Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Sydney Swans (Round 10, Fri 24/05 7:50pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
In regards to Varcoe I think that if the club can prove he was attempting to pick up the ball he will get off. By the letter of the law it says if you choose to bump and collect someone in the head then you’re guilty but I don’t think he chose to bump. He chose to go in hard and collect the ball and at the same time he accidentally made high contact. They are two totally different actions.
....and if his name was Ablett it would help

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
Moore and de Goey back. Varcoe suspended and Langdon needs a rest with that knee

Reid needs continuity to harden his body, plus the way he played I wouldn't drop him anyway

In regards to Varcoe I think that if the club can prove he was attempting to pick up the ball he will get off. By the letter of the law it says if you choose to bump and collect someone in the head then you’re guilty but I don’t think he chose to bump. He chose to go in hard and collect the ball and at the same time he accidentally made high contact. They are two totally different actions.
At least initially looking at the footy, hands low - he looked to be going for the ball. We might also be able to argue that Tom Phillips' momentum played a part in driving his brother lower and towards Varcoe albeit Ed Phillips already had his head down.

Varcoe’s gone. He won’t be available until post QB.
You think? It looked to me like he was attacking the ball then turned to protect himself when he realised he would be second to it. Not only that, but did he collect Phillips in the head? Looked like he got his shoulder on the replay I saw.

omen_au

Senior List
Oct 2, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pistons, Liverpool
Who has Cox ahead of Reid? Didnt get to see the game but saw he kicked 3. Seeing as reid is so much more mobile than cox and seems to be kicking about the same lately Id have reidy ahead of cox but not sure how you guys see it.

Me. Cox is better relieving Grundy which we need we can’t afford to run. Grundy into the ground.

As for mobility Reid is slightly ahead but not enough for me if I had to choose one not to go with Cox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
If Varcoe gets a week for that it's bullshit. Eyes on the footy the whole time and the player had the life sucked out of him, but got back up.

Phillips shirked some contests today which was disappointing - usually it's his disposal that's the issue.

As for the Pig , I need to check the replay but from my vantage point I could've sworn I saw him basically running on the spot while a bloke a few metres away ran into an open goal. Looked really weird but maybe the sun was in my eyes :)
The MCG was very hazy yesterday so maybe that’s how you missed it?

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Reid doesn't have the strength to hold himself steady as a key defender anymore - most key forwards would out-body him without too much fuss. Still has great hands does Reid but a lot more is needed at full-back than some good hands. Roughead is the far more reliable defender at the moment.

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Varcoe and Langdon surely outs...

Depends who is right to come back...

JDG and Moore hopefully ins.

Pretty much this. If Cox is right to go, bring him back through the VFL, Reid doesn't deserve to be dropped and we can't play the extra tall at the SCG especially if Wills stays in the side.

Wouldn't mind seeing us blood IQ on Queen's Birthday.

kickitolachie

Nogrey
Sep 19, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man U
Guessing Moore for Langdon and potentially Degoey for Varcoe IF suspended, otherwise it will be Wills or Brown. I feel we may see Degoey rested again and it will be only one forced change being Langdon out for Moore.

Am I the only person that feels Reid should take Rougheads place in the backline and Cox back in the side as FWD / backup ruck? Rough has been solid however Reid is an all Australian defender and in great form, Cox too good of a backup ruck and contested mark to leave out. Wouldnt mind seeing this at least trialled for a week v swans or dockers although I understand chances are slim given he has trained as a fwd for some time.
Many of us look at Reid's history and wonder why the club is so determined that he is a forward now. Same for Goldsack really. They must know something that is not obvious to the likes of me.
Roughead hasn't done anything to warrant dropping him. His only real weakness is a lack of pace, so that he gets beaten on the lead at times. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes in contests, and his kicking is very reliable. Given that others back there are a little iffy with their kicking, he is not one I would be replacing without very serious thought.
If De Goey is fit, he has to come back. Likewise Moore. Next is Elliott, then Adams. Spaces have to be found for all of these when they are fit, and an arrangement to allow Cox to be the second ruck has to be concocted. Reid is not satisfactory in this role. Selection is a tough business.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
You think? It looked to me like he was attacking the ball then turned to protect himself when he realised he would be second to it. Not only that, but did he collect Phillips in the head? Looked like he got his shoulder on the replay I saw.

No QB is three away. He’ll cop one at least, two if it’s graded as intentional, and I doubt he breaks back into the team immediately with Adams, JDG and Moore all to return shortly, Elliott roughly back around then and Sier building momentum.

Absolutely. I would abandon all thought of the contact being graded as anything other than to the head.

Best case scenario it’ll be head contact, low impact and careless which is the same as Cox’s was argued down to, but this’ll be the same as Durdin’s case.

A week on the sidelines at a minimum and he’ll find it very hard to break back in without further injuries. Especially because I overlooked Wells too.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I wouldn't be messing with Roughead at full back. He's starting to look comfortable back there. Assured even. Which is great given he started shakily. He'll get beaten on the lead from time to time, however our upfield structure that pressures the ball carrier and slows down movement, and our good defensive shape helps ensure that isn't exposed often. He's been a great story for us this season.

giphy.gif

Omitted before Aish, Greenwood, Varcoe or Phillips? :drunk::drunk::drunk:
Your assertation that Brown and Wills were far better than Varcoe is ridiculous.

Who has Cox ahead of Reid? Didnt get to see the game but saw he kicked 3. Seeing as reid is so much more mobile than cox and seems to be kicking about the same lately Id have reidy ahead of cox but not sure how you guys see it.
I have. They have different attributes which in terms of fwd line cohesion would suit some players more then others.
With DeGoey and Elliott out, who are also very ball demanding, Reids mobility came in handy
Cox still draws 2 defenders. I don't see that same aerial threat from Reid. Reid is indeed more mobile which helps our unpredictability.
However nothing wrong with kicking it to a 7ft giant knowing the ball can only be marked or brought to ground.
Cox by far the better relief ruck and tap work.
Last but not least, Reid is more injury prone. Sorry to say but 3 games doesn't make a successful return from injury.

So I would put it not on who is front but who they are playing with.
With DeGoey in and Elliott, Cox would be my choice, otherwise we just clog up the fwd line .
Without DeGoey/Elliott, preferably Reid but there is a case for both Cox and Reid.

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
While I’m not convinced about Wills yet, Sydney is a slow midfield team and I would give him a game on Kennedy to see if he is capable.
Cox should come in and give Grundy a rest.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
While I’m not convinced about Wills yet, Sydney is a slow midfield team and I would give him a game on Kennedy to see if he is capable.
Cox should come in and give Grundy a rest.

Is Kennedy a likely in next week? I had actually pondered the bolded, but I doubt we go that way and the tune of Buckley’s presser indicated Cox would remain on the sidelines.

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is Kennedy a likely in next week? I had actually pondered the bolded, but I doubt we go that way and the tune of Buckley’s presser indicated Cox would remain on the sidelines.
He is not listed on their injury list. You don’t take risks with form but it’s a long season and you want the team firing in September. I’m torn on rotations. I think we need to explore them.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Spare him the trip and give Moore the extra week off if remotely iffy with the ankle.

Bring in Goldsack. Roughead, Goldsack, Howe should be enough to handle S Reid and a barely fit and much less mobile Buddy.

Likewise rest De goey with his lower leg soreness if need be

Pacman Carney

All Australian
Aug 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
My biggest concern at this stage is whether we'll be unlucky enough to cop Basil on the commentary.

He was as horrendous as always on the Essendon vs Sydney game last Friday night.

Yep, Friday night we will.
He flies out of Perth each Friday morning to do Saturday & Sunday sunrise.
This year if 7 do a Friday or Saturday Sydney game, he’s it.
No doubt he’s practising his puns as we speak (type)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back