Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Richmond (R19, Fri 26/07 7:50pm MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game was lost in the first. After that it was a 50/50 contest. A lot of guys were down, but there were a number who were dreadful primarily Appleby, Mayne, Varcoe, Crocker, Cox, IQ and the coaching group. I can’t remember the actual numbers, but I’d be shocked if those 6 gave us more than 8-10 possessions for the quarter and were completely exploited in key moments.

On that basis pending fitness:

In: Noble, Elliott and Greenwood
Out: Appleby, Varcoe and Crocker

It’s last chance saloon for Mayne, Cox and IQ survives only on the basis of a dearth of alternatives and team balance v Richmond.

On the coaching group the first quarter was pitiful. Two massive oversights stood out like the proverbial

1. Leaving Roughead on the ruckman while Cameron, Finlayson and Himmleburg ran amok. It was a decoy to draw one of our precious few talls down back away from the real targets.

2. Not plugging the holes to stem the bleeding. They kicked one goal on the fast break from a centre square stoppage so it’s beyond me why we didn’t throw Mihocek behind the ball in general play. We weren’t getting it forward of centre so that would have clogged up their forward half and got him involved.

Really disappointing to watch us get put to the sword like that without so much as a whimper...

The following players have to be in the firing line:

Appleby
Cox
Crocker
Mayne
Sier
Varcoe
WHE

Obviously we can't make 7 changes but its embarrassing that all of those players are in the 1s and some have been playing terribly for weeks without any repercussions. I can't see Cox, Mayne or WHE being dropped as for some reason they are untouchable. Not sure who is left in VFL seems just Daicos, Noble or Scharenburg? Really hope we get some returning from injury to replace that lot because we need it

Not Much in VFL today at Frankston to come In

Dave you’re a legend to go to the VFL after last night.

The first quarter was like men playing against boys......never seen our team take a backward step like that.

How is Schazza going?

So either we throw our hands up in the air and start dropping half the side because "the season's over" or, we take a deep breath and make some adjustments. Nothing is ever as bad or as good as it seems.
We got killed in the guts in the first quarter. Destroyed even. This wasn't so much for a lack of effort but cleanness (even Pendles made a bad fumble which I think resulted in a goal). Part of this can be attributed to Adams being 1st up after a spell and part of it can be put down to the midfield as a whole not turning up to play.
Adams needed the run and got better as the game went on. We looked a little better when Crisp went into the middle but it wasn't earth shattering stuff. The team needs to play Treloar on a wing and make the most of his assets.
Sier isn't playing with the same intensity that he had last year.
The ball movement remains static. All year we've played 2 accumulators through the wing (Mayne, Phillips) We can't do this anymore - if I could point to 1 thing that kills our ball movement, it's this. There probably is a spot for Mayne as a defensive forward (Houli?) this week which will offset the problem to a degree and I honestly don;t know what Phillip's long term future is.
I'm sad to say that Varcoe is close to the end, but I'd rather him than Crocker or THomas. Daicos would appear to be the only alternative at present and I have doubts about his speed.
I'd like Shaz in, but I don't see a match up this week
Greenwood has to come back if fit. As does Elliott.
There is no viable option to replace Cox

Out: Crocker, In: Elliott
Out: Appleby In: Greenwood
Out Sier In: Noble

NB: There's a case to be made to drop Phillips for Daicos we wouldn't gain a lot in speed and we'd lose a fair bit of gut running, but at least we'd be a little cleaner. Line ball call

Something that I want to see finally die is the meme that Varcoe "adds so much pressure around ground." He once did, and was one of our best in the finals last year, but it is so evident that his form has dropped off a cliff this year.

He did bugger all yesterday, and it is highly debatable whether he should have played in the first place. He was dropped for form issues two weeks ago, did nothing in the VFL, then missed a VFL game with his finger injury, then straight back to the seniors. Like, what?

And just on Appleby - I saw enough of him last year to be confident that he is a good player, and he was by far our best at the start of the season in the twos. The problem yesterday was based on match-ups, not Appleby's form. He shouldn't have been selected in the first place, but that's on the match committee, not Appleby.

The following players have to be in the firing line:

Appleby
Cox
Crocker
Mayne
Sier
Varcoe
WHE

Obviously we can't make 7 changes but its embarrassing that all of those players are in the 1s and some have been playing terribly for weeks without any repercussions. I can't see Cox, Mayne or WHE being dropped as for some reason they are untouchable. Not sure who is left in VFL seems just Daicos, Noble or Scharenburg? Really hope we get some returning from injury to replace that lot because we need it
All the rest were good?

Something that I want to see finally die is the meme that Varcoe "adds so much pressure around ground." He once did, and was one of our best in the finals last year, but it is so evident that his form has dropped off a cliff this year.

He did bugger all yesterday, and it is highly debatable whether he should have played in the first place. He was dropped for form issues two weeks ago, did nothing in the VFL, then missed a VFL game with his finger injury, then straight back to the seniors. Like, what?

And just on Appleby - I saw enough of him last year to be confident that he is a good player, and he was by far our best at the start of the season in the twos. The problem yesterday was based on match-ups, not Appleby's form. He shouldn't have been selected in the first place, but that's on the match committee, not Appleby.

He doesn't seem to be an intelligent player, pretty much cost us the VFL match the week before by giving away a stupid free kick in last few minutes. I was really surprised he was picked considering his VFL form.

Last edited:
There be lot more Richmond Fans there Friday Night then Collingwood Fans

Mate I get you are disappointed f#$& I was and I paid money to go and watch last night, but your negative comments all the time are so friggin painful. I enjoy reading big footy but after a loss it’s horrible chin up we will be back on the winners list next week

Mate I get you are disappointed f#$& I was and I paid money to go and watch last night, but your negative comments all the time are so friggin painful. I enjoy reading big footy but after a loss it’s horrible chin up we will be back on the winners list next week

Well that what the IGNORE BUTTON is there For

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly think we will win this one. They're back playing the same game style which we worked out and have beaten them at the last two times... comprehensively I might add.
If we play the same game style as the last 2 times then we will get smashed, can't go in predictable against what now appears to be the flag favorites

Game was lost in the first. After that it was a 50/50 contest. A lot of guys were down, but there were a number who were dreadful primarily Appleby, Mayne, Varcoe, Crocker, Cox, IQ and the coaching group. I can’t remember the actual numbers, but I’d be shocked if those 6 gave us more than 8-10 possessions for the quarter and were completely exploited in key moments.

On that basis pending fitness:

In: Noble, Elliott and Greenwood
Out: Appleby, Varcoe and Crocker

It’s last chance saloon for Mayne, Cox and IQ survives only on the basis of a dearth of alternatives and team balance v Richmond.

On the coaching group the first quarter was pitiful. Two massive oversights stood out like the proverbial

1. Leaving Roughead on the ruckman while Cameron, Finlayson and Himmleburg ran amok. It was a decoy to draw one of our precious few talls down back away from the real targets.

2. Not plugging the holes to stem the bleeding. They kicked one goal on the fast break from a centre square stoppage so it’s beyond me why we didn’t throw Mihocek behind the ball in general play. We weren’t getting it forward of centre so that would have clogged up their forward half and got him involved.

Really disappointing to watch us get put to the sword like that without so much as a whimper...

On the coaches I had the exact same thought. Why is Roughead on Mumford/Simpson? He should have been on Finlayson as the other tall starting forward. And why haven't we thrown Mihocek/WHE behind the ball as a spare in defence? If we can see it why can't they?

GWS struggle without space in their forward line as Richmond demonstrated a week earlier so throwing players behind the ball, pushing back from the wing, was a no brainer. The non selection of Shaz/Madgen over a small defender (Appleby most likely as the last in) also notable. They had an off week the coaches, like a hang over from the WCE game, where they were excellent. Such a Jekyl and Hyde performance.

It looks to me like we are desperate need of a small forward who can crumb and tackle..... Brown looks like he can but then goes missing.
Has anyone done that in the VFL? Does anyone know how Broomehead is playing?

It looks to me like we are desperate need of a small forward who can crumb and tackle..... Brown looks like he can but then goes missing.
Has anyone done that in the VFL? Does anyone know how Broomehead is playing?

He run around all day long, got a bit of it but didn't dominate. Probably can add more than others though.

My prediction for the match.

Treloar will get 38 non damaging possessions.
Cox will get 4 possessions and 2 free kicks which will result in 2 goals to keep his spot in the side.
Grundy, Sidebottom and Pendlebury to carry the entire team again.
Mayne and Varcoe will both play the JT role of wearing the invisibility cloak.
Jeremy Howe will take a great grab.
Crisp and Maynard will have a dip and not hold back and leave everything out there.
Brown will kick at least one crumbing goal.
IQ will have an even better game as he adjusts and realises he is actually a pretty decent player.
Sier will fade out after half time and have the best spectator seat in the stadium.
...and De Goey will miss a few gettable goals with some absolute brilliant patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back