Preview Changes/Preview – Round 10 vs Yartapuulti @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking this morning that when they bring Salem in it will be for a home game like Fremantle on the 27th so that way he gets at least one VFL game under his belt.

But throwing him in now, interstate, against Port, which I feel is a 50/50 game at best, is a bit of an ask. Hopefully we don't get to see May from the goal square chip it out to Salem who then chips it 15 metres to someone else etc etc.

I just pray we can get a T.McDonald in full majestic form onwards.
I nearly vomited when you described May 2 Salem. No doubt I'll probably vomit for real tomorrow night.

WTF is Goody thinking? Good old crazy Goody making 2 s**t selection calls. Feel free to tag me tomorrow night when both set the world on fire and we win by 60.

I nearly vomited when you described May 2 Salem. No doubt I'll probably vomit for real tomorrow night.

WTF is Goody thinking? Good old crazy Goody making 2 s**t selection calls. Feel free to tag me tomorrow night when both set the world on fire and we win by 60.
Not sure why but all I can think of was this
download (13).jpeg

The usual hilarious melts on here.

Goodwin was pretty transparent that Salem was a chance to play, but VFL was more likely.

He's clearly been impressive in training, or they wouldn't have picked him. He was never an auto in.

What evidence do we have this year of Goodwin playing his favourites, aside from a couple of Melksham sub appearances?

Yikes. Don't know what I was expecting tbh. McDonald is meh, s**t that makes Brown look bad but I have no doubt Tmac will stink it up enough to give Brown another sniff. Would have preferred neither tbh

Salem in. Of course. Couldn't let him play VFL could we

Goodwin was pretty transparent that Salem was a chance to play, but VFL was more likely.

He's clearly been impressive in training, or they wouldn't have picked him. He was never an auto in.

What evidence do we have this year of Goodwin playing his favourites, aside from a couple of Melksham sub appearances?

1. TMac is cooked, he got really cocky with his Lisfranc and returned too soon last year. He doesn't have it in him anymore. Would rather Josh Schache. Prove me wrong.

2. Salem has had thyroid + knee problems and he doesn't earn his stripes in the 2s. When he got injured last year we did fine without him, in fact our balance was better without him than with him, as soon as he was rushed back in, again without a stint in Casey, it screwed our balance up. Prove me wrong.

I hope they do prove me wrong. Will they? I highly doubt it.

I didn’t even mention favourites, I’m critical because salem is always bad coming off injuries and they’ve brought him straight back in. Guy hasn’t even played a game this year why rush him back into the 1s?

1. TMac is cooked, he got really cocky with his Lisfranc and returned too soon last year. He doesn't have it in him anymore. Would rather Josh Schache. Prove me wrong.

2. Salem has had thyroid + knee problems and he doesn't earn his stripes in the 2s. When he got injured last year we did fine without him, in fact our balance was better without him than with him, as soon as he was rushed back in, again without a stint in Casey, it screwed our balance up. Prove me wrong.

I hope they do prove me wrong. Will they? I highly doubt it.
I would also prefer that neither of them was picked. I'm just not sure where the line that Goodwin picks his favourites comes from when he's not been doing that.

I didn’t even mention favourites, I’m critical because salem is always bad coming off injuries and they’ve brought him straight back in. Guy hasn’t even played a game this year why rush him back into the 1s?
I agree, but its not like they didn't line him up to play twos. He has clearly done something right in training to earn a call up.

I agree, but its not like they didn't line him up to play twos. He has clearly done something right in training to earn a call up.
We've clearly seen Goodwin pick Salem too early more than once and we've seen how it goes. I think you're choosing to play the anti hero here, you could apply your logic to anyone who gets picked then and say what's it for us to question they clearly did well in training.

There's no good reason to throw Salem straight in, he's not gonna star and if it's pressure game more than likely he's gonna be a step behind

We all could see TMac coming in for Petty. Makes sense even if we don't want TMac in the side. But the Salem selection makes no sense. Hasn't played since September last year and his form last year doesn't warrant an auto inclusion after injury. I'm interested to see where we play him. It has to be high forward to replace Sparrow. Hibberd, McVee, Bowey, Gus down back covered. If he plays that high forward role and he can hit up some leading forwards and maximise impact, then I will eat humble pie. But if he plays that chip kick sideways BS from half back, then Goody can GAGF!

On the other hand, the other option was probably JJ, so I'm not sure we're losing or gaining much either way.

We really should be beating Port, and beating them well. Love Horne Francis and reckon he will be possibly the best player in the comp in a few years, and Butters and Rozee are dangerous. Finlayson has proved to be a very handy acquisition up forward and we all know Aliir is a gun intercept defender. But they are missing Dixon, Marshall, Rioli, Fantasia and Georgiades. That's 21 scoring shots using Round 1 as an example where they all played. Close to their whole forwardline is out. Plus Duursma is out and their ruck options are poor. No excuses tonight tbh. Would be a really poor result if we lost this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all could see TMac coming in for Petty. Makes sense even if we don't want TMac in the side. But the Salem selection makes no sense. Hasn't played since September last year and his form last year doesn't warrant an auto inclusion after injury. I'm interested to see where we play him. It has to be high forward to replace Sparrow. Hibberd, McVee, Bowey, Gus down back covered. If he plays that high forward role and he can hit up some leading forwards and maximise impact, then I will eat humble pie. But if he plays that chip kick sideways BS from half back, then Goody can GAGF!

On the other hand, the other option was probably JJ, so I'm not sure we're losing or gaining much either way.

Yeah I’ll be more accepting of the salem pick if he’s in that HF/mid role. If he goes back and god forbid Brayshaw goes in the middle Goody hasn’t learnt much.

Absolutely no excuse to drop this one, IMO. Port is missing nearly an entire forward line (Dixon, Marshall, Georgiades, Rioli and the ghost of Fantasia) and are sporting the who's who of 'who the **** is that' in their place (i.e. Ollie Lord, Jed McEntee and Francis Evans et al).

Rozee, Butters and JHF have been really good this year, but our bigger, more seasoned bodies in the midfield should have them covered, as long as we don't let them burst out the front of stoppages, which we are prone to do sometimes.

Lycett is potentially the most cooked player in the league running around at the moment, so you'd hope Gawn and Grundy exploit that, too. On the topic of ruck matchups, I hope we match up Gawn with Finlayson where possible – Grundy can be exposed defensively, and Finlayson is going to bolt forward from the ruck whenever he gets the chance. Gawn is more capable of going with him, and exploiting him the other way.

But think this game should be won down back. If we can force them to kick long under pressure regularly, May and Lever should have an absolute field day.

Think the bigger body thing is a myth although I agree with most of what you say scythe. Oliver tackles pretty strong, petracca only plays like a big body with the ball. In dispute smaller quicker types can get him. Vineys tiny and then we really aren't that big. They have Boak, Wines etc who are strong as well.

I think it's gonna be the weight of numbers of our clearances vs the purity of theirs. They run and carry out of stoppage far better than us but we defend better

Oh god, if I see him do ONE sideways chip kick in going to lose my s**t. I know it's just a game and irrational to get so worked up but by crikey that stuff from Salem pisses me off.

the Salem selection has really pissed me off, he hasn't performed well at AFL level since the Grand Final- absolutely no reason for him to come straight back in. I was hoping he'd spend at least a month in the 2s
He's gotta be one of the most unfit players on our list, when he's not elite with his ball use, not sure he offers much more than what McVee does. Weird selection.

Surprised there been not much Harmes love in here. Wasn't he in decent form in the VFL recently?

I rate him highly and think it would be good to have him in the side for a few weeks and then hard tag him on Daicos.
Thought he was away from the club for a bit again?

Absolutely no excuse to drop this one, IMO. Port is missing nearly an entire forward line (Dixon, Marshall, Georgiades, Rioli and the ghost of Fantasia) and are sporting the who's who of 'who the **** is that' in their place (i.e. Ollie Lord, Jed McEntee and Francis Evans et al).

Rozee, Butters and JHF have been really good this year, but our bigger, more seasoned bodies in the midfield should have them covered, as long as we don't let them burst out the front of stoppages, which we are prone to do sometimes.

Lycett is potentially the most cooked player in the league running around at the moment, so you'd hope Gawn and Grundy exploit that, too. On the topic of ruck matchups, I hope we match up Gawn with Finlayson where possible – Grundy can be exposed defensively, and Finlayson is going to bolt forward from the ruck whenever he gets the chance. Gawn is more capable of going with him, and exploiting him the other way.

But think this game should be won down back. If we can force them to kick long under pressure regularly, May and Lever should have an absolute field day.
I think the only way they kick a score against us is if they kick it low and hard. We're not great at covering the ball on deck in our D50 and they are missing several key tall forwards. We are a poor clearance side, so they'll get plenty of looks moving it forward. Pressure from the mids is key here. Not sure the wet weather helps us in this regard, but we have our own issues down forward with decent talls.

Gus more into the middle IMO.
Just for the angry reacts - I don't want this to happen, Gus' turnovers go through the roof in the middle, but it's a guess as to what I think Goody will do with Salem coming back in and no Sparrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back