Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Sydney Swans (Round 10, Fri 24/05 7:50pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how Madgen would get a game ahead of Goldsack. Particularly against the Swans. It just makes no sense to me.
You don’t understand how the guy playing as a key defender in the reserves is getting a game over a guy playing forward (and barely touching the ball I might add) when we need a defender?

For me they will look at what they think they will get and at moment I'd assume no Franklin. My matchups would be;

Hawyard - Crisp
Blakey - Maynard
Reid - Roughead
McCartin - Howe
papley - Aish

Florent / Parker and Heeney will rotate through as well and I would have Greenwood take them as they rolled forward.

If they want cover then the only real option is Goldsack or Quaynor but I dont see a match up for him other than Papley or Hayward so not sure this is the week to do it.

Therefore I think the 'ins' will come from two of Daicos, Wells, Sier, Goldsack, Crocker or Quaynor.

For me I'd take Goldsack as defensive cover and then probably Daicos or Wells.

i also dont think its out of the question that Brown and Wills dont come under watch but I suspect 2 changes is as many as they want.

What you say is right; but the Wills team place is on a teeter tot, he’s just holding on currently.
He will need to solidify at this stage; and if as you suggest he remains, then this will be an opportunity for him.

Looks great we have such competition for spots even with injuries starting to climb.

(I do declare I am biased for Sier. So that’s a fair call. But I admit it at least :))

Indeed it's great to see such passion and support for a player. I also think the point you make about competition for spots being very important. While we never want to lose games or experience the challenges associated with covering injured players, it should also provide us with the opportunity to expose a large portion of our list to senior footy should they need to be called upon down the track.

Sydney was very poor last week and though the threat of their forward line is real, their midfield is average at best due to the lack of balance between inside and outside. They haven't scored more than 81 points from a quick glance over the past two months. That has coincided with the absence of Franklin but even still we should be able to find a way to kick 15 goals which should be enough to win the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep you would have to say Wells in for DeGoey and Madgen in for Langdon.

Surely if Wells travels there he is playing.

B - Howe Roughead Greenwood
HB - Maynard Madgen Crisp
C - Sidebottom Pendlebury Phillips
HF - Wells Mihochek WHE
F - Thomas Reid Stephenson
R - Grundy Beams Treloar
INT - Brown Aish Mayne Wills

Our weakest line up for the year no doubt.

As mentioned in another post, if Franklin doesnt play I would play Quaynor over Madgen.

No DeGoey, Adams, Moore, Langdon, Cox, Elliott, Sier or Varcoe who I all consider best 22.

Where does T Browne get his info? You would think Goldsack would play ahead of Madgen, unless The Sack is injured as well. I dont Madgen has really done anything at VFL level this year, so far..Wells l thought was a given, and DeGoey to rest, if he risks further injury.

Has Goldsack? Madgen has been our preferred KPD and from what I can gather has been doing his job. Not sure we need him to do anymore at senior level if he does get a call up. Had 16-17 possessions, 8 marks (3 contested), and a couple of tackles against Sandy and among our bests, backed it up with a dozen possessions, 4 marks and a few tackles against the Cats last week so his form has been okay. Buzza did kick a bag but I think we tried a number of opponents against him and the issue was more about the Cats midfield dominance and forward entry. Those there might add more to the discussion.

You don’t understand how the guy playing as a key defender in the reserves is getting a game over a guy playing forward (and barely touching the ball I might add) when we need a defender?
Goldsack trained as a forward last year prior to doing his ACL and came in as a defender out of necessity.

Aish played as a wingman prior to doing his PCL last year and came in as a defender out of necessity.

Strings to the bow - just because they're one thing at one point doesn't mean they can't be asked to play a different role.

Madgen and Wills both being in is a touch worrying but back them in to play their role. Pies by 24

I think Madgen is a bit too disregarded on this board. Last year for a kid who hadn't played footy for years, I thought he looked OK. Hopefully, he surprises a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back