Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Sydney Swans (Round 10, Fri 24/05 7:50pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reid/Cox debate isn't clear. Reid is much better bellow the legs and in close. I like mike123 changes with Cox in and Reid maintaining his spot.

Play them both
Id play them both with no hesitation. Witg our current team, when you factor in rotations, we only have the preferred 2 4 forsard set up for about 60% of the game and have 1 5 for the other 40%. Play Reid in the rotation, give Grundy a lighter load, get Mihocek or Reid to rotate for Moore's interchange minutes. Bingo 2 4 for the whole match. No extra midfield rotation burden because all you've done is use a tall to cover the tall rotations, rather than using a small.

In regards to Varcoe I think that if the club can prove he was attempting to pick up the ball he will get off. By the letter of the law it says if you choose to bump and collect someone in the head then you’re guilty but I don’t think he chose to bump. He chose to go in hard and collect the ball and at the same time he accidentally made high contact. They are two totally different actions.
He chose to bump. There was a bloke with head over the ball. He's in trouble. His only hope is a bit of AFL corruption to have him playing indigenous round.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Funny this is the week Carlton go horribly..,

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dermie says he's gone.
I’m just dissapointed he didn’t get more kudos for all but taking out both Phillips...

That’s real deal stuff.

Three points in a canon in billiards as it were.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Get your Tom and Eds right Saintly.
What have I done... Phillips SV Phillips.

I just wanted to “reward” Varcoe for bopping a double act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a different moral landscape that we all live in now.
True but not all of us took advantage of a lack of morality on the football field in times past. Not that I or most other folk had any opportunity to throw our bodies around with willful force at AFL or any senior level. You can't do much damage from a comfy chair or on your back on a couch.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
So for the changes we can make this week.

Firstly what do we know with some certainty.

De Goey and Moore should be returning.
Cox more than likely.

Who can force their way in to the side?
Suggest Sier.

So who is an out?
Langdon must be in some doubt?
Varcoe looks like a holiday is arriving for him, such as the game calls for these days.

Hence:

Moore for Langdon.
De Goey for Varcoe.

That’s the simple part.

Do we make more changes than our style of lesser changes?
How do we make room for Cox and Sier?

Suggest the change will be made and Sier replaces Wills.
Simple straight forward swap with our side improving on known player quality.

Now for the great Cox v Reid discussion. Unknown what they do. But I feel,they really prefer Cox in.
Do they move Brown or Greenwood or Aish and play the three talls?

Game of Talls?

v Sydney

B. Maynard ~ Roughead ~ Greenwood
HB. Crisp ~ Moore ~ Howe
C. Sidebottom ~ Beams ~ Phillips
HF. De Goey ~ Reid ~ Stephenson
F. Hoskin-Elliott ~ Cox ~ Thomas
R. Grundy ~ Pendlebury (c) ~ Treloar
I. Mihocek ~ Sier ~ Mayne ~ Aish

E. Wills, Brown, Crocker, Quaynor

In: De Goey, Moore, Sier, Cox
Out: Langdon (injured), Varcoe (suspended), Wills, Brown.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
I think they'll limit the changes to the two you first mooted Saint. Moore for Langdon and DeGoey for Varcs if he's outed. I think Bucks will set Wills the task of Kennedy and leave Reid in until he plays a shocker.

3rdMan

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Id play them both with no hesitation. Witg our current team, when you factor in rotations, we only have the preferred 2 4 forsard set up for about 60% of the game and have 1 5 for the other 40%. Play Reid in the rotation, give Grundy a lighter load, get Mihocek or Reid to rotate for Moore's interchange minutes. Bingo 2 4 for the whole match. No extra midfield rotation burden because all you've done is use a tall to cover the tall rotations, rather than using a small.
There's some chance of Reid/Cox/Mihoceck working, but I don't like it and would only consider it if JDG was out (ie. play Reid ahead of Wills).

