Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Melbourne (R21, Sat 10/08 1:45pm MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
State of Play for every Listed Player: Blind Cox edition

Sen:
Crisp Roughead Greenwood
Howe Scharenberg Maynard

Grundy Treloar Pendlebury
Phillips Adams Sidebottom

Mihocek Hoskin Brown
Elliott Varcoe Thomas

Int:
Wills Mayne Daicos Madgen

Emer:
Noble* Broomhead T Brown Crocker

Res:
Lynch Appleby Murphy Goldsack Bosenavulagi Wilson Keane Tohill

Unavailable:
De Goey Moore Wells Langdon Stephenson Aish Sier Reid Quaynor Kelly Murray Beams Dunn Cox

* Not named in reserves so assuming he's 1st emergency
Noble's named on the VFL bench

Ya but i meant he didnt have a follow up effort after the ruck stood outside the contest. Obviously that can change but being smaller you can have the wind knocked out of you trying to go up vs them especially if they put the knee through you.
He had a very late growth spurt due to the issue with his glands. He'd probably never done ruck work before, even in juniors, and probably had no idea what to do during and after the hitout. Wills doing ruck work is definitely not sustainable.

I think we are pretty much certainties to finish 5-8 and don't think it matters which of those spots. So to me, the last 3 weeks should be all about settling the team for finals. I hope we win them, but finals strategy should come first. Moore's the one I'm hoping they play forward and second ruck in the finals. wouldn't mess with the role of someone like Roughhead - your defence needs cohesion. Hence my preference for Wills.

Last edited:
I would bring in Nobel for Daicos... and any of the regular players if theyre back from injury unless its Aish then I would just do Aish in for Daicos
I think this a good game for Daicos to make a break from his lacklustre performances. The incentive is there with our injuries for him to perform and stake a claim for a finals spot. The other aspect is that Melbourne play hard and well against us so I’d like to see how he performs in that environment.

The other aspect is, we need to play him in a position that suits...not as a role player.

Madgen equally by my reckoning has 2-3 games to prove his worth before he is shown the door.

Wills shocked us all so maybe it's Madgen's turn this week, he looks and plays like an ugly Mick Gayfer... and he won a flag

Terrible decision to play Madgen.
Nowhere near the standard required to play at this level let alone the seconds.
BOG last week, I guess that was enough for them. Poor Goldy. When you are now behind Madgen. Shows he may never get another game.

Plenty of players can carve up the twos and not have it translate to the top level

We’ve seen his exposed form at the top level and it stinks
To be fair he only gets called up when there's no one left and he has to play on someone 6 inches taller than him at the elite level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair he only gets called up when there's no one left and he has to play on someone 6 inches taller than him at the elite level
Forget his height, he doesn’t even have the talent to play.

I’d rather Blair being undersized than picking Madgen and trying to justify that he is battling physical limitations

Forget his height, he doesn’t even have the talent to play.

I’d rather Blair being undersized than picking Madgen and trying to justify that he is battling physical limitations
Think you're being a bit extreme, when he gets a shot at the seniors the backline is at it's weakest and he has to play a key position, and he's really only a medium

Richmond won a flag using an undersized defender as a relief ruck

We aren't re-inventing the wheel here

Two things:

1. Using Grigg in this situation was less risky before the 6/6/6 rule. Behind the ball was covered as Richmond did before this rule in case the centre clearance was lost.
  2. Using Wills in unlikely ruck contest win and a likely centre clearance loss with the 6/6/6 rule is likely to do us a damage. Grigg has much more mobility and is more likely to win a ruck contest than Wills especially against someone like Gawn or Pruess.
I accept that given the lack of stock we have we have almost zero choice but to go this path. If you think this is some sort of opportunity to our advantage think again.

Maybe Madgen is being added to the backline without moving Roughy, can't keep putting him on key positions

Wills shocked us all so maybe it's Madgen's turn this week, he looks and plays like an ugly Mick Gayfer... and he won a flag
Not a shock at all, he has been played out of position every time he's been given an opportunity at senior level FFS.

As soon as he was given an opportunity at the coal face - which is his natural environment - he performed.

I'll be shocked of Madgen isn't a late out.​
Their tallest forward is Petty.​
They've got mostly medium sized forwards and smalls.​
Late change will be Noble in imo.​
If we go with Madgen we have no idea what we are doing.​

I wish people could decide if Madgen was a tall or a medium. I can understand if they have doubts about his ability, but you'd think there should be no doubts about his height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back