Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Western Bulldogs (R14, Sun 23/06 3:20pm MRVL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Thanks Fruit. That would be ridiculous if he got suspended under those circumstances. He'd be wise to withdraw himself from the betting syndicate if it is the case that he has little discretion about what bets are being placed. Given Stevo could be considered to have inside information about selection news etc, he can't be in something which is betting on AFL football games without placing himself at risk.

Stevo still playing as far as we know.

You'd assume there'll be some announcement toward that today but does the club better placed starting a self imposed suspension this week (a la Murray) or waiting for a formal decree from the AFL.

Ricky Nixon has an interesting version of events on Twitter. If true it would definitely be at the lighter end of punishment.
“Is this the real Stephenson Story. He was in a horse racing syndicate with deadbeat mates who made a bet St. Kilda v Coll for Capt to have 30 poss or more a few weeks passed b4 his mate told him. He then went to the club & self reported. AFL think he didn’t do anything untoward”

We'll have to wait for the full story but if it went down like this then you'd expect no more than a fine.

I’d be bringing in Reid and Daicos but I know that Shocker (Crocker) will come in. He’s been tried and failed but I can see the club saying “like for like.” for Stephenson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out Stephenson
In: reid

It’s time to trial the Cox/Reid/Mihocek forward line against a small defence.

Not sure I agree about that logic.

It concerns me that on the week we lose our best pressure forward we could potentially replace him with our worst! There should be no chance Reid comes in to replace Stephenson, but it’s Collingwood so who know’s.

I’m concerned about the loss of pressure as well but I think the extra tall will help relieve the pressure on our mids up the ground. Reid coming in also allows Cox more time in the ruck and Grundy more time on the bench. I think the contests up forward the extra tall will create will help bring Varcoe and Thomas into the game. Also I think the extra tall restricts the oppositions ability to match up on De Goey and Mihocek.

Thankfully WHE has hit some form recently. He can share the deep forward role with JDG.

I'd bring in Daicos for the high half forward role that WHE has been playing.

I guess that Crocker is the other alternative for that role but i reckon Daicos deserves the call up with his better form in the VFL.

I’m concerned about the loss of pressure as well but I think the extra tall will help relieve the pressure on our mids up the ground. Reid coming in also allows Cox more time in the ruck and Grundy more time on the bench. I think the contests up forward the extra tall will create will help bring Varcoe and Thomas into the game. Also I think the extra tall restricts the oppositions ability to match up on De Goey and Mihocek.

It has to be tried. Reid is not what he was, but then again, he was a AA key position. Even a good B player might stretch a lot of defences.

I didn't watch all of the Doggies game last week against the Blues, and those bits I did watch I wasn't overly concentrating on the game, but didn't the Blues have all of McKay, Curnow, Casboult and McGovern in the F50 during the game? Did it work for them? My recollection is that the Doggies cut them up on the rebound mainly due to McKay and Casboult's lack of speed, and Curnow and McGovern's lack of intent. Take out, when on, the Doggies transition the footy at speed and with precision. Just as we could exploit their lack of tall defensive options by loading up on talls, it could just as well back fire and they could punish our lack of F50 pressure.

As crazy as it sounds could we try IQ in a forward pressure role ? Hes obviously quick and does have good foot skills from the little I've seen ? It could help him adapt to a role without being so heavily relied on in defence especially when our backline is pretty well sorted for now.

I didn't watch all of the Doggies game last week against the Blues, and those bits I did watch I wasn't overly concentrating on the game, but didn't the Blues have all of McKay, Curnow, Casboult and McGovern in the F50 during the game? Did it work for them? My recollection is that the Doggies cut them up on the rebound mainly due to McKay and Casboult's lack of speed, and Curnow and McGovern's lack of intent. Take out, when on, the Doggies transition the footy at speed and with precision. Just as we could exploit their lack of tall defensive options by loading up on talls, it could just as well back fire and they could punish our lack of F50 pressure.
That’s a good point but I think Cox,
Mihocek, Reid and De Goey are collectively better than Mckay, Casboult, Curnow and McGovern so I think there’s less chance on so there more chance of them taking advantage of mismatches rather than it backfiring.

Any other time I could get on board, but not this week. You’re asking for trouble when it hits the ground! At least against a WC, Essendon or Geelong we won’t get carved up if our average talls don’t dominate in the air, but against the Doggies at Marvel without Stephenson its a risk you don’t need to take with Daicos an obvious alternative.

As crazy as it sounds could we try IQ in a forward pressure role ? Hes obviously quick and does have good foot skills from the little I've seen ? It could help him adapt to a role without being so heavily relied on in defence especially when our backline is pretty well sorted for now.

You're right, it does sound crazy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back