Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Western Bulldogs (R14, Sun 23/06 3:20pm MRVL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a theory Adams game doesn’t suit Marvel all that much, think he performs much better at the G

Also have a theory as a team we are very good at Marvel now, hope it holds this week

Do you really think the ground changes how players play? At the end of the day Adams is in to win clearances and contested balls, slightly shorter wings shouldn't really change that.

Not sure they’ll be any changes

Josh Thomas should get dropped. Josh Daicos deserves the reward after a solid 3-4 games and Thomas doesn't deserve to be in the best 22 until he earns it.

He doesn't even tackle like he did last season, his body language is like he doesn't even want to be there.

A few weeks in the VFL might do him the world of good and get him back to his form of last season.

Josh Thomas should get dropped. Josh Daicos deserves the reward after a solid 3-4 games and Thomas doesn't deserve to be in the best 22 until he earns it.

He doesn't even tackle like he did last season, his body language is like he doesn't even want to be there.

A few weeks in the VFL might do him the world of good and get him back to his form of last season.
And yet the coaches really rate him and say he is doing his role and sacrificing himself for the team.
That doesn’t sound like he doesn’t want to be there, more like he’d do anything for his team mates.

I’m not discussing whether he should or shouldn’t be in the side, more about him looking like he doesn’t want to be there.
To me he looks fully engaged and focussed and loves being around the place.

So an interesting perspective you’ve raised.

And yet the coaches really rate him and say he is doing his role and sacrificing himself for the team.
That doesn’t sound like he doesn’t want to be there, more like he’d do anything for his team mates.

I’m not discussing whether he should or shouldn’t be in the side, more about him looking like he doesn’t want to be there.
To me he looks fully engaged and focussed and loves being around the place.

So an interesting perspective you’ve raised.
Very fair point you raise. I'm definitely one of the fans missing the scoreboard impact that JT brought last year, but internally he is rated highly and doing his job so I'm happy to back the selection committee in

I'd love to see Daics get a game soon as well though!

Do you really think the ground changes how players play? At the end of the day Adams is in to win clearances and contested balls, slightly shorter wings shouldn't really change that.
One underrated aspect of bis game is that he turns and looks inboard which often really opens things up. Marvels narrower wings makes his lack of precision more dangerous when he does go inboard.

Given the club has listed last game's four emergencies as the only players in the mix this week I would suggest no changes, unless an injury of some sort occurs.

Varcoe continues to flirt with being dropped though - his form has really fallen off a cliff this year. JT also yet the committee seems intent on backing him in. Daicos probably deserves a run soon though.

Very fair point you raise. I'm definitely one of the fans missing the scoreboard impact that JT brought last year, but internally he is rated highly and doing his job so I'm happy to back the selection committee in

I'd love to see Daics get a game soon as well though!
I think the recent praise from Bucks is being overstated. Before round, Bucks said similar things about Greenwood and how important his versatility is to the team. Then picked him to play VFL in round.

Bucks has said a OT this year about role players, and guys coming in if they match the needed role.

We know he will drop a guy eg Reid if someone better at the role is available eg Cox.

BTW Cox played his role well, crashed some packs, drew double teams etc, we score more with him there even if he scores nothing.

So to my mind Adams (if fit) is an auto in, but I'd hate to see Sier dropped for him. I guess Varcoe has been a bit lflat recently. Elliot is a different case. Our forward line is going well, don't muck wither successful formula. Yes Elliot is potentially another de Goey but we have one of those. Can he do Thomas' forward-mid role? Is he better than HE at mid forward/wing?

Great to have this problem, last year we were finding gold in our last handful of dirt. Now we may have to leave gold out.

No change. Just pumped a side by 41 points.
When Elliott and Adams are ready they will come in. Would play Elliott for a half in the VFL first off. Adams back in for the Hawks game.

Solid line up:

B - Howe Roughead Greenwood
HB - Maynard Moore Crisp
C - Sidebottom Pendlebury Phillips
HF - Varcoe Mihochek WHE
F - DeGoey Cox Stephenson
R - Grundy Sier Treloar
INT - Aish Mayne Brown Thomas

Yes, poor kicking skills get exposed at Marvel more imo

I think that’s a psychological one. IMO, there’s only two grounds in the league that really offer something different, SCG and KP, because of their dimensions. If turnovers were punished more at Marvel we’d counteract that by tweaking the way we moved the ball and setup defensively.

Bucks has said a OT this year about role players, and guys coming in if they match the needed role.

We know he will drop a guy eg Reid if someone better at the role is available eg Cox.

BTW Cox played his role well, crashed some packs, drew double teams etc, we score more with him there even if he scores nothing.

So to my mind Adams (if fit) is an auto in, but I'd hate to see Sier dropped for him. I guess Varcoe has been a bit lflat recently. Elliot is a different case. Our forward line is going well, don't muck wither successful formula. Yes Elliot is potentially another de Goey but we have one of those. Can he do Thomas' forward-mid role? Is he better than HE at mid forward/wing?

Great to have this problem, last year we were finding gold in our last handful of dirt. Now we may have to leave gold out.
Elliott in for Thomas, Adams in for Varcoe.
That’s pretty much our best side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Elliott would do Thomas role better. He is good up the ground. He'd do Varcoes role better too if he'd pull his finger out defensively. He had double digit tackles in his first game, was noted for his tackling when he burst on the scene, but you rarely see that from him anymore. I wonder what happened there?

Can’t really see there being any change this week, especially after the bye. The same 22 will be fit and firing on Sunday afternoon.
The injury list isn’t looking too bad I think, certainly manageable and better than last year.

I reckon Elliott would do Thomas role better. He is good up the ground. He'd do Varcoes role better too if he'd pull his finger out defensively. He had double digit tackles in his first game, was noted for his tackling when he burst on the scene, but you rarely see that from him anymore. I wonder what happened there?

I'd put a lot of that down to 2 things, firstly, not getting the same midfield rotations as he was then, and secondly, he's progressed from being the "hunter" to being the "hunted".

EDIT: Make that 3, his body hasn't been up to it.

He'd do Varcoes role better too if he'd pull his finger out defensively. He had double digit tackles in his first game, was noted for his tackling when he burst on the scene, but you rarely see that from him anymore. I wonder what happened there?
I think he's harshly marked in that area, (possibly due to his first game).
He chases and harasses as well as anyone in the games I've seen this year.

Some talk a star Pies youngster may be suspended for at least this week's game. Not sure if AFL or Internal suspension. Betting may be related.

Some talk a star Pies youngster may be suspended for at least this week's game. Not sure if AFL or Internal suspension. Betting may be related.

Name please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back