Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Sydney Swans (Round 10, Fri 24/05 7:50pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's one thing to physically impose yourself in a tackle, another entirely to deliberately knee someone. Did Mummy line up Murphy? I'd say definitely. Was his intent to hurt him? I'd say definitely. Did he deliberately raise his knee into Murphy? I'd say no. Did he intend to break ribs by sticking his knee/thigh into the side of Murphy? I'd say not.

Really, I'm seeing it he threw a deliberate knee into his guts. He went in there with intent and followed through to my eyes.

Mumfords wasn’t worth a suspension... Murphy is a squib anyway, was nice to see him cop one. Varcoe’s was worth a week but Parker should have gotten a week as well. I don’t understand, players getting away with elbows to the head makes no sense.
Anyway:
In: Cox, Moore, De Goey & Adams
Out: Varcoe, Langdon, Greenwood & Brown.
Try the 3 tall set-up this game. If it doesn’t work, Reid will have to go next game. Guys, Sydney are garbage, clearly a bottom 4 team, with some handy inclusions we should belt them by 6-8 goals.

Cox has already been ruled out apparently and all of Adams, JDG and Moore need to get through training tomorrow to even be in the discussion. I understand the dropping of 4 players to include "better" players but at this stage, if none of those 4 get up and we know we'll be without Langdon and Varcoe, who do you think might be the next 2 in the pecking order? Crocker and Daicos named in the VFL bests.

Really, I'm seeing it he threw a deliberate knee into his guts. He went in there with intent and followed through to my eyes.
Definite possibility, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, he may have been trying to get low, but is a bit too tall and not balanced enough to get as low as he wanted.

If they had assessed the contact as careless, he still would have copped a week given hit was body contact, high impact. I would even argue severe impact given Murphy out for weeks. That would have taken it to 2+. So I guess Christian saw it as not being a classifiable offence.

Mummy always tackles with intent so there wasn't anything careless about it. In these instances of in-play incidental contact I don't think the outcome should/would even be a factor. He is allowed to tackle and to do so with intent, as long as there isn't head contact.

Nah, there was more intent with the right arm swinging through. I definitely didn't see it as him raising a knee in a deliberate action.

Cox has already been ruled out apparently and all of Adams, JDG and Moore need to get through training tomorrow to even be in the discussion. I understand the dropping of 4 players to include "better" players but at this stage, if none of those 4 get up and we know we'll be without Langdon and Varcoe, who do you think might be the next 2 in the pecking order? Crocker and Daicos named in the VFL bests.

With Langdon down we may see Quaynor get a run.

With Langdon down we may see Quaynor get a run.

I'm still hopeful Moore will get up and it'll be a strait swap but you assume if he doesn't then the "like-4-like" philosophy would have IQ firmly in the picture.

Star Magpie in line for shock early return against Swans

COLLINGWOOD midfielder Taylor Adams is in consideration for a shock recall against Sydney on Friday night, just three weeks after straining his adductor.
Initially expected to be sidelined until after the Pies' round 13 bye, Adams' last seven days of training has put him in the frame to return four weeks ahead of schedule.
The 25-year-old moved strongly and completed intense change of direction work in a 45-minute session on Monday morning at Olympic Park.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-20/star-magpie-in-line-for-shock-early-return-against-swans

The only downside being it's probably not Crock 'o' clock now :(

Downside?

I'm still hopeful Moore will get up and it'll be a strait swap but you assume if he doesn't then the "like-4-like" philosophy would have IQ firmly in the picture.

Is Appleby injured?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appeal Varcoe
It was not a head high tackle

He wasn't given a week for a high tackle. He was given a week for rough conduct/frontal contact.
You're not going to successfully overturn that unless you refer to Mumford.

Mummy always tackles with intent so there wasn't anything careless about it. In these instances of in-play incidental contact I don't think the outcome should/would even be a factor. He is allowed to tackle and to do so with intent, as long as there isn't head contact.
"Intentional tackling", "in-play incidental contact", are not explicitly considered under the MRO Guidelines. "Kneeing" "Rough Conduct" and "Charging" are considered as classifiable offences. As noted above, to have not cited Mumford, the MRO must not have considered what you call a tackle, but I call a knee to the ribcage, as a classifiable offence.

Unfortunately he isn't your Ablett or Fyfe. Will be given at least a week.

We should absolutely contest it - the ball was literally between his hands as he was reaching down to get it before it ricocheted off his boot and then Tom's boot which he had no time to react to.

His eyes were on the ball the entire time, he would have had no way if knowing that the other Phillips was crouching to pick up the ball in an unusual manner and there was clearly no bracing or intent to bump.

His opponent was also being tackled at the time which was behind his control, although they was a minor factor.

Varcoe was actually first to the ball when you look at the footage and clearly didn't run past it to bump so this should be contested and subsequently thrown out by the tribunal because there is
no way that should even have been cited - it was a free kick and nothing more.

Last edited:
We should absolutely contest it - the ball was literally between his hands as he was reaching down to get it a split second before he saw the contact coming and braces himself.

His opponent was also being tackled at the time which was behind his control.

No way that should even have been cited - it was a free kick and nothing more.

I completely agree. However, Bucks ruled out the challenge this morning. :(

In - Moore, Adams, DeGoey, Sier

Out - Langdon, Brown, Wills, Varcoe

People will say we can't drop 4 players when we are winning but our last two weeks have been poor. We are in the Premiership window you don't carry players because of 'trying hard' or 'showing something' on the back of low possessions. If we have guns to come in, we play them.

Maybe. But not sure with greenwood playing down back, and by bringing back Moore.

Might be a bit harsh on Greenwood because he's been ok but that was the move I was thinking of - Greenwood out for Quaynor.

Could also make a case for Wills out for Quaynor although that again would be a little harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back