Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Sydney Swans (Round 10, Fri 24/05 7:50pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheGreatGrundy

Brownlow Medallist
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Posts
12,092
Location
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You think? It looked to me like he was attacking the ball then turned to protect himself when he realised he would be second to it. Not only that, but did he collect Phillips in the head? Looked like he got his shoulder on the replay I saw.
Dermie says he's gone.
 

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Joined
Aug 20, 2009
Posts
11,715
Location
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Reid/Cox debate isn't clear. Reid is much better bellow the legs and in close. I like mike123 changes with Cox in and Reid maintaining his spot.

Play them both
Id play them both with no hesitation. Witg our current team, when you factor in rotations, we only have the preferred 2 4 forsard set up for about 60% of the game and have 1 5 for the other 40%. Play Reid in the rotation, give Grundy a lighter load, get Mihocek or Reid to rotate for Moore's interchange minutes. Bingo 2 4 for the whole match. No extra midfield rotation burden because all you've done is use a tall to cover the tall rotations, rather than using a small.
 

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Joined
Aug 20, 2009
Posts
11,715
Location
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
In regards to Varcoe I think that if the club can prove he was attempting to pick up the ball he will get off. By the letter of the law it says if you choose to bump and collect someone in the head then you’re guilty but I don’t think he chose to bump. He chose to go in hard and collect the ball and at the same time he accidentally made high contact. They are two totally different actions.
He chose to bump. There was a bloke with head over the ball. He's in trouble. His only hope is a bit of AFL corruption to have him playing indigenous round.
 

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheGreatGrundy

Brownlow Medallist
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Posts
12,092
Location
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a different moral landscape that we all live in now.
True but not all of us took advantage of a lack of morality on the football field in times past. Not that I or most other folk had any opportunity to throw our bodies around with willful force at AFL or any senior level. You can't do much damage from a comfy chair or on your back on a couch.
 

Saintly Viewed

bear time
Joined
Aug 10, 2015
Posts
44,905
AFL Club
Collingwood
So for the changes we can make this week.

Firstly what do we know with some certainty.

De Goey and Moore should be returning.
Cox more than likely.

Who can force their way in to the side?
Suggest Sier.

So who is an out?
Langdon must be in some doubt?
Varcoe looks like a holiday is arriving for him, such as the game calls for these days.

Hence:

Moore for Langdon.
De Goey for Varcoe.

That’s the simple part.

Do we make more changes than our style of lesser changes?
How do we make room for Cox and Sier?

Suggest the change will be made and Sier replaces Wills.
Simple straight forward swap with our side improving on known player quality.

Now for the great Cox v Reid discussion. Unknown what they do. But I feel,they really prefer Cox in.
Do they move Brown or Greenwood or Aish and play the three talls?

Game of Talls?


v Sydney

B. Maynard ~ Roughead ~ Greenwood
HB. Crisp ~ Moore ~ Howe
C. Sidebottom ~ Beams ~ Phillips
HF. De Goey ~ Reid ~ Stephenson
F. Hoskin-Elliott ~ Cox ~ Thomas
R. Grundy ~ Pendlebury (c) ~ Treloar
I. Mihocek ~ Sier ~ Mayne ~ Aish

E. Wills, Brown, Crocker, Quaynor

In: De Goey, Moore, Sier, Cox
Out: Langdon (injured), Varcoe (suspended), Wills, Brown.
 

Robroy22

Premiership Player
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Posts
4,907
Location
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think they'll limit the changes to the two you first mooted Saint. Moore for Langdon and DeGoey for Varcs if he's outed. I think Bucks will set Wills the task of Kennedy and leave Reid in until he plays a shocker.
 

3rdMan

Team Captain
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Posts
324
Location
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Id play them both with no hesitation. Witg our current team, when you factor in rotations, we only have the preferred 2 4 forsard set up for about 60% of the game and have 1 5 for the other 40%. Play Reid in the rotation, give Grundy a lighter load, get Mihocek or Reid to rotate for Moore's interchange minutes. Bingo 2 4 for the whole match. No extra midfield rotation burden because all you've done is use a tall to cover the tall rotations, rather than using a small.
There's some chance of Reid/Cox/Mihoceck working, but I don't like it and would only consider it if JDG was out (ie. play Reid ahead of Wills).

