Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. North Melbourne (R15, Sat 29/06 7:25pm MRVL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scharenberg is beating the door down and is an upgrade on Howe.
Scharenberg is good. But 31 games into his young career is quite simply not better then Howe. Yet.

Can he be better? Yeah. Given a free consistent run without injury. But right now, no way.

Like most I’m ok with him spending further time at VFL level if that’s what the GPS indicates is required, but surely you noticed that Kappa made an assumption (that he’s playing limited minutes) and then based on that assumption gave an arbitrary timeline of a return. There’s every chance the former is true, but using it as a basis for the latter is specious reasoning!

Agreed Sco, and similarly to you I'm happy with whatever the club's professionals decide based on the data in their possession. If they are content that the risks are similar whether he plays seniors or with the 2s, I'm happy. I feel elated about his return.

I'm in the group that doesn't quite understand why Thommo keeps getting selected, but open-minded enough to think that there might be a good reason I'm just not aware of -- eg. I just don't understand our strategy well enough, or he's doing stuff I can't see on television (I can't go to games). Bucks clearly rates what he's been doing (we'll find out later this week whether that's still the case after the game against the Dogs). So anyway... I'd be interested to know whether anyone can spell it out for me.

Agreed Sco, and similarly to you I'm happy with whatever the club's professionals decide based on the data in their possession. If they are content that the risks are similar whether he plays seniors or with the 2s, I'm happy. I feel elated about his return.

I should probably put my thoughts on the changes forward as well given I’ve discussed what I consider interesting POV’s re Shaz.

We need a replacement for Howe regardless of whether it’s Shaz or not and for me there’s three options:

1. Shaz if he’s hit those targets.

2. Mayne to continue with the role he played Sunday. Daicos to fill Mayne’s role.

3. Mayne to continue with the role he played Sunday. Mihocek up to a wing and Daicos to play forward.

I’m keen on 1 and 3 depending on how the cards fall, but my gut tells me that given how we play option 1 will be hard to ignore for the coaching group. I also wouldn’t consider IQ because the makeup of the North forward half isn’t suited to him and a role on a Cameron or Puopolo is more appealing (if he’s ready).

I'm in the group that doesn't quite understand why Thommo keeps getting selected, but open-minded enough to think that there might be a good reason I'm just not aware of -- eg. I just don't understand our strategy well enough, or he's doing stuff I can't see on television (I can't go to games). Bucks clearly rates what he's been doing (we'll find out later this week whether that's still the case after the game against the Dogs). So anyway... I'd be interested to know whether anyone can spell it out for me.

I'm shocked he hasn't been dropped yet to be honest.
Or at least some external talk about pressure on his spot.

Against his 2018 season he is down in the following statistical categories per game.

Disposals -2.4
Marks -0.6
Goals -0.6
Tackles -1
Contested Possession -1.6
Uncontested Possession -0.6
Effective disposals -1.4
Clearances -0.8
One Percenters -0.3
Score Involvements -0.7
Metres gained -50.9m
Tackles inside 50 -0.5

I should probably put my thoughts on the changes forward as well given I’ve discussed what I consider interesting POV’s re Shaz.

We need a replacement for Howe regardless of whether it’s Shaz or not and for me there’s three options:

1. Shaz if he’s hit those targets.

2. Mayne to continue with the role he played Sunday. Daicos to fill Mayne’s role.

3. Mayne to continue with the role he played Sunday. Mihocek up to a wing and Daicos to play forward.

I’m keen on 1 and 3 depending on how the cards fall, but my gut tells me that given how we play option 1 will be hard to ignore for the coaching group. I also wouldn’t consider IQ because the makeup of the North forward half isn’t suited to him and a role on a Cameron or Puopolo is more appealing (if he’s ready).

I watched the replay again last night and I would give Shaz one more week in the VFL. I don't think a Howe "replacement" is crucial against the Roos.
If the :poo: hits the fan I would be putting our AA CHB in that position. Mayne also could do the job.

By the way I just wanted to say how good Caleb Daniel played on Sunday..........our team would be so much better if we had a player like him.
Maynard should watch this game and see that it isn't necessary to go for the "impossible" kick all the time.

Caleb always chooses the right options. You cant teach footy smarts.