As you say, we oscillate between a 2 tall and 1 tall forward lineup, but I like that. Our one tall lineups with JDG, Stevo, WHE, Elliott in the square are fantastic. You can still do that with two tall forwards on the field but not so easily, there's always a chance they'd get in the way. De Goey and WHE play fairly tall anyway without the mobility issues of a tall.

I feel we become more predictable if we always have two talls in our forward line. Also slower and less mobile. For mine, our talls aren't good enough to play the extra, and our mediums are so good that they need to be given priority, our talls are the role players.

As you say, we oscillate between a 2 tall and 1 tall forward lineup, but I like that. Our one tall lineups with JDG, Stevo, WHE, Elliott in the square are fantastic. You can still do that with two tall forwards on the field but not so easily, there's always a chance they'd get in the way. De Goey and WHE play fairly tall anyway without the mobility issues of a tall.

When we have two talls up forward, we generally still have JDG or Stephenson starting in the square, becasue they are just so awesome.

Perhaps you're right - the 1 5 may work better for us than the 2 4. I hadn't really thought about that being a possibility, because you hear a bit about us preferring the 2 4 structure. I'd hope that the club has done a bit of analysis of data to see which set up is actually more effective for us.

I'm more just pointing out if we go with Reid, Cox and Mihocek in the 22, it doesn't necessitate a 3 3 forward line for much of the game, and that at the moment we actually only have the 2 4 forward line for a bit over half the game. If we want to maintain a 2 4, we actually need to play a tall on the bench as part of the rotation, but if the 1 5 is actually more dangerous than the 2 4, then you wouldn't consider playing all 3 of them. My vibe test suggests we don't look quite as good when Cox is off or in the ruck, but that could just be me having grown up in the era were KPFs were king and I love seeing the big blokes clunking big marks.

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
When we have two talls up forward, we generally still have JDG or Stephenson starting in the square, becasue they are just so awesome.

Perhaps you're right - the 1 5 may work better for us than the 2 4. I hadn't really thought about that being a possibility, because you hear a bit about us preferring the 2 4 structure. I'd hope that the club has done a bit of analysis of data to see which set up is actually more effective for us.

I'm more just pointing out if we go with Reid, Cox and Mihocek in the 22, it doesn't necessitate a 3 3 forward line for much of the game, and that at the moment we actually only have the 2 4 forward line for a bit over half the game. If we want to maintain a 2 4, we actually need to play a tall on the bench as part of the rotation, but if the 1 5 is actually more dangerous than the 2 4, then you wouldn't consider playing all 3 of them. My vibe test suggests we don't look quite as good when Cox is off or in the ruck, but that could just be me having grown up in the era were KPFs were king and I love seeing the big blokes clunking big marks.
Soon see how good your vibe is. Or call it the legislation, call it the Mabo. Actually, maybe not against Sydney. The vibe will be just fine 👍🏽

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Regardless of Reid's form against St.Kilda, I wouldn't have dropped him anyway for Sydney. Swans have a very short backline and having Cox, Reid and Mihocek all in could really overpower them.

Out: Langdon, Varcoe (I assume will be suspended), Wills, Brown
In: Moore, Cox, De Goey, Sier

This season has a lot of 2011 about it in regards to us treading water for 3 qtrs and then blowing a team out of the water with quick bursts to win the game. Obviously not as brutal as the 2011 blowouts but still some similarities. We need to start showing some consistent 4 qtr efforts before we hit the block of our fixture when it gets a bit tough with West Coast, Richmond and GWS or else they will be the ones who blow us away.

Anyway for this week:

In: Moore, De Goey, Sier, Cox
Out: Langdon, Varcoe, Wills, Reid/Brown

This is assuming Varcoe gets suspended. If he doesn't then Thomas might be in a bit of trouble. Tough call for who to drop for Cox as Reid has played 2 good games out of 3 in the senior side and Brown is just starting to find his feet and could be valuable against the Swans in what will be a highly contested and congested game on the small SCG.

Some good problems to have with competition for spots. Just need to hope the guys mentioned as ins are ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back