As you say, we oscillate between a 2 tall and 1 tall forward lineup, but I like that. Our one tall lineups with JDG, Stevo, WHE, Elliott in the square are fantastic. You can still do that with two tall forwards on the field but not so easily, there's always a chance they'd get in the way. De Goey and WHE play fairly tall anyway without the mobility issues of a tall.

I feel we become more predictable if we always have two talls in our forward line. Also slower and less mobile. For mine, our talls aren't good enough to play the extra, and our mediums are so good that they need to be given priority, our talls are the role players.
 

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Joined
Aug 20, 2009
Posts
11,715
Location
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
As you say, we oscillate between a 2 tall and 1 tall forward lineup, but I like that. Our one tall lineups with JDG, Stevo, WHE, Elliott in the square are fantastic. You can still do that with two tall forwards on the field but not so easily, there's always a chance they'd get in the way. De Goey and WHE play fairly tall anyway without the mobility issues of a tall.
When we have two talls up forward, we generally still have JDG or Stephenson starting in the square, becasue they are just so awesome.

Perhaps you're right - the 1 5 may work better for us than the 2 4. I hadn't really thought about that being a possibility, because you hear a bit about us preferring the 2 4 structure. I'd hope that the club has done a bit of analysis of data to see which set up is actually more effective for us.

I'm more just pointing out if we go with Reid, Cox and Mihocek in the 22, it doesn't necessitate a 3 3 forward line for much of the game, and that at the moment we actually only have the 2 4 forward line for a bit over half the game. If we want to maintain a 2 4, we actually need to play a tall on the bench as part of the rotation, but if the 1 5 is actually more dangerous than the 2 4, then you wouldn't consider playing all 3 of them. My vibe test suggests we don't look quite as good when Cox is off or in the ruck, but that could just be me having grown up in the era were KPFs were king and I love seeing the big blokes clunking big marks.
 

Jafo

Club Legend
Joined
Oct 12, 2016
Posts
1,020
AFL Club
Collingwood
When we have two talls up forward, we generally still have JDG or Stephenson starting in the square, becasue they are just so awesome.

Perhaps you're right - the 1 5 may work better for us than the 2 4. I hadn't really thought about that being a possibility, because you hear a bit about us preferring the 2 4 structure. I'd hope that the club has done a bit of analysis of data to see which set up is actually more effective for us.

I'm more just pointing out if we go with Reid, Cox and Mihocek in the 22, it doesn't necessitate a 3 3 forward line for much of the game, and that at the moment we actually only have the 2 4 forward line for a bit over half the game. If we want to maintain a 2 4, we actually need to play a tall on the bench as part of the rotation, but if the 1 5 is actually more dangerous than the 2 4, then you wouldn't consider playing all 3 of them. My vibe test suggests we don't look quite as good when Cox is off or in the ruck, but that could just be me having grown up in the era were KPFs were king and I love seeing the big blokes clunking big marks.
Soon see how good your vibe is. Or call it the legislation, call it the Mabo. Actually, maybe not against Sydney. The vibe will be just fine 👍🏽
 

Shpeshal Ed

I see you on televishaaaaan!
Joined
Sep 17, 2007
Posts
23,515
Location
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Regardless of Reid's form against St.Kilda, I wouldn't have dropped him anyway for Sydney. Swans have a very short backline and having Cox, Reid and Mihocek all in could really overpower them.

Out: Langdon, Varcoe (I assume will be suspended), Wills, Brown
In: Moore, Cox, De Goey, Sier
 

MJC23

Premium Gold
Joined
Mar 16, 2016
Posts
478
AFL Club
Collingwood
This season has a lot of 2011 about it in regards to us treading water for 3 qtrs and then blowing a team out of the water with quick bursts to win the game. Obviously not as brutal as the 2011 blowouts but still some similarities. We need to start showing some consistent 4 qtr efforts before we hit the block of our fixture when it gets a bit tough with West Coast, Richmond and GWS or else they will be the ones who blow us away.

Anyway for this week:

In: Moore, De Goey, Sier, Cox
Out: Langdon, Varcoe, Wills, Reid/Brown

This is assuming Varcoe gets suspended. If he doesn't then Thomas might be in a bit of trouble. Tough call for who to drop for Cox as Reid has played 2 good games out of 3 in the senior side and Brown is just starting to find his feet and could be valuable against the Swans in what will be a highly contested and congested game on the small SCG.

Some good problems to have with competition for spots. Just need to hope the guys mentioned as ins are ready to go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom