Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Western Bulldogs (R14, Sun 23/06 3:20pm MRVL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Out: Brown, Aish
In: Adams, IQ
Not to be judgmental, but did you watch today and maybe watch the VFL game?

Aish was terrific today.

Quaynor was ok VFL wise.

Sorry, just can’t see it.

As an aside Adams is looking to return two weeks from the bye, so hrs not a likely consideration.

Aug 24, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
You trollin’?
You're taking the piss yeah?
Aish had a great game, stop with this rubbish bias you have against him and try to actually be objective.
Not to be judgmental, but did you watch today and maybe watch the VFL game?

Aish was terrific today.

Quaynor was ok VFL wise.

Sorry, just can’t see it.

As an aside Adams is looking to return two weeks from the bye, so hrs not a likely consideration.
Whoa, yeah look we joking. The other bloke won’t even be ready either! It’ll be no change.

Tough crowd after a win and a long weekend!

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
My take which isn’t worth much was Cox gives us better structure than Ried. Frees up the others because he draws defenders. I just wish he would spoil more when he is out of position. I hate when he gets out marked by man in front.
I though Cal Brown had good moments and adds some bite across half forward.
The club did the right thing playing Sier in the twos until he was cherry ripe. He got low 20 possessions 3 weeks in a row and then 34 last week so he came in at top form. That’s good selection. For the same reason I wouldn’t mind seeing Daicos come in for Thomas only to give Daicos a good go at proving himself. His 2’s form is great.
I thought Gawn played a great game and was close to BOG but can’t knock the way Treloar busts his ass to gets to so many contests. With Pendles, Treloar, Sidey and now Sier in good form I am looking forward to Adams coming in and topping them off.
Loving we are a game clear in 2nd and 2 clear from 5th. Come on September.

CaptainHowdy87

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
3 or 4 people so far calling for Brown to be dropped and only one person calling for JT to be dropped. Amazing.

Greenwood has been in pretty good form for the last 3-4 weeks, but I think sometimes you have to make selections based on match-ups and Greenwood was never gonna keep up with Jayden Hunt. Would've been the perfect time to debut Quaynor to play on him.

Out: Thomas
In: Daicos

Josh has played every game to the byes now. He's had his chance.

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League
Pendles forth last for disposal efficiency. You won’t see that very often.
Sier 14 contested possessions lead the way for us. Needs to get more uncontested ball also but will build fitness.
28 pressure acts for Cal Brown lead the way. Hard to see him going out.
JT, though not dominant by any stretch, is dangerous when he gets a chance. Wouldn’t be close to the main target of our forward thrusts but manages to hit the targets by foot and also finds the goals when given any sniff. Having said that, Elliott is deadly when in song so wouldn’t be a bad option to drop if a forward had to go.
Marty Hore lead all comers with 12 intercept possessions, Gawn second on 10. We definitely miss Langdon in that regard.
DeGoey was quiet on large patches but is lethal when he is one out. Needs to get a bit more involved when the opposition have the ball. 0 F50 tackles or tackles full stop. 3 straight is a nice return though.
Stepho a bit wasteful by foot and had 5 clangers, but lead the game with 11 score involvements. Could have been a monster game if he had his kicking boots on.
WHE’s best game in a while, 3.0 and 12 marks which was a game high.
Cox was quiet but not unexpectedly after a break but still recorded a game high 4 contested marks, 1 ahead of Moore and Gawn.
Sidey was stella but you don’t tag him at your peril. Can be shut out of the game with a hard tag which we have seen a number of times lately.
Plenty to work on but plenty to work with for the second half of the season.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
My take which isn’t worth much was Cox gives us better structure than Ried. Frees up the others because he draws defenders. I just wish he would spoil more when he is out of position. I hate when he gets out marked by man in front.
I though Cal Brown had good moments and adds some bite across half forward.
The club did the right thing playing Sier in the twos until he was cherry ripe. He got low 20 possessions 3 weeks in a row and then 34 last week so he came in at top form. That’s good selection. For the same reason I wouldn’t mind seeing Daicos come in for Thomas only to give Daicos a good go at proving himself. His 2’s form is great.
I thought Gawn played a great game and was close to BOG but can’t knock the way Treloar busts his ass to gets to so many contests. With Pendles, Treloar, Sidey and now Sier in good form I am looking forward to Adams coming in and topping them off.
Loving we are a game clear in 2nd and 2 clear from 5th. Come on September.

I know what you mean about Cox spoiling, but I think his go is to try and palm the ball to the side or back. Spoiling and risking the ball coming back out is probably the least desirable option.

That said, he is quite often "beaten" when he's pushed under the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Josh Thomas is obviously the weakest link in the current side, but Bucks seems to be very supportive of his form. I'd really love for Bucks to elaborate on why he rates Thomas' form highly because in 12 games, I doubt he's been in our best dozen performers once.

He isn't kicking the goals that De Goey and Stephenson are, he isn't presenting as the leading half forward/link-up player that Hoskin-Elliott is, he isn't offering the run and carry and pressure that Brown is and he isn't putting his body on the line like Varcoe is. We have an abundance of depth - the real benefit of that is that we can omit the under performers to the next level down so they can built continuity and confidence before returning to the seniors.

There's simply nothing impressive about him in season 2019, and if Elliott is fit enough to play the next game, surely the decision is obvious.

That's two weeks in a row now that I would have Thomas as our worst performer, in addition to an already sub-par string of performances.

I know what you mean about Cox spoiling, but I think his go is to try and palm the ball to the side or back. Spoiling and risking the ball coming back out is probably the least desirable option.

That said, he is quite often "beaten" when he's pushed under the footy.
Cox looked underdone in the first half. Timing was way off. He got better in the 2nd half of the game

And if he can give Grundy a few extra minutes rest than Reid can, then he's worth his spot.
I think that Cox being less mobile then Reid works in our favor. Our mobile fwds have more space to work with. Reid is a good tall fwd but does not have the tactical upside that Cox brings.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would be tempted to have Billy and Taylor come back through the 2s. Get one game in their legs before elevation. Team is going ok at the moment.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Big decision for the selection committee post bye. Adams and Elliott are best 22. Need to fit in Langdon too.

Ried, Daicos and Schaz all performing well in the VFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back