Preview Changes/prematch discussion vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is, if he comes in and we win, what does it achieve?

However, you play Mountford and we win, it's huge.

Roll the dice North, go All-In on youf.
I think people have forgotten how poor Swallow has become. He won't be able to keep up with Jones, Viney or Oliver.

A bit of rain, a soggy ball and a bit of breeze, he'd be lucky to kick 25m.

Mountford would give us more chance of a win.

I was against playing a 34yr old full forward, but at least he has shown he still has it, and can probably be the difference. Swallow is not this.

I think people have forgotten how poor Swallow has become. He won't be able to keep up with Jones, Viney or Oliver.

A bit of rain, a soggy ball and a bit of breeze, he'd be lucky to kick 25m.

Mountford would give us more chance of a win.

I was against playing a 34yr old full forward, but at least he has shown he still has it, and can probably be the difference. Swallow is not this.
Jones is the perfect match for Swallow .....both are on their last legs.

Not if Zeibell were to be moved either forward or back permanently.
Waite - Brown - Wood - Garner: enough marking power there.

Hansen - Tarrant - Thompson - Durdin: no room there either, especially considering he's never played there before.

In the guts or bust for the captain.

JMac is one of my favourite players but he has been average this year and was both average and soft yesterday. Not good enough from a leader. Dropping him would be a huge statement to our inconsistent 150~ game brigade, and at the moment Mullet has him covered.
Correct......Luke Beverage drops Little Libba, without even blinking. Thats the difference between a good coach and a bad'un.

Sorry to interrupt, just been doing a touch of Oppo Scouting ;)

In response to the above tho, for Sunday squads, the starting 18 are indeed locked in, and it's only the extended 7-man bench that is changed at final selection. So if you wish to make changes to the starting 18, you need to formally do so, as you've obviously done this morning.
Okay, so this is formal AFL policy now? For how long I wonder... I assumed this was simply a North match committee fetish in recent times. I'm getting old. I guess it limits 'ducks and drakes', NTTAWWT either way.

My initial comment still stands. Apart from testing of injuries, which we know is a factor for Garner, it can be used as I suggested, to send a message to under-performing players.

We don't need Swallow. Not sure why we are rushing him back.

Midfield has looked so much better without him.

Our midfield was completely smashed last week.

Could certainly have done with Swallow's attack on the man and footy.

Sure he is very limited offensively, but he is tough and one of the best tacklers in the AFL.

Waite - Brown - Wood - Garner: enough marking power there.

Hansen - Tarrant - Thompson - Durdin: no room there either, especially considering he's never played there before.

In the guts or bust for the captain.
As a midfielder Zeibell is a b+ at best........we know is an excellent kick for goal as a forward. I know Ive said this b4 but I think him down back would armour the other back 5 ( mainly for the shear fact they'd fear not to perform under the close eye of him ), let the man run straight lines and put the fear of god into the opposition forward 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield was completely smashed last week.

Could certainly have done with Swallow's attack on the man and footy.

Sure he is very limited offensively, but he is tough and one of the best tacklers in the AFL.
He has high tackle stats due to constantly being second to the ball.

Yes he may slightly improve the midfield this week, but In the long run he will not.

Time to give guys like Mountford and co their time to see if they are up to the level.

I'm just not sure Swallow brings enough to justify game time over a developing player. If he was playing Jarrad Waite level football then of course he is in. Based on this year he would only be a minimal upgrade anyway.

Okay, so this is formal AFL policy now? For how long I wonder... I assumed this was simply a North match committee fetish in recent times. I'm getting old. I guess it limits 'ducks and drakes', NTTAWWT either way.

My initial comment still stands. Apart from testing of injuries, which we know is a factor for Garner, it can be used as I suggested, to send a message to under-performing players.
A few years I think, no idea exactly tho. As soon as you see the weekly document on protective padding/braces that lists every player wearing something more than strapping tape, it makes you realise how officious and regimented everything is at AFL House.

We've also used the extended bench a few times this year as a shot across the bow at an under performing player. I would assume that players would know if they're playing or not well before the teams are finalised, tho not sure about what you guys do, but all 7 of ours get named at Casey as well, which you'd think we make them realise how close they are to being out of the team.

Never said JZ will be dropped? Nor should he be.

He plays in the guts. Whether that be good or bad, that's where he stays with the occasional stint forward.
Anddddd.......what Im trying to say is he isnt a midfielder and that the coach would/should investigate playing him as a forward or as a back say 65% of his game time with spurts in the guts from time to time. With 2017 being classed as a development year , it would be the worst thing to do for Zeibell. And for those younger players or those who havent played major time in the centre ie LMac, Atley or JMac.

Avergaing 27.5 touches, 5 tackles and a goal this year. Last legs indeed...
Yep and @ % in disposal efficiency? You left that out.

You dont have to agree, he has peaked and is on the downhill side of his career......sure he has been immense for your side through the schitty years but where does he stand in your midfield today.

you feel better?
Youve had your 2 cents worth , now move along........but I be very surprised Swallow doesnt play against him.
Hahaha fair enough. I do feel better. Because Andrew Swallow is moving along at 16 disposals at 65%, which is not at all comparable to Jones' season. You must have only watched him against Richmond, and in the first quarter against Hawthorn.

Zeibell is Captain.....will not be dropped. Wood is bobbing up and down ATM.
What's wood done now . Everyone was saying he was the second coming now he is bobbing up and down . Give some of these guys a chance to prove themselves . He hasn't played huge amounts of footy over the last couple of years .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back