Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Western Bulldogs (R14, Sun 23/06 3:20pm MRVL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Does this mean change our attack style that has worked for 1 and a half seasons and almost delivered a premiership?
I’d argue having one less tall cost us against west coast.

Harry O

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think the big confusion for most on here is they don’t realise Mihocek is no more a key forward than De Goey is.
His key strengths are mobility, ground balls and ground coverage

Reid is a good inclusion against the Dogs whose tall defenders are weak

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reids retirement can't come soon enough. At least clubs like Hawthorn have the balls to drop cooked players while the Pies are still a boys club.

Club can't see it, but he is a handicap to the forward line

Reid isn’t cooked if you have watched him this year without your blinkers.

I think the big confusion for most on here is they don’t realise Mihocek is no more a key forward than De Goey is.
His key strengths are mobility, ground balls and ground coverage

Reid is a good inclusion against the Dogs whose tall defenders are weak
I’d be surprised if his mobility is anything special compared to small to mid forwards.

That said, Mihocek kind of is a taller model of 2010 Brent Macaffer with more scoreboard influence and a better ability to play tall.

Reid isn’t cooked if you have watched him this year without your blinkers.
Reid’s been decent himself but our forwardline seems to function a lot less effectively with him there than say a Cox. This week with three talls (if we go in as named) will be interesting but I think we’ll find we lose the ability to lock the ball in our forward line (worsened by losing Stephenson already) will be a huge threat to our chances, particularly as the Bulldogs have a decent enough midfield that has already shown it’s capable of getting on top of our mids even with Grundy rucking.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reid’s been decent himself but our forwardline seems to function a lot less effectively with him there than say a Cox. This week with three talls (if we go in as named) will be interesting but I think we’ll find we lose the ability to lock the ball in our forward line (worsened by losing Stephenson already) will be a huge threat to our chances, particularly as the Bulldogs have a decent enough midfield that has already shown it’s capable of getting on top of our mids even with Grundy rucking.

Reid deserves another shot (Daicos is also stiff) but I think Libbas absence offsets Stepho’s.......looking forward to this game.

Reid deserves another shot (Daicos is also stiff) but I think Libbas absence offsets Stepho’s.......looking forward to this game.
Yeah I agree, on Reid’s form in isolation that he’s been stiff. How he gels with the team and our structure is my huge question mark. I’m worried about another Fremantle scenario.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
My hopes for IQ have been put into perspective with Bucks' comments today. Oh well, have to wait a bit longer.
Reid coming in will be interesting. Buckley giving us no indication how we will play Cox or Reid by naming them both on the bench.
Bucks also mentioned they pay more attention to aerial prowess, leading to space and covering the ground than just height (who'd have thought?). Reid provides some aerial prowess and not much of the other attributes mentioned. Unsure how we'll play it but I don't think the selection will change things too much with JDG, WHE and Mihocek providing plenty of those other attributes.
I'm actually more worried about our centre clearances. I really don't want to see Phillips at centre bounces again as I don't think that's his forte. Surely we can get more creative here.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reids retirement can't come soon enough. At least clubs like Hawthorn have the balls to drop cooked players while the Pies are still a boys club.

Club can't see it, but he is a handicap to the forward line
Very strange post. Not sure if Sirius.

Boys club?

You really think people are selected because they’re all friends?

Doesn’t really explain how come Reid has been dropped various times in the past few seasons.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cox and grundy both looked sore last game, could be carrying something
Cox sore? Interesting.

Grundy loves work and working into a game.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure it will work but not sure we had other viable options.

Neither Crocker or Daicos are a replacement for Stephenson up front. Their inclusion would have required change in structure. Expect Reid to play out of the square as Stephenson has for large parts of game recently.

Suspect they have taken the least disruption option.

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Very strange post. Not sure if Sirius.

Boys club?

You really think people are selected because they’re all friends?

Doesn’t really explain how come Reid has been dropped various times in the past few seasons.

Perhaps not boys club. That's off the mark. Thanks for pulling me up on that.

Playing Reid is like playing Cloke in his last few seasons. They're cooked players and better to look at future players like Daicos for Stevo imo.

Watching Reid reminds me of a geriatric tube man from a used car lot.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps not boys club. That's off the mark. Thanks for pulling me up on that.

Playing Reid is like playing Cloke in his last few seasons. They're cooked players and better to look at future players like Daicos for Stevo imo.

Watching Reid reminds me of a geriatric tube man from a used car lot.
He’s coming closer to the end that’s for sure.

Looking at hawthorn tonight and their Roughead. Another looking closer to the end.

At some point it’s going to be it.

With our situation, it might be that roll of the dice to see what they can make of Reid, Cox together and utilising Mihocek more freely.

Unsure it’s a long term solution myself.

Of the three, to me, it’s simply a+must with Cox and Mihocek.

Will be an interesting watch (closed roof and all).

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
I'm with CTB re: Reidy
People think because he's got himself back off the injured list that he's BACK! But he's limited. His markings gone "two bite" his kicking lacks penetration and below his knees he's a liability. Let's hope for a sticky fingered Ben Reid this week cos if he doesn't mark it, the doggies (JJ) will be off to the races!

If anyone has been watching the VFL then Reid is a no brainer, Daicos and Crocker have not been up to scratch, good selection IMO

Though Daicos been Okay.

Crocker is not even close to it

Harry O

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
Stucks
FoxFooty at the half time discussion stated that the final Collingwood team was in and its Reid in for Stephenson.
3 forward 50 talls?
If I were a betting man I’d be shifting my money to the Dogs.
Stupid selection for a team that lacks speed and has lost a speedster.
Stick to the Sam Murray thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back