfielders

Paul Ahern continues to stake a claim, collecting 21 disposals. With Shaun Higgins sidelined, interim coach Rhyce Shaw has a like-for-like replacement ready to go. Kyron Hayden has been an emergency regularly this year, and is another waiting in the wings. Bailey Scott kicked a goal and had 17 touches in a return to form. After a Rising Star nomination in Round 1, another opportunity beckons. Tom Campbell was once again dominant in the ruck, amassing 21 possessions and 33 hit-outs. Should the Roos opt to stretch the Giants' ruck brigade, he's right in the mix.

Forwards

Lachie Hosie kicked two goals and continues to make a strong impression at his new club. The good form of the likes of Nick Larkey, Tarryn Thomas and Mason Wood will make it hard to break in, however, just yet. Taylor Garner gathered 12 touches and kicked two goals, and is proven at AFL level. Nathan Hrovat has been in fine form in the past month, and will no doubt be putting his hand up for a call-up. An emergency last week, Curtis Taylor is also right in the mix.

Shaw: GWS have supreme talent across field, work really well together. Dangerous team. But we’ve been playing really well too. We’ll back ourselves in the contested ball.

This is an absolutely huge game for us. If we win this, we are right back in the season, regardless of the Collingwood game after the bye. But if we lose both this, and Collingwood - our revival would end right there. This is basically a final for us.
They're all finals now.

Such is the rod we made for our back.

No Gold for this Stein

Former Commonwealth Games decathlete Jake Stein is set to be handed his AFL debut for Greater Western Sydney in Sunday's clash with North Melbourne in Hobart.
Coach Leon Cameron confirmed on Thursday that Stein, 25, will play his first senior game for the Giants this weekend, nearly three years after making the switch from athletics to football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back