In = Daicos
Out = Howe

Roughead > Brown
Moore > Larkey
Schaz > Wood
Maynard > Thomas/Simpkin
Aish > Zurhaar
Crisp > Garner

All their 'smalls' are like 187cm+, I dont see too many issues though Howe and Langdon would be handy with their extra height. Zurhaar has been in good form so put Aish on him in a super tight lock down role.

Zurhaar will destroy Aish. Way too big and strong. Maynard has to go to him

I wouldn't be throwing Mihocek into the backline. He is our 3rd highest goal scoring this year (2nd if you take away Stephenson who won't be there), and I think we need to find out about the 3 tall forwards.

From just purely the outside, and without knowing the GPS data and how his body has pulled up, you would think Scharenberg is ready to go after 3 VFL games and a pretty good stretch of training before that where he was running PB times etc. Getting 33 disposals is a pretty good sign he is fit I reckon.

Of course there is always Goldsack. I know his form hasn't been flash, but he is always an option. And dare i say it (I shudder as I say it), there is also Magden. Or the option of using Mayne down back...and if things get bad we can throw Reid down there for periods to help stem the tide.

I think it is important to keep experimenting the 3 tall forwards. However, I think part of that experiment also needs to be swinging Reid back when the momentum is against us, and also how we use Reid or Cox as the 2nd ruck. I think that's where the 3 tall forwards can be really strong, as it gives us in-game flexibility, and potentially the option to play 1 less tall down back in place of a quicker guy like Daicos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should get sponsored by Bunnings. Bunnings Dome. Has a certain horrific ring to it. Seems suitable.
And they can do the sausage sizzle on Sunday raising funds for a charity like North...,

:D

I watched the replay again last night and I would give Shaz one more week in the VFL. I don't think a Howe "replacement" is crucial against the Roos.
If the :poo: hits the fan I would be putting our AA CHB in that position. Mayne also could do the job.

By the way I just wanted to say how good Caleb Daniel played on Sunday..........our team would be so much better if we had a player like him.
Maynard should watch this game and see that it isn't necessary to go for the "impossible" kick all the time.

Caleb always chooses the right options. You cant teach footy smarts.

In = Daicos
Out = Howe
I've been wondering if Callum Brown could become our "Caleb Daniel"?

Different sort of players. Daniels was always a more than handy outside mid with good skills, Brown very much an inside mid so it needs to be about more than comparable heights.

I think we've recruited guys like IQ to resolve our HB distributor issues longer term. We also have others like Appleby, Murphy and T Brown who look like they'll offer cleaner D50 clearances

Little Daniel is a darn good player as he’d have to be for his size.
He seems to play well against us too.

Callum Brown is on his way. Very zippy.

B: Brayden Maynard, Jordan Roughead, Levi Greenwood
HB: Jack Crisp, Darcy Moore, Matthew Scharenberg
C: Tom Phillips, Scott Pendlebury, Chris Mayne
HF: Josh Thomas, Mason Cox, Will Hoskin-Elliott
F: Jordan De Goey, Brody Mihocek, Josh Daicos
FOL: Brodie Grundy, Adam Treloar, Steele Sidebottom
I/C: James Aish, Callum L. Brown, Ben Reid, Brayden Sier

Far be it for me to defend Thomas (given my posts on the forum about him) but I have watched the first half of the WB game so far and he was quite good. Seemed to really lift his game a notch and one of his best this year. Tackled, ran and defended much better than recent weeks.

For mine it may be Varcoe whose position may be in doubt this week.

I prefer Browny forward of the ball to be honest but I think he has the ability to play that role.

I actually think Browny has better hands than Daniel but Caleb has a better kick. Rarely misses by foot.

Scharenberg is good. But 31 games into his young career is quite simply not better then Howe. Yet.

Can he be better? Yeah. Given a free consistent run without injury. But right now, no way.
From what we've seen so far, it's an absurd suggestion. I'll cop it for this, but I'm not convinced that Shaz is or in our set up will ever be best 22. The best we've seen of him so far is well below the best of Moore, Roughhead, Howe and Langdon. Ideally, he has to surpass one of the first three as he doesn’t have the pace to play on the mediums or smalls that Langdon gets with our two talls defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back