Preview Changes/Preview – Round 13 v Collingwood (Big Freeze 9)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I'm overly looking forward to the game, but I'd still rather watch this then another rubbish game against a battling side. For mine:

Out: Bowey (concussion), Chandler (rest)
In: Hibberd, Oliver

Tomlinson is bad, but we need an extra key tall for May and Lever to function it seems.

Don't love dropping (managing) a forward for an extra mid, but if Oliver is indeed fit, not sure who else they'd drop.

Harmes will be rubbed out, so we'll need a new sub.

10 days til the game, not sure we need to give anyone a rest as such tbh.

OUT: Bowey (inj), Joel Smith, Harmes - sub (susp)
IN: Hibberd, Oliver, Woewodin - sub

Know some don't like debuting as sub, but Woey is the ideal tough but quick against the Pies.

Out: Bowey, Tomlinson, Harmes
In: Hibberd, Oliver, Laurie

Chandler is beyond rest territory given the bye is next week and should now be dropped to sub. Still runs hard, but a liability by foot over the past 6 weeks (I have banged on about this, its mis-management of a young player, his foot skills were his strength at the start of the year).

Tommo can go as no need for the extra tall defender and if he was 10 steps behind McKay with Carlton's slow as heck ball movement ,imagine him vs Collingwood?

I'd like to see Howes or Woey come in, but KB isn't the day to blood a youngster. Collingwood absolutely love bullying debutants since Watts; their supporters demand it. Neither is banging down the door enough to make that sort of thing worth it on debut.

Joel Smith was non-existent but you can't drop him after one game imo. Our forward mix is our biggest question mark and we can't chop and change each week. Play him for a month and see if it works.

Saying that, is there a betting market for Darcy Moore to break the AFL intercept mark record next week?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Joel Smith was non-existent but you can't drop him after one game imo. Our forward mix is our biggest question mark and we can't chop and change each week. Play him for a month and see if it works.

Saying that, is there a betting market for Darcy Moore to break the AFL intercept mark record next week?

Joel Smith will probably be judged more on what he did structurally and defensively than what he did ball in hand. It’s very hard for us to judge that as lots would be off camera on the TV coverage. Unless you focussed on him at the ground you also wouldn’t see much of it.

Brown is clearly likely to kick more goals than Smith at AFL level but I’d guess it’s what Brown does (or doesn’t do) when he doesn’t have the ball that has him behind Smith at the moment. Smith is very quick and you’d expect he’s much more effective than Brown getting across to shut down space to defend and help to lock the ball in the front half.

I’d give Smith a run at least until Petty is back.

I usually love going to Queen's/King's birthday games, but we never win them, and the thought of being surrounded by Collingwood supporters at like 6pm with work the next day after a loss, rough. Still try and make it though.

Oliver in hopefully, Hibberd in for Bowey, Smith stays I reckon.

One thing I liked about Smith's game was how he charged at contests he had no right to get to.
He also got his hands to it plenty of times. It was an almost game. If he stuck a few of those grabs it would have been a pretty good game from him.

Joel Smith will probably be judged more on what he did structurally and defensively than what he did ball in hand. It’s very hard for us to judge that as lots would be off camera on the TV coverage. Unless you focussed on him at the ground you also wouldn’t see much of it.

Brown is clearly likely to kick more goals than Smith at AFL level but I’d guess it’s what Brown does (or doesn’t do) when he doesn’t have the ball that has him behind Smith at the moment. Smith is very quick and you’d expect he’s much more effective than Brown getting across to shut down space to defend and help to lock the ball in the front half.

I’d give Smith a run at least until Petty is back.

Kind of like a lesser version of Petty up forward. Not gonna kick bags, but he competes hard in the air and on the deck, and works much harder defensively to keep the ball in than Brown and TMac do.

Smith the least of our problems and if there was a week to not drop him it's this week against a team that can hurt you on the counter attack from defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Bowey (inj), Harmes (sub/susp)
In: Oliver, Jordon (sub)

Brayshaw will probably drop back more into D50 again with Oliver returning. If Hibberd plays they'll likely drop Tomlinson for him I reckon.
Nah, Goody already said both Hibberd and Oliver will play barring any mishaps during the week.

Hibberd for Bowey
Oliver for Harmes

I'd move Chandler to sub. Had a very ordinary 4 or 5 weeks tbh.

Nah, Goody already said both Hibberd and Oliver will play barring any mishaps during the week.

Hibberd for Bowey
Oliver for Harmes

I'd move Chandler to sub. Had a very ordinary 4 or 5 weeks tbh.

Harmes was sub, so you'd need to go Oliver for Chandler if you're dropping him?

Tommo can go as no need for the extra tall defender

We scored the majority of our points from defensive half launches. May had 16 kicks, Lever had 12 intercepts. Tomlinson was part of the reason that was able to happen.

Assuming Elliot is back as expected and McStay isn't, then the Pies will likely use:

Cox - 211cm --------- May - 193cm
Johnson - 193cm ---- Tomlinson - 194cm
Michocek - 192cm --- Lever - 195cm
Ginnivan - 185cm --- Hibberd - 186cm
McCreery - 186cm --- Rivers -188cm
Elliot - 178cm -------- Salem - 184cm
Hill - 175cm ---------- McVee - 185cm

Take Tomlinson out of that and it gets lopsided IMO, even worse if somehow McStay comes back in.

So for mine, the effectiveness of our score launches and the height matchups means we need that 3rd tall and currently Tommo is the best option.

We scored the majority of our points from defensive half launches. May had 16 kicks, Lever had 12 intercepts. Tomlinson was part of the reason that was able to happen.

This is the way. Lever was a goddam liability against Freo, and while Tommo got touched up by McKay, Lever was miles more effective when he could play as 3rd tall.

Tommo must stay until Petty's back.

Similarly Smith played his role defensively. Roo was three times the player last night without another tall forward to compete against. Let him and Gawn/Grundy bring the ball to ground and Fritsch/Pickett/Spargo/ANB do their work.

Bowey and Harmes out. Viney also pinged for a dangerous tackle so tba if the MRO suspend him too. Wouldn't be surprised if they do; Jonas was rubbed out for a tackle that got htb.
Oliver in. Gus moves back to cover Bowey. If Viney is out maybe bring in Laurie or Woey?
Not sure we need Tomo for the Pies. Their forward line isn't huge, esp if McStay is out. Maybe give Disco a run as a more mobile tallish option? Not sure if Hibbo will be right.

Would go:
In: Oliver, Disco, (Viney)
Out: Bowey, Tomo, (Hibberd or Woey Woe Woe Jnr Shabbado)